Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
222fbj
222fbj began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tablet
Question How to change Author metadata from LN,FN to FN LN?

I have 30+ books in a library that have Author metadata entered as Last Name comma First Name. I want to change these to FN LN with no comma.

I found a post which reads:
Quote:
You can use Bulk Mode Search and Replace to select in author_sort: (.+) and replace in the authors: \1
I've used bulk replace for simple text replacement, but do not understand how to use .+ as the post says.. Can anyone provide more detail or an example?

Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks
222fbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222fbj View Post
I have 30+ books in a library that have Author metadata entered as Last Name comma First Name. I want to change these to FN LN with no comma.

I found a post which reads:

I've used bulk replace for simple text replacement, but do not understand how to use .+ as the post says.. Can anyone provide more detail or an example?

Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks
Get the Quality Check plugin and it is even simpler.
That is issue supported under Fix
Another fine and useful FIX is the option to format author initials consistently (you configure it to your way)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
thanks, theducks, i needed to know/find that very fix.

...but now I realize I can't find how to configure my way if/when my way is always going to be fn, ln (not initialized). Is there a way to do that too?

Last edited by Merischino; 09-01-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: added question
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The normal way, that is pretty much automatic, is to show authors as FN LN, but sort them as LN, FN. When you add books you will have to make sure that they are added like this. There are two author fields, authors and authors_sort. Authors is what is shown and authors_sort is what is used to sort the books. And the standard is to display FN LN, but sort as they do in libraries using LN, FN. There are two different fields for book titles as well, that work in a similar way. The idea is to not use "A", "An" or "The" in the beginning of a title to sort the books by title. There would be too many...

It is possible to change this to whatever other order or display you want. The only thing to avoid is to mix different styles. Pick one and use that for the all books. If you change your mind later it is easy to change all books to another style using the plugin mentioned before. And it is possible to change how calibre automatically generate authors_sort and title_sort from authors and title using a "tweak" that involves editing a configuration file.

All this is very well described in the fine manual. Since calibre is very powerful you can benefit a lot from reading the manual. For instance what I just said is in the frequently asked questions part...

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....es-and-sorting
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to preface this by saying I have read the manual section, and reread after your post, Adoby, and I'm still confused why the default behavior isn't what I get... or how to change it (back to default?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The normal way, that is pretty much automatic, is to show authors as FN LN, but sort them as LN, FN. When you add books you will have to make sure that they are added like this. There are two author fields, authors and authors_sort. Authors is what is shown and authors_sort is what is used to sort the books. And the standard is to display FN LN, but sort as they do in libraries using LN, FN. There are two different fields for book titles as well, that work in a similar way. The idea is to not use "A", "An" or "The" in the beginning of a title to sort the books by title. There would be too many...
my "authors" and my "author_sort" both automatically populate with the LN, FN structure. I have a workflow such that when I add books I always have to manually go in to the "authors" field and manually switch it to FN LN structure. Reading this thread makes me hopeful that there's a way for me to get an automatic FN LN "authors" field and also the desired existing behavior of LN, FN for "author_sort"

Quote:
It is possible to change this to whatever other order or display you want. The only thing to avoid is to mix different styles. Pick one and use that for the all books. If you change your mind later it is easy to change all books to another style using the plugin mentioned before. And it is possible to change how calibre automatically generate authors_sort and title_sort from authors and title using a "tweak" that involves editing a configuration file.

All this is very well described in the fine manual. Since calibre is very powerful you can benefit a lot from reading the manual. For instance what I just said is in the frequently asked questions part...

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....es-and-sorting
Ok I've reread that and it only confuses the hell out of me.
I get the differences between authors and authors_sort, but when the manual talks about setting authors it then crosses into two other field types and I get lost. It talks about how to change away from FN LN but not how to get to (change back to?) FN LN

I would appreciate any help... it would really save me a bucketload of hassle to get this fixed.
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Someone must have adjusted the (found in Preferences: tweaks) Tweak.

Code:
#: Author sort name algorithm
# ID: author_sort_copy_method
# The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort
# Possible values are:
# invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn"
# copy  : copy author to author_sort without modification
# comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
# nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
# When this tweak is changed, the author_sort values stored with each author
# must be recomputed by right-clicking on an author in the left-hand tags pane,
# selecting 'manage authors', and pressing 'Recalculate all author sort values'.
# The author name suffixes are words that are ignored when they occur at the
# end of an author name. The case of the suffix is ignored and trailing
# periods are automatically handled. The same is true for prefixes.
# The author name copy words are a set of words which if they occur in an
# author name cause the automatically generated author sort string to be
# identical to the author name. This means that the sort for a string like Acme
# Inc. will be Acme Inc. instead of Inc., Acme
author_sort_copy_method = 'invert'
author_name_suffixes = ('Jr', 'Sr', 'Inc', 'Ph.D', 'Phd', 'MD', 'M.D', 'I', 'II', 'III', 'IV', 'Junior', 'Senior')
author_name_prefixes = ('Mr', 'Mrs', 'Ms', 'Dr', 'Prof')
author_name_copywords = ('Corporation', 'Company', 'Co.', 'Agency', 'Council', 'Committee', 'Inc.', 'Institute', 'Society', 'Club', 'Team')
If you make changes, follow the instructions included in the tweak above.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
wladimirk
wladimirk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,
I have a problem along the lines of this one. Not the same but not different enough to deserve a different topic.
I've just started using calibre and loaded many books i had but when i was looking at the authors column I found that although what shows is (as an example) "Joe Abercrombie" when I order the books ascendingly some some appear alphabetically on the A for Abercrombie and others on the J for Joe. None of these have commas (I've corrected and normalized everyone).

Thanks beforehand for any help.
wladimirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That probably means the author_sort fields are not set consistently. You can check this by looking at one of the books that sorts wrong and selecting the Edit Metadata option.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
wladimirk
wladimirk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many thanks, will try to
wladimirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
This is kinda related but not exactly. I have been looking through the manual to find a quick way to change the sort from author sort to authors and back and from title to title sort and back.

I may just be glazing over by the time I get to it in the manual or something but...

I only need this when doing large imports but then it would be invaluable lol.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can add an extra custom column that shows authors_sort. Then you only have to tap that column header to sort by it. Same with title_sort.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Merischino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Someone must have adjusted the (found in Preferences: tweaks) Tweak.

Code:
#: Author sort name algorithm
# ID: author_sort_copy_method
# The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort
# Possible values are:
# invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn"
# copy  : copy author to author_sort without modification
# comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
# nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
# When this tweak is changed, the author_sort values stored with each author
# must be recomputed by right-clicking on an author in the left-hand tags pane,
# selecting 'manage authors', and pressing 'Recalculate all author sort values'.
# The author name suffixes are words that are ignored when they occur at the
# end of an author name. The case of the suffix is ignored and trailing
# periods are automatically handled. The same is true for prefixes.
# The author name copy words are a set of words which if they occur in an
# author name cause the automatically generated author sort string to be
# identical to the author name. This means that the sort for a string like Acme
# Inc. will be Acme Inc. instead of Inc., Acme
author_sort_copy_method = 'invert'
author_name_suffixes = ('Jr', 'Sr', 'Inc', 'Ph.D', 'Phd', 'MD', 'M.D', 'I', 'II', 'III', 'IV', 'Junior', 'Senior')
author_name_prefixes = ('Mr', 'Mrs', 'Ms', 'Dr', 'Prof')
author_name_copywords = ('Corporation', 'Company', 'Co.', 'Agency', 'Council', 'Committee', 'Inc.', 'Institute', 'Society', 'Club', 'Team')
If you make changes, follow the instructions included in the tweak above.
Thank you. I think I must've tweaked this tweak before I knew what the default behavior was, thinking that my changing it would make the author field become FN LN. It's good to have it back where it belongs.

Tags
author name, metadata edit