Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
x3oo
Enthusiast
x3oo began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
firmware from other netronix clones

hi does anyone tried other firmwares?
x3oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oo View Post
hi does anyone tried other firmwares?
Other than OpenInkpot, there is no other firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, there was also (now dead) eRead STK-101 and there are two active clones: Orsio from Russia and PocketBook from Ukraine. The last one is reportedly very good.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Actually, there was also (now dead) eRead STK-101 and there are two active clones: Orsio from Russia and PocketBook from Ukraine. The last one is reportedly very good.
Is the PocketBook really a Cybook clone ? I ask because I have seen and read about the different (apparently) incarnations of the Booken, which was reputed to be a Netronix, but which one, exactly ? There seems to be subtle differences, would they imapct the firmware ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
At least it does look the same - the menu looks nice aswell!

Too bad I am not able to read the text
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
PocketBook 301

I can't read Ukrainian, but I watched the video on their site and skimmed through some google-translated text. And it made me weep to see all those beautiful functions on a netronix device. They explicitly said it's a Netronix, maybe not eb-100 though. It makes you wonder what could have been, if it wasn't for *someone's* inaptitude.
From what I've seen, it has better use of screen real estate (no overblown margins, header, footer), on-screen keyboard, text lookup, you can probably write your own notes, better bookshelf design, really nice graphical main menu, ability to switch between landscape and portrait with reflow, text highlighting.
These are the specs:
--------------------------
Technical specifications
--------------------------
Display: 6" E Ink ® Vizplex 600 × 800, 166 dpi, B & W
Processor: Samsung ® S3C2410 ARM920T 200MHz Processor: Samsung ® S3C2410 ARM920T 200MHz
Operating system: Linux Operating System: Linux
Battery: Li-Polymer (1000 mAh) Battery: Li-Polymer (1000 mAh)
Memory: Systemnaya 8 Mb, OPERATIONA 32 Mb, Permanent 512 Mb Memory: Systemnaya 8 Mb, OPERATIONA 32 Mb, 512 Mb Permanent
Communication: mini USB (v 2.0) Communication: mini USB (v 2.0)
Slot memory: SD card (in a package with a version of "Standard" 1Gb SD Card) Slot memory: SD card (in a package with a version of "Standard" 1Gb SD Card)
Audio output: 2.5mm stereo Audio output: 2.5mm stereo
Power supply: INPUT: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz, 0,2 A; OUTPUT: 5V 1A Power supply: INPUT: 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz, 0,2 A; OUTPUT: 5V 1A
Форматы Book: FB2, TXT, PDF, DJVU, RTF, HTML, PRC, CHM
Форматы Book: FB2, TXT, PDF, DJVU, RTF, HTML, PRC, CHM
Форматы image: JPEG Форматы image: JPEG
Форматы audio: MP3, WAV Форматы audio: MP3, WAV
Size: 118 x 188 x 8,5 mm Size: 118 x 188 x 8,5 mm
Weight: 178 g (without cover), 292 g (s zhestkoy oblozhkoy) Weight: 178 g (without cover), 292 g (s zhestkoy oblozhkoy)
Color: Black, Серый Color: Black, Серый
It's not so much different from the cybook if at all. I'm not sure if the amount of RAM is the same, the processor is definitely the same.
I don't see even the new bookeen's firmware update getting anywhere close to this one, no offence, I'm all up for a pleasant surprise.

Does anyone know if it supports utf encoding or some other than ukrainian encoding?
Do you think it would be possible to get pocketbook FW on gen3 cybook? I'm even prepared to shell out some solid cash for it. Oh, I want this FW sooo badly.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you see that "Text-input"-idea?
It allows you to enter text with a minimal amount of keypresses - its genious!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Pulp
Palm Addict

The firmware can be found here
We only need somebody to translate and find a way to install it
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I really don't recommend to install non official Firmware on your CyBook, if it as even a single hardware difference with it, you may brick it and need to return it to Bookeen for reparation...

Even if they are made by netronics, it could have minor hardware differences
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Allegedly, there are two versions 301 and 301 plus, and 301 should have the same hardware as cybook. There are also two versions of FW, one for 301 and one for 301 plus. So if anyone wants to try it, the 301 FW should be the right one. Though I can't warrant that, if you reflash your cybook, you're doing so at your own risk.
I would go for it myself but I don't know how to get the original bookeen FW back on the device if I'm not satisfied with the pocketbook's FW.
As for the instructions, they can be found in the archive along with the image file and easily translated by google translate (ukrainian -> english).
I've heard that the cybook's updates are not complete firmware, so I can't reflash the device back with them if anything goes wrong, is that correct?
The FW can also be found on the-ebook.org forums.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Come on, guys, I want the next post in this thread to be: "I tried it and it worked!"
--Edit
I gave it some thought and it's starting to dawn on me, that this probably can't be done.
I think it's the same as with bookeen's updates, it's not the complete image and on top of that there seems to be some testing done during the installation whether it's the right kind of device.
Well, that just makes me sad, because for a while I really believed that this magnificent firmware could be used on cybooks too.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-18-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I've heard that the cybook's updates are not complete firmware, so I can't reflash the device back with them if anything goes wrong, is that correct?
Typically yes. However, some complete versions (indicated with fmt in the file name) are available that do a reformat/flash. Here is 796.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-18-2009 at 02:23 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I can't read Ukrainian, but I watched the video on their site and skimmed through some google-translated text. And it made me weep to see all those beautiful functions on a netronix device. They explicitly said it's a Netronix, maybe not eb-100 though. It makes you wonder what could have been, if it wasn't for *someone's* inaptitude.
Go get a pocket book then !

And a few thing.
Have you yourself any experience in programing ? How many devloppers there is at bokeen and what they are working on ? Or how many devloppers there are for the poket book ? Or how long both project have been running ?
Don't call someone incompetant unless you know what you're talking about, and have proof of what you're saying.

The idea for text typing is ingenious. But i'm not sure you can really type efiiciency with that.
Interface looks nice, though it's hard to see anything with such small images.

You know, i think we should to get a list of stuff we would like to see in the cybook, and once done, send it to bokeen. (Realistc stuff that don't requiers hardware change )
I can even translate it to french if needed

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-18-2009 at 03:20 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Go get a pocket book then !

And a few thing.
Have you yourself any experience in programing ? How many devloppers there is at bokeen and what they are working on ? Or how many devloppers there are for the poket book ? Or how long both project have been running ?
Don't call someone incompetant unless you know what you're talking about, and have proof of what you're saying.
The idea for text typing is ingenious. But i'm not sure you can really type efiiciency with that.
Seems like I've hit a sore spot there, no need to be so touchy. I didn't mean to offend anyone, so I apologize if that happened.
Look, from my perspective the number of bookeen's developers or how long they have been working on their project is irrelevant (it would be of a matter if they were an open source project). I'm a customer. I'm interested in the final product and how it compares to other products. That's what will have an influence on my future decisions about which product to buy.
I'm not saying that bookeen developers are doing a bad job, they just leave themselves a lot of room for improvement.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
You know, i think we should to get a list of stuff we would like to see in the cybook, and once done, send it to bokeen. (Realistc stuff that don't requiers hardware change )
I can even translate it to french if needed
Bookeen is probably bombarded with feature requests and bug reports. I sent them a couple of ideas myself. The problem seems to be elsewhere. But all my ranting and complaining and whining has only ONE purpose and that is to help Bookeen improve their product, so that they have more customers and bigger revenue and the best parties, the fastests cars and the prettiest girls . Because in the end it means better reading experience for me on my cybook.