Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Serifed Runes

Are there any tastefully serifed rune fonts out there? Basically something that brings the runes close to the aesthetic level of the latin/cyrillic alphabet... including intelligent kerning, and all.

If not, has anyone else thought of doing something like that before?

And is there anyone on mobileread that has the font-making know-how to do something like that?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd also be happy with non-serifed but non-traditional fonts that strip runes from the "rough" look they generally have. Basically I do not want to imitate the crudeness of carving in wood, but want something delicate and aesthetic.

The closest that anything I know of comes to this would be the Csenge Old Hungarian (runic) font:
http://www.freeweb.hu/rovasirashonla...k/rstdcsen.zip

- Ahi
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess allrunes is not what you are looking for.

Something more script-like: Moon Runes, Tolkien Dwarf Runes.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
ahi
Wizard

Allrunes is, stylistically, definitely not what I'm looking for. The letter-shapes are too primitive/unrefined (albeit, I am sure, intentionally so).

The Moon Runes and Tolkien Dwarf Runes are nicer, but they do not seem like they would be good for body text.

- Ahi
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard

How difficult is it to make METAFONT fonts, if you are not particularly mathematically inclined?

- Ahi
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never done METAFONT, sorry.

More rune fonts here.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard

Futhark Regular is the closest to what I'm looking for, but it still doesn't look intended for small font size body text use...

I guess it's not surprising that most runic fonts are intended primarily for decorative use.

- Ahi
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Futhark Regular is the closest to what I'm looking for, but it still doesn't look intended for small font size body text use...

I guess it's not surprising that most runic fonts are intended primarily for decorative use.

- Ahi
Since they predate modern typography, and were dropped as soon as writing was easier than "carve this in wood," yeah. I don't expect you to find any with good kerning options; they stopped having widespread use (if you can claim they ever had that) before typography was developed.

None of them ever worked well for body text. Even if the serifs & spacing can be worked out, there's no punctuation, no lower-case letters, no proper italic version, and so on.

Are you specifically looking for a Futhark-ish set of runes (the germanic/norse etc alphabet set), or any runes at all, as long as they've got usable typography?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Since they predate modern typography, and were dropped as soon as writing was easier than "carve this in wood," yeah. I don't expect you to find any with good kerning options; they stopped having widespread use (if you can claim they ever had that) before typography was developed.

None of them ever worked well for body text. Even if the serifs & spacing can be worked out, there's no punctuation, no lower-case letters, no proper italic version, and so on.

Are you specifically looking for a Futhark-ish set of runes (the germanic/norse etc alphabet set), or any runes at all, as long as they've got usable typography?
You are, of course, perfectly right, Elfwreck.

I'm looking for any runes as long as they've got usable typography... including typographically aesthetic proportions, possibly not-just-shrunk-down-miniscules, et cetera. If nothing else, they'll give me some sense of what is possible with a bit of creativity, no matter how ahistorical.

Though specifically I'd be most interested in a font that covered Old Turkic or Old Hungarian.

- Ahi
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard

I should mention that I believe Hungarian runes had use into fairly recent times by peasants (in certain parts of the country and/or what is now no longer part of the country), albeit not as tools of general literacy but rather of tally/record keeping, and even for contract-like agreements. (For that latter, the agreement would be carved onto a stick, and the stick would subsequently be split [as much as possible in the middle, so as to leave parts of the runes on both halves], one to be kept by each parties. And no, I'm not sure about the finer points of how this worked.)

- Ahi
Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

If you are really interested, you could start a project like this for tengwar.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If you are really interested, you could start a project like this for tengwar.
Thanks! This is great, actually!

Maybe I need to refresh on my algebra and try to get into metafont...

- Ahi
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
ahi
Wizard

Lookee here...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Holy Smokes --- Nice!!!
Where did you get these? Or did you make them?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Holy Smokes --- Nice!!!
Where did you get these? Or did you make them?
Nope. I cannot claim it.

I found it here:

http://naeddyr.deviantart.com/art/Se...font-111220894