Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #256
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by octarineblues View Post
I just noticed something kind of weird in the new renderer with the indents at the beginning of each paragraph. They're present with center-aligned text, too...
Could you provide an example? I don't know any stories with centre-aligned text to test with.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #257
octarineblues
octarineblues began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by erayd View Post
Could you provide an example? I don't know any stories with centre-aligned text to test with.
Sure. Just snagging a couple from what I was going through before, Hunter has the title center aligned in every chapter, if memory serves, and Letters chapter 16 has a news article a few pages down with the headline center aligned. Hope this helps.
octarineblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #258
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Thanks for finding that - great to know. Do you have an example of a story that exhibits this issue that I can use to test?
The story I downloaded was this one: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6540988/..._You_Dont_Know

It's got a lot of uses of the word "naive" in which the "i" has those two dots over it that are not rendered in the ebook, as well as the accent on the end of the word "naivete." And plenty of italicized words that run into the words following.

Thanks again for this service. I'm often wishing I had one like it for livejournal and other sites - it's so elegant and easy-to-use.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #259
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octarineblues View Post
Sure. Just snagging a couple from what I was going through before, Hunter has the title center aligned in every chapter, if memory serves, and Letters chapter 16 has a news article a few pages down with the headline center aligned. Hope this helps.
Thank you - it looks like the centering is being nuked by tidy when cleaning the scraped HTML. I'll need to change the way tidy is run slightly - watch this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
It's got a lot of uses of the word "naive" in which the "i" has those two dots over it that are not rendered in the ebook, as well as the accent on the end of the word "naivete." And plenty of italicized words that run into the words following.
Excellent - looks like both issues are already fixed in the new version, although the fix can't be easily ported to the current version of the site without screwing up a bunch of other stuff. If you can live with it for another day or so, I'm porting over the entire new backend to work with the current frontend, rather than just the epub renderer - this problem will vanish once that's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
Thanks again for this service. I'm often wishing I had one like it for livejournal and other sites - it's so elegant and easy-to-use.
Which sites specifically did you have in mind? I can't promise to implement everything, but the new version is a great deal easier to add extra sources. I want to get everything up and running first, but once that's done I'll consider adding more.

Note that the first one I'll be adding is http://twilighted.net/ - I personally can't stand it, but adding support for this is the request I get the most frequently.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #260
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Livejournal is the one I use the most, but I don't know if it's possible to do it for multi-chapter works on that site. It's got a very different feel to it than ff.net or twilighted.net, as it's journal pages with graphics rather than text-based.

Here's a page of a longer work on livejournal, if you want to check it out: http://community.livejournal.com/plotamari/3575.html

But honestly that's just a feeling I have about the site - I'm no programmer, just an ignorant user.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #261
erayd
Zealot

Hmmm, LiveJournal looks more like a blogging site - each chapter looks like a single, independent post.

Is there anything that links the chapters together, or are they stuck as-is?

I can certainly write a plugin to grab LiveJournal content, but unless there's some way of grouping posts together then I'm afraid it'll probably only be able to grab one at a time.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #262
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Hmmm, LiveJournal looks more like a blogging site - each chapter looks like a single, independent post.

Is there anything that links the chapters together, or are they stuck as-is?
Sometimes they're connected under a single tag, as with mithen's Music of the Spheres story. They'd need to collect from oldest to newest, and would have the potential of having non-story elements with the same tag (if the author posts an editorial aside with the tag, it'd be included).

Other than that, most LJ stories have links to the next chapter within each chapter; the only way a program could collect them is to have a spot for multiple URLs, because there's no consistent formatting involved.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #263
erayd
Zealot

OK - the full updated backend is now live on the site. Please let me know if you have any issues with it, or have suggestions for improvement.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #264
Shmrck14
Shmrck14 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
New and cluless

I just received an iPad as a gift and have installed iBooks and kindle. I want to download from fan fiction.net but have no idea where to start. Any help would be great!
Shmrck14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #265
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmrck14 View Post
I just received an iPad as a gift and have installed iBooks and kindle. I want to download from fan fiction.net but have no idea where to start. Any help would be great!
Where are you getting stuck?

The process to download books is generally pretty simple:
  1. Type the story ID into FLAG
  2. Choose the desired format type (if you're using Kindle software, this will be Mobi)
  3. Click 'Get'
FLAG will fetch the story for you and compile it into an ebook file, then send that file to your browser.

Alternatively, you can have FLAG email the file to you - if you want this, just enter your email address before clicking 'Get'.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #266
Shmrck14

Quote:
Where are you getting stuck?

The process to download books is generally pretty simple:
  1. Type the story ID into FLAG
  2. Choose the desired format type (if you're using Kindle software, this will be Mobi)
  3. Click 'Get'
FLAG will fetch the story for you and compile it into an ebook file, then send that file to your browser.

Alternatively, you can have FLAG email the file to you - if you want this, just enter your email address before clicking 'Get'.
I'm so useless I'm stuck at the beginning. I don't know where to type the story ID into FLAG.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #267
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
I'm so useless I'm stuck at the beginning. I don't know where to type the story ID into FLAG.
Type it into the box that is labelled 'Story ID', on this website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr_45.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	69852  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #268
Shmrck14

Quote:
Type it into the box that is labelled 'Story ID', on this website.
Got it, thank! Awesome application.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #269
erayd
Zealot

Quote:
Got it, thank! Awesome application.
No worries - glad you've got it sorted .
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #270
erayd
Zealot

FictionPress is now supported.

Tags
converter, fanfiction, fanfiction.net, grabber, lrf