Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
charex
charex began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
I can't upgrade firmware

Hi to everybody, first post here for me.

I have a first generation Opus (the white one) with firmware 1.9 installed. I've downloaded and tried to install v2.1 without success.

I've formatted a microSD in FAT32 format, put the firmware on it, I turn on my Opus, keeping pushing the central button while it starts up but... my Opus boots normally, like it doesn't see the upgrade.

Am I doing something wrong? I feel a bit stupid not getting my upgrade installed...

Thank you.
charex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Firmware is at the root of the sd ?
And not sure, but i think you shoudn't hit the central button when you hit power on. hit power on, then, press central button.
don't hesitate to put the opus on a surface.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I had issues with getting the firmware to update in both my Opus (old and new). I had to try several times to get the firmware update to take.

In my case, I had to put the firmware upgrade on the internal memory AND put an SD card into the Opus to get the firmware to update.

But both did update and both work great after the update.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
charex

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try them tonight (I haven't my Opus with me now). Ah, yes, the update is in the root of the microSD.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
On the Gen3 you have to press the button a very long time so it is strange that they have not updated the installation instructions which still say a couple of seconds.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Push the button as soon as the initial screen appears and keep in pressed in until the firmware update starts. This is indeed a lot longer than a couple of seconds!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
charex

No, no chances... I've tried several times, every time my Opus boots normally ignoring the update.

My configuration: white first gen Opus, 1GB Kingston micro SD.
I've tried to put the update in the main memory, I've tried to keep pushing the central button (it is the one in the middle of the four arrows, right?) for a lot of time, starting pushing it at different moments (before the Cybook Opus logo appears, during its appearance, after...), putting my Opus on a table...

I have no more ideas and I'm beginning to feel a little stupid :P
I think I will contact Bookeen support looking for a solution.

Thank you anyway.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
rsa
rsa began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
I had the same problem. I changed micro SD cards and then it took. Bookeen states there may be a problem if you use a card larger than 4gb. The one I had a problem with was 4gb. I switched to a 2gb and all was fine. I know your's is 1gb but try a different one. The Opus just isn't seeing it.

Last edited by rsa; 07-15-2010 at 11:45 PM.
rsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
rsa Welcome to mobileread

charex Have you solved your problem ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
charex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
charex Have you solved your problem ?
No, I'm still stuck with the old firmware, but I haven't tried anymore. I think I'll buy another microSD and try again.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Do you try this:

1 -> Put the update_kernel on the root of the sd card
2 -> Switch on your Opus
3 -> Insert the SD card, the SD logo should appear, if not retry to insert
4 -> Shutdown your Opus
5 -> Restart your opus with the center button press until the update process start.

This procedure generaly have good results.

If the SD card show on the library, then restart the device, you have more than 90% of chance that the update will start correctly
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
accesszh
accesszh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Do you try this:

This procedure generaly have good results.

If the SD card show on the library, then restart the device, you have more than 90% of chance that the update will start correctly
I tried your suggestion, it does not work for my device. Maybe I am in the 10%.
accesszh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
melen
melen began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Had the same problem

I had that exact problem. I tried to reformat my card in FAT32 again, and the second or third time the update took. But be sure you format in FAT32 and not another format, like NTFS.

Good luck!
melen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
redtalisker
redtalisker began at the beginning.

Device: opus
Just bought myself an Opus this week and had the same problem with updating the firmware. I found if the SD card was inserted prior to boot up the Opus just didn't see it. It was fine once it was on but that was no use to me trying to update it. Eventually I was able to update it by switching the opus on, pressing the button then inserting the card, all in that order. I'd like to say I found this all by myself but found a comment elsewhere on the internet solving the problem.
redtalisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Guohong
Guohong began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen Opus
Angry

got exactly the same problem. tried 4gb and 128 mb microSD card, tried all the suggestions, even tried to change the update filename to "CybUpdate.bin" suggested by their support team, neither of them worked. Need support to far east languages, so have to update. really frustrated!
Guohong is offline   Reply With Quote