Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #76
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
So for you, using the CD/DVD of Windows (or any licenced application, that you didn't get a licence) that you borrow from your friend is legal?
Completely off topic and splitting quite a few hairs, but I just had to say it:
The CD/DVD doesn't matter at all and, as far as I know, you're allowed to make as many copies as you wish. However, your licence (key) is the important thing, so as long as you use your own licence, you can just go ahead and use your friends' disc to install.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #77
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Some sofware didn't need a licence key or anything like this. but that was not the point. What i want to say is that if you don't own the right to use the software, you are doing illegal stuffs
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #78
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Yes, but if I buy a PC with Windows I have the right to install Linux on it.
Linux is, unlike bookeen firmware, free (in both sence of the terem). While firmware from bookeen or pocketbook are proprietary. Devlopers from pocketbook need to be paid right ? (Oh, yeah, I forgot, firrmware are devloped just by snapping yourr fingers, no need to pay peaple for that...)

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #79
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Linux is, unlike bookeen firmware, free (in both sence of the terem). While firmware from bookeen or pocketbook are proprietary.
Bookeen's firmware (I don't know about Pocketbook's) is Linux. The application they use that displays the ebook is proprietary. Bookeen (due to the requirements of the GPL) makes the source for their firmware minus this application available. If someone really wanted they could take the Linux source and make their own compatible firmware. Another application could be used in place of Bookeen's or Adobe's (The new ePub firmware will be using this) reader application. The Jetbook supports FBReader for instance.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #80
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Bookeen's firmware (I don't know about Pocketbook's) is Linux. The application they use that displays the ebook is proprietary. Bookeen (due to the requirements of the GPL) makes the source for their firmware minus this application available. If someone really wanted they could take the Linux source and make their own compatible firmware. Another application could be used in place of Bookeen's or Adobe's (The new ePub firmware will be using this) reader application. The Jetbook supports FBReader for instance.
Guess the tricky part would be the install / update proses, switching beween the two firwares... But getting rid of pages number might be worth the pain.
I think part of the code, ie menus and all, is bookeen proprietary. It would be basicly doing firmware from scratch.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #81
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Guess the tricky part would be the install / update proses, switching beween the two firwares... But getting rid of pages number might be woth the pain.
Getting the Bookeen firmware on the device would be the hardest part.

Quote:
I think part of the code, ie menus and all, is bookeen proprietary. It would be basicly doing firmware from scratch.
Those parts a proprietary but that's why you would use something like FBReader which already has support for menus, loading, and reading a number of different eBook formats. Like I said it is even being used by eInk devices.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #82
sartakov
sartakov began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 5550+opie
i started pocket book firmware on explay txt book and orsio b731 books. its a netronix clones. i dont know, booken gen 3 is a eb100 or eb600 clone - i saw a 200mhz cpu and a little bit memory. in explay and b731 orsio 64m RAM and 400 24xx CPU.
sartakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #83
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartakov View Post
i started pocket book firmware on explay txt book and orsio b731 books. its a netronix clones. i dont know, booken gen 3 is a eb100 or eb600 clone - i saw a 200mhz cpu and a little bit memory. in explay and b731 orsio 64m RAM and 400 24xx CPU.
Hi Sartakov!
That s great! So you have put the pocketbook firmware on Explay and on Orsio too, with success? I think the Orsio txt book and the Cybook Gen3 - first generation (200MHz,64MB, 16MB ram) are Netronix EB100.

Maybe you know how to put the firm on the Cybook?
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #84
sartakov
sartakov began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 5550+opie
with some problem- on orsio731/explay txt3 book doesnt work USB. i dont know why. orsio731 and explay txt3 is a eb600 clones - 400mhz 64ram 512m. but booken kernel sources looks like from eb600.
sartakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #85
sagars24
sagars24 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: borges impres-
How did u install the FW?
sagars24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #86
EowynCarter
Wizard

For the hundredth times, it is not easily possible to install a firmware other than bookeen's on the cybooks.