Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be giving someone an ereader for Christmas?
Yes 31 38.75%
No 22 27.50%
Hell No -- they're still to expensive 27 33.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Will you be giving someone an ereader for Christmas?

My parents and I are going in together to get my sister one, and I got my mom one.

Last edited by Daithi; 11-20-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have already purchased all the eBook readers for all the readers in my family
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My parents are getting a Kindle 2. I'd get them one each but I'm not entirely sure they'll use it (although my father did read Animal Farm in one sitting on my Sony 505 so I think I'm on a winner).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
It would be nice if there were a choice for "I would if I could", as I would love to get them for certain members of my family (my sister especially), but as we have no income right now, it's not financially possible. Not that I think they're too expensive, as the last choice suggests. If this was last year and I had been enjoying my Sony 700 as long as I have now, the answer would've been definitely "yes". I didn't receive my own until mid-January and I wouldn't give something like this as a gift if I wasn't thoroughly impressed with my own. I definitely will be recommending them as a great gift, with lots of info to back it up with. My niece received a Kindle 2 for her birthday from her mom & dad, based on my recommendation.

It would be really awesome to be able to say "eBook readers on the house"!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've been looking around to get one for my girlfriend. She went from "I love the feel of a book, and will never use an ebook" to "Oooh, this is nice, I have to have one" after playing with mine.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My wife has recently retired, and has been spending a lot of time reading pbooks. I'm thinking a Nook might be perfect for her. No hassle downloads from B&N, and she saves a trip to the B&N B&M.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I'm thinking about it. My (14-yr-old) daughter would love one, and I'm trying to decide if (1) we can afford it and (2) it won't get broken if she takes it to school.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have gotten me a netbook so that I can better read pdfs and I will be giving my ereader to my sister in law how has asked me to let here use it.
I have found thand almost 100% of my reading is pdf tech docs and I have not found a ereader device that does a good job of resizing and reflow.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yep! a K2 for a relative in Mexico!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
If I could afford it, I'd be getting one for both kids. My daughter's still in the stage where she's moving around a lot, so a large physical book collection isn't practical for her, and my son reads all the time too. However, budget says, "not this year". It's not that I think they're too expensive, as Rebarnmom says, it's that I just don't have it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
No, my girlfriend wants one. But as a fellow academic she needs something with a bigger screen that can do A4 sized PDFs well--preferably with good stylus mark up.

I want the same thing for work, but have a Kindle for leisure reading. She doesn't want a leisure reader--especially now that Kindle for PC is out and she just uses my account on that.

But there's not a good devices for PDF markups yet at a reasonable price, so we'll wait a year or two on that. I'm more interested in some future tablet device. She's less wed to needing to mark up stuff, so something like the Kindle DX with better PDF support (bigger screen maybe) etc. would probably work for her once prices come down.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I'm getting my Dad an EBW1150 from Ebookwise. The price is right and having only 3 buttons should work for him. I'll already have it loaded with books on Christmas morning and I'm really hoping he likes it.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Giving my Mom my Cybook Gen3.

Now that I've got my Kindle 2 back from repair (and never give up hope of getting a used-broken Kindle on the cheap - I snagged mine for $38 - and that *included* the warranteed repair of the screen!), I'm letting Mom have my Cybook Gen3 - unless, that is, she decides to go with an upgrade to the Sony PRS-600. In that case, I'll be selling my Gen3 to raise money to buy *myself* a BeBook 6" so I can run OI.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Nope. The only one person I know that would be interested already owns a reader
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I said yes but the real answer is maybe. I want to give my wife a nook but I won't buy one until I see it live (if it doesn't pan out, I may get a Sony for her). So whether she actually gets one, since I didn't preorder, will depend on what it is like live and whether the store has one to sell.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote