Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #1441
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
The instruction booklet says that you can adjust this, as it's a result of the moisture content of the flour used, but you have to check the dough frequently during the mixing process. My problem is that I buy flour in one kilo bags... Not even enough for two loaves. No way for me to really know how to compensate for the moisture.
I weigh my flour, so moisture content should not be a problem. I shape my loaves on a silicone mat, so no extra flour is added at that step. Odd, since the problem only shows up in bread baked by the machine. Perhaps it's because the bread is in the machine while the element heats up, as opposed to being put into a pre-heated oven. Actually, it's my kids problem, since they're the ones who complain. Strangely they have no complaints when I make ciabatta. Kids are weird!

Quote:
That was how I treated the machine I had 20 years ago. But that machine gave absolutely no crust at all! I used it just to make dough. It DID make a wonderful pizza dough, and I wish I could find that recipe again! It was the best pizza dough I ever had... I seem to remember that it had instant mashed potato powder in the mix...
I loves me some potato bread! And sourdough! I once had three different sourdough seed sours (including one with grapes in it) going at the same time. It's probably just as well I treat it as a dough machine. I find the loaf shaping therapeutic, and I need a lot of therapy .
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 AM   #1442
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
OK, I'm sold...
I made a Brioche bread in the machine today that was better than any brioche rolls I've ever made, even in a good oven. Easily one of the tastiest breads I've ever had!

Brioche - Bread Machine Basic cycle Medium crust
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup water
6 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
Add all ingredients except the butter to your bread machine in the order suggested by manufacturer and process on the basic bread cycle.
2 Cut the butter into tablespoon size pieces.
3 About 10 minutes before the end of your first kneading cycle, begin adding the butter, 1 tablespoon each minute.
4 Let the machine continue its process.
6 After bread is baked and at the end of the entire cycle, let the brioche cool in the OPENED machine about 20 minutes.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #1443
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great French Bread!

French Bread Machine-made
2lb? loaf

340ml water
1 1/2 tsp salt
500gm flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Set machine in the French bread mode.

Stitchawl
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #1444
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Jambalaya!

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound sausage, such as kielbasa or andouille, sliced
1 pound smoked ham or chicken, cubed
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium onions, diced
1 cup diced celery
1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
1 cup seeded and diced tomato
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced OR 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons diced fresh oregano
1 teaspoon diced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
3 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 to 8 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 pound medium shrimp, deveined (20 to 24 count)

Son of gun we'll have big fun on the bayou!

Stitchawl
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1445
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Made pasta for dinner this evening, with a lovely white clam sauce. Very tasty! Instead of canned clams, I used fresh. Much nicer flavor!

Clam Sauce - White

Ingredients

1/2 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams, with juice
1 pound spaghetti
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese

Directions

In a small saucepan, brown garlic in olive oil over medium heat. Stir in butter or margarine and seasonings until butter or margarine is melted. Add clams with some of their liquid; heat through.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #1446
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I've got this idea for a spread/dip that has been creeping around my mind for the past two days... All it needs are
Sun dried tomatoes in oil
Kalamata olives
Brie cheese

Chop the tomatoes, chop the olives, chop the bri (without the rind)
Mix together and put in the oven for about 20-30 minutes, until the brie is bubbling, stirring once after about 15 minutes.
Spread on slices of baguette...

I think this could be pretty tasty. I'm going to look for a good brie tomorrow.

Stitchawl
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1447
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
^^^Sounds yummy. I'm always looking for ways to incorporate sun dried tomatoes into recipes.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #1448
AlysonofBathe
AlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five words

Device: kobo
Hey everyone!

I stumbled across this a few days ago, thought the geeky types here might appreciate it. :P

Super Mario 1 - Up cupcakes. Recipe here.

Cheers,
Alyson
AlysonofBathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1449
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonofBathe View Post
Hey everyone!
I stumbled across this a few days ago, thought the geeky types here might appreciate it. :P

Super Mario 1 - Up cupcakes. Recipe here.
Cheers,
Alyson
Look delicious. If we break them in half before we eat them, will all the calories fall out?

Stitchawl
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #1450
AlysonofBathe
AlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five wordsAlysonofBathe can name that ebook in five words

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Look delicious. If we break them in half before we eat them, will all the calories fall out?

Stitchawl
They have to be healthy, they're 1-ups!
AlysonofBathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #1451
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Ok, all you geniuses (genuii?) *grin*.

I can't tolerate alcohol. Not in any way, shape, or form, and that includes cooking with it. So I keep finding these lovely sounding recipes for Bolognese sauce, but every single one of them incorporates wine. What would be a decent (notice I did not say "good") substitute in this? Beef broth, maybe?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #1452
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Ok, all you geniuses (genuii?) *grin*.

I can't tolerate alcohol. Not in any way, shape, or form, and that includes cooking with it. So I keep finding these lovely sounding recipes for Bolognese sauce, but every single one of them incorporates wine. What would be a decent (notice I did not say "good") substitute in this? Beef broth, maybe?
Nice to see you again! Where you been hidin'?

Beef broth is NOT a good substitute... Wine usually provides a bit of acidity to the dish so you might be better off with just a smaller amount of vinegar. And I really mean a smaller amount. If the dish calls for a 1/2 cup of wine, use a tablespoon of vinegar. This works VERY well if you use wine vinegar. There is absolutely no alcohol in it, but the taste and acidity are just right. For Chinese dishes where just one or two tablespoons of rice wine are called for, just leave it out and don't worry about it.

There are several non-alcoholic wines available that probably aren't that great for drinking by the glass, but would work very well in a recipe.

Stitchawl
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #1453
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Been buried in schoolwork, and then the weather turned nice, so I've been outside enjoying it. But this weekend is supposed to be rainy, and with a relatively light load of school assignments, so I thought I'd cook a few of the more labor intensive recipes I've been wanting to try and haven't had time for. Obviously, Bolognese is one of them.

Problem with the vinegar solution, though, that I see is that these recipes are calling for cups and cups of wine - if I use tablespoons of vinegar instead, I'm throwing off the liquid ratio in the recipe, no?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #1454
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Sorry for the double reply: I did, FINALLY, find a recipe that doesn't include wine but does include most of the other ingredients I was interested in. Anyone care to look it over and make suggestions for additions/modifications before I buy the ingredients?

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/bolognese_meat_sauce/
Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #1455
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Problem with the vinegar solution, though, that I see is that these recipes are calling for cups and cups of wine - if I use tablespoons of vinegar instead, I'm throwing off the liquid ratio in the recipe, no?
Sure. But in that case, you aren't so much 'substituting' as filling in the missing liquid. In that case, just add that beef stock you mentioned.

Stitchawl