Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #1
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Looking for Recommendations for Independent Books

I'm always looking for book recommendations, but most of what I read is pretty mainstream--usually published by the big 6 publishers and gleaned from either the New York Times or The Guardian. Like many on here, I'm not thrilled with the pricing nor the use of DRM by the major publishers. Below is a list of some of my favorite authors and books. Based on this list, what independent books would you recommend.

John le Carré
Graham Greene
Alan Furst
Martin Cruz Smith
Philip Roth
Gore Vidal
Gabriel García Márquez
Peter Carey
Patricia Highsmith
Paul Auster
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg
Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow
The Angels of Russia by Patricia le Roy
Prague by Arthur Phillips
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
Waiting by Ha Jin
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Thanks. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Last edited by SlowRain; 08-08-2010 at 10:10 AM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
I'm happy to see your interest in independent authors, SlowRain, and I'll do my best to provide you with a recommendation that'll suit your tastes. In general, I'd say most of us don't go for the high literary of Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Gore Vidal. But I just read one that might fit in with Presumed Innocent and Patricia Highsmith. It's called "Not What She Seems," which can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HS5LRO

I hope you're able to find something you enjoy!

--Jason
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Thank you very much, foreverjuly. I'll check it out.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Click "forums" at the top of the page and dive into the thousands of new indie authors offering their work to MR. If a discount coupon is expired, you can usually PM the author for a code. We have wonderful connection with indie authors here. Happy Reading!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
SlowRain
Addict

Thanks for the tip, DixieGal. However, doing it that way is a little to generic for me. Right now I'm just looking for specific recommendations from people who have read and enjoyed the same novels I have. Once my feet are a bit wet with indie publishing, I'll definitely give that route a try.
Advert