Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Kindle firmware update tool

I noticed that I forgot to release a script to extract Kindle firmware updates. So I decided to combine it with update maker, make it a bit more flexible and add support for K2 (though I can't test this part). The result is this script.
The simplest usage is to convert a shell script to an "update" to run it on the device. For example, to add a custom screensaver.
Usage:
Code:
kindle_update_tool.py e update_mmm.bin
  Extract a Kindle or Kindle 2 firmware update file. Outputs a .tgz file with decrypted content.
kindle_update_tool.py m [-k2] name file1 [file2 ...]
  Makes a Kindle or Kindle 2 (if -k2 specified) OTA firmware update file from the list of files.
  "name" is the update file suffix (final file will be called update_name.bin).
  Any file with .sh extension will be marked as a shell script to be executed.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If anyone needs a copy of the BIN file, just ask. I'll send you a pm with the link. I won't post the link becuase we have several members who work for Amazon. I don't want Amazon to disable it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What is the extractor supposed to give me when I run it on the 1.2 update? I though I would get a tar.gz containing a lot of files. All that I see in it is the BIN file. Did I misunderstand your post, or did I find a bug?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
1.x updates are two-stage. The OTA update extracts a "full" update which is processed after reboot. Run the script on the second bin again.
E.g. here's what is inside tgz of 1.0.4 update:
Code:
update-018-MR1-014475.bin
update-fullota.dat
update-fullota.ffs
After extracting update-018-MR1-014475.bin in turn:
Code:
bootloader
eink
ioc
scripts
utils
uImage
update-018-MR1-014475.dat
content_fs.img
initrd_fs.img
initrd-recover_fs.img
root_fs.img
list.txt
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Cool tool. Thx.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Excellent. For those who want to play around, the arm-none-linux-gnueabi toolchain from codesourcery + igorsk's update maker could be a lot of fun
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
goldfinger
goldfinger began at the beginning.

dropbear

I have been searching for an arm compiled dropbear so that we could use ssh instead of busybox. Anyone find one or can help?
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
I have been searching for an arm compiled dropbear so that we could use ssh instead of busybox. Anyone find one or can help?
Give me a day or two. I'll tar up my init script and compiled dropbear.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
goldfinger

Sweet. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
superzhou
superzhou began at the beginning.

Hi igorsk, I have several questions about the your tools.
1, What is the ffs file? It looks like a shell script, but I remember you use .sh file before.
2, How should I set the update version? Is it created from the "name"?
3, Do I need at least two files to create the bin?(I saw a foo.bar from the screen saver example.

Thanks
superzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzhou View Post
1, What is the ffs file? It looks like a shell script, but I remember you use .sh file before.
Scripts (and all files) may have whatever extension you want. However, Igor's script checks for a ".sh" extension to know to set the correct permissions in the tarball. (so use .sh)
Quote:
2, How should I set the update version? Is it created from the "name"?
It doesn't matter. The script will set a minimum version of 0, and a maximum version of something higher than the real versions will ever see. This version is only used for the update to run, not for setting the actual software version of the Kindle.
Quote:
3, Do I need at least two files to create the bin?(I saw a foo.bar from the screen saver example.
That was just because I'm totally lazy and didn't feel like looking up the correct way to force the array/list type in python so that the for loop would work with a single entity. This new script works fine with a single file.

Oh, and thanks for the new script, Igor.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger View Post
You'll find complete arm dropbear's, key generators and scripts to setup the works over in the iLiad group here on Mobileread.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #13
superzhou
superzhou began at the beginning.

Thanks clarknova,
Now I know why my ffs file did not run last night, I guess you had changed your ffs file to 755 yourself.

I was trying to replace the font like you did. Where is the font directory now? Are they still in /usr/java/lib/fonts/ like Kindle1?
I don't remember there is a Serif font in the kindle 1 directory.
superzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
goldfinger

/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/KindleBlackboxItalic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Helvetica_LT_75_Bold.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/KindleBlackboxBoldItalic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/KindleBlackboxRegular.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Helvetica_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Kindle_Symbol.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Helvetica_LT_66_Medium_Italic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_76_Bold_Italic.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_75_Bold.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Caecilia_LT_65_Medium.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Helvetica_LT_65_Medium.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/Kindle_MonospacedSymbol.ttf
/usr/java/lib/fonts/KindleBlackboxBold.ttf
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And get it now before Amazon says it's illegal too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote