Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Adding Covers - Kobo Touch

I recently got a KoboTouch after deciding my primary ereader (Aldiko) was just to small and hard to read on my phone. I migrated over approximately 250 books to my KTouch from Aldiko, where I discovered that the covers I had painstakingly added on Aldiko did not transfer over with the books.

I have tried my best to research this issue, and I have downloaded Calibre and have just spent a few hours adding covers via the meta data editing option. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to add these files back with the covers displaying. Could someone walk me thorough this?

I have reconverted to epubs, I have saved, etc. I am still getting a folder with the JPG separate and when I load this on my Kobo I get an image file and an epub that don't relate to each other (though I can see both).

I'm getting frustrated and the hours I've spent on this are driving me crazy. I don't want to lose the work I put in finding all these images! Any help at all is appreciated. I've been googling with no good results, so pardon me if this is easily found somewhere else, I haven't found it.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I start with the epub on my PC. Use the Calibre metadata editor to add the cover. Copy the book via Calibre to your device. The new cover should be there. I've never had a problem adding or editing covers. It just works.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Even if you download the Cover with calibre, if it is not there in the actual ePub, it will not be displayed until you actually convert them. The jpg in the folder is just there for calibre to display, you don't need it at all. The Kobo will use the cover that is in the book. You don't need to copy the jpg file in it. When the KT processes the file, it will generate a cover from the one that is in the epub.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Thanks for your help so far, i have figured out how to resave the epubs with covers but now have a bigger issue!

I have tried to import the epubs with covers back to my KT numerous times via 'send to device' and also just dragging and dropping and it gets stuck on 'processing content' every single time i try I only have 200 books, i do not know why it is taking hours to process the content.

I have factory reset 2x now and it still doesn't help.

Could editing on calibre have caused corruption of my kobo? all i did was add some covers.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
In case the covers don't show up you might have to convert the books into Epub (even if they are already in E-pub) for the covers to take effect.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It shouldn't take hours. For me 300 books takes 20-30 min. Laos if you want to update your cover, you might want to try the app in my sig. I have uploaded today a way to change the covers without reconverting, and having them fit the kobo screen without borders.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
imsoawesome
Enthusiast

finally loaded! i think it was hanging for 1.5 hours there but processing content finally went away and it works again.

note to anyone having this problem in the future:took about 1.5 hours to process 235 books, do not panic and reset the device. i came close because i read a guy who said 2000 takes 40 mins but happy i waited.

it seems my problems were twofold,
1) had to convert back to epub to get covers to stay like the guy aboove said, the covers had to be reconverted and then saved even if they were epub already had

2) copy epub files out of the calibre library or where you saved them and drag and drop to kobo, sending to my kobo didn't work and i think that was the main issue

thanks for the help, even if you didn't comment reading back in old threads was a big help!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Nigol
Groupie

I think that is why there is a progress indicator in the next firmware, at least you will know if it's stuck or not.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The progress indicator being tested now is only for the SD card.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
The progress indicator being tested now is only for the SD card.
I have loaded a couple of books this week and it was there using only the internal memory (I don't even have an sd card) and it was there.