Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #91
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
That does look tasty... I wonder how many calories a 1/6 slice would be, with the jam AND the whipped cream? Perhaps if I didn't eat for the next few days it would work out...

Stitchawl
Well.... without the jam and cream I get the following:

Code:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 144 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 598 Calories from Fat 306
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34.0g 52%
Saturated Fat 20.4g 102%
Cholesterol 190mg 63%
Sodium 261mg 11%
Total Carbohydrates 67.7g 23%
Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4%
Sugars 38.1g
Protein 7.9g
Vitamin A 22%	•	Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 10%	•	Iron 14%
Nutrition Grade C-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
Courtesy of Calorie Count
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #92
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Well.... without the jam and cream I get the following:

[code]
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 144 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 598 Calories
Thanks for that... Let's see, 144gm for about 600 calories.
But 144gm is about 1/12 (or less) of a 9" pie plate... (the recipe says that it makes 12 slices/servings) so just estimating, because I can't do the actual math, I figure a slice the size I would normally eat would be... oh... I don't know.... about 2400 calories?
That's almost two days food!
But boy, I'll bet it sure tastes goooodddd.....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #93
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I also do not see how horse meat is any worse than beef or pork.

But then, on the other hand, I am a vegan and have not eaten any meat for 25 years.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #94
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

But then, on the other hand, I am a vegan and have not eaten any meat for 25 years.

Best regards,
Andy

Are you Vegan because you like animals and hate plants? 'Kill a carrot for peace' type?

Kidding aside, how do you make up for the amino acids not normally found in veggies? Brewer's Yeast?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #95
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
BFd.... Did Vegan for a year and Vegie for 8 years..... you are still eating Eucratic cells... cabbage, horse, humans, dog, fish, carrots, elephants, buffalo, pandas, tigers. lions...etc... low and behold ....... most of us descend from them barring the spare parasite or bacteria that invade these threads. And in A billion years or so when the moon has moved too far from the Earth...most of us Eucratic cells will be dead whether we eat fish, cabbage or Dog.... 99 percent of life terminates whether you are a vegan or not..... Maybe the vegetarian Sharks should ask you for culinary advice????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

Best regards,
Andy
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #96
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
BFd.... Did Vegan for a year and Vegie for 8 years..... you are still eating Eucratic cells... cabbage, horse, humans, dog, fish, carrots, elephants, buffalo, pandas, tigers. lions...etc... low and behold ....... most of us descend from them barring the spare parasite or bacteria that invade these threads. And in A billion years or so when the moon has moved too far from the Earth...most of us Eucratic cells will be dead whether we eat fish, cabbage or Dog.... 99 percent of life terminates whether you are a vegan or not..... Maybe the vegetarian Sharks should ask you for culinary advice????
You're evil, but speak truth!

The way I always put it is "Life consumes itself."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #97
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is the pathetic joke of Veggies. I was a veggie for diet never Polictics. I did it for sports. Love meeting hardcore Vegetarians with leather belts and leather boots????? seems they forgot that Cows have SKINS????
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #98
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Seattle had horse meat markets although the last I recall, Montana Horse Meat Market in the Pike Place Market (a huge downtown public market), closed in the early 1980's. Horse meat is very lean and tastes similar to beef.

I've eaten bison, rattlesnake, emu, goat, elk, venison, bear, numerous wild winged creatures, and various beef and swine parts from bull fries to hog maws and chitterlings. I'm only opposed to incorrectly labeled food products.

One of my granddaughters is vegetarian except that she says she will eat wild game if offered. She considers commercial meat production methods to be inhumane. Her quiet adherence to principle has influenced me to see her point.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #99
hidari
MR Drone

Ok that is a good point. Commercial slaughter of animals is not beautiful...but that does not stop McSh*(, Kentucky, or Chickwelovegaypeoplefillet from stopping service....
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #100
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The first news report I saw of this burger incident stated that horse DNA, not specifically horse meat, had been found in these beefburgers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013...ened-where-how

Brian.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's how you check meat origin. Test the DNA. The only way horse DNA gets in beef burgers is if some parts of a horse have got in the beef.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #102
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's how you check meat origin. Test the DNA. The only way horse DNA gets in beef burgers is if some parts of a horse have got in the beef.
"Some parts of a horse" doesn't sound quite so appetising as horse meat to have in your burger.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #103
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You are ... unlikely ... to get prime steak in an "economy burger". The "unpleasant bits" of the animal, ground up, are precisely what in such a thing.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-21-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #104
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I remember when growing up (and perhaps still) canned dog food was said to be horsemeat. And that some people (hard times or whatever) ate it themselves.

Linky: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_dog_foo...ith_horse_meat

http://www.thatmutt.com/2009/01/25/i...t-in-dog-food/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #105
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
But where are these horses coming from? In the US, it's the old and sick who are slaughtered. Also unfortunately many race horses end up at the slaughterhouse.
Fast Food
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote