Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
epj
epj began at the beginning.

Device: none
Large screen ereaders - suggestions 9"screen size or greate

Hi Members,

I'm in the market for a large-screen eink reader. (pearl seems best, as far as I can tell.)

I mainly want to read PDF files with it, and want the (paperwhite) eink large screen.

Does anyone have views of Onyx M92 versus the Icarus Excel, which seem to be almost the same, and apparently the best choices.
Does anyone know anything about service and support in the USA? Is the software different?

Did anyone consider Kindle DX, or other alternatives?

There appear to be no Android large screen eink reader alternatives. Is that what you have found?

Thanks, EPJ
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There are endless threads in this forum on the best choice of device for reading PDFs. You'd be best off reading a few of those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, the Onyx M92 seems to be the best choice now.

The Icarus is the same reader, as you've already found out. The Onyx M92 comes with a black cover, but the difference should be in customer service or firmware. It's best to ask our experts here in the Onyx subforum.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Take a Onyx M92, not a Icarus. Yes, it's the same hardware, but the standard M92 has a firmware which progress very well. It's possible that an Icarus can't use the last firmware available. It's the case for the model "black pearl" sold by a vendor.

Read the specific forum : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

A user has an Icarus on the forum. You could contact him about the firmware update.

Last edited by Randy11; 01-09-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
epj
epj began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot!

EPJ
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Take a Onyx M92, not a Icarus. Yes, it's the same hardware, but the standard M92 has a firmware which progress very well. It's possible that an Icarus can't use the last firmware available.
Is there any reason to suppose that the firmware wouldn't be interchangeable? On earlier Onyx models that were rebranded by other retailerss (eg the Onyx Boox 60, which was also sold by BeBook as the BeBook Neo) you could install whichever firmware appealed to you.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any reason to suppose that the firmware wouldn't be interchangeable? On earlier Onyx models that were rebranded by other retailerss (eg the Onyx Boox 60, which was also sold by BeBook as the BeBook Neo) you could install whichever firmware appealed to you.
Yes, some retailers customize the Onyx M92, like one that change the TTS software and lock the device. It's interesting to check if the device accept the standard firmware.

Last edited by Randy11; 01-31-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Yes, some retailers customize the Onyx M92, like one that change the TTS software and lock the device. It's interesting to check if the device accept the standard firmware.
Is that true of the Icarus, though?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Yeah, the BeBooks were good that way. I used to have a BeBook One (a Hanlin V3) that you could run any V3 OEM firmware on you liked. Once upon a time I even had a hacked-together firmware that did MobiPocket and Adobe DRM at the same time, which no official version was able (read: allowed by Amazon) to do.

I kept going back to OpenInkpot, though.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Is that true of the Icarus, though?
No, you can use the standard firmware : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1004

Quote:
Smile Icarus Excel
I have installed the last firmware for M92 (1.8 (1.8.20121113)) on my Icarus Excel without a problem. Everything is working well. Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, I thought I'd read that this was the case. Thanks for confirming it.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Hi Members,

I'm in the market for a large-screen eink reader. (pearl seems best, as far as I can tell.)

I mainly want to read PDF files with it, and want the (paperwhite) eink large screen.

Does anyone have views of Onyx M92 versus the Icarus Excel, which seem to be almost the same, and apparently the best choices.
Does anyone know anything about service and support in the USA? Is the software different?

Did anyone consider Kindle DX, or other alternatives?

There appear to be no Android large screen eink reader alternatives. Is that what you have found?

Thanks, EPJ
Used Kindle DX under 200 $ is the best buy.

Just install kindlepdfviewer and enjoy reading your pdf, djvu, epub, mobi, cbz and other files.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

But if you need to do a lot of pdf annotations, handwriting etc. and don't want to simultaneously use tablet while reading then Icarus and M92 are better choice.

Last edited by markom; 02-08-2013 at 01:06 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Used Kindle DX under 200 $ is the best buy.

Just install kindlepdfviewer and enjoy reading your pdf, djvu, epub, mobi, cbz and other files.
I have an original/1st gen Kindle DX. Will this kindlepdfviewer be available and do a better job than the built in reader for PDFs?
(I suspect it's lack of CPU power that's the main problem when I try to view scanned/imaged based large-page PDFs.)
I guess I would need to root the device?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
I have an original/1st gen Kindle DX. Will this kindlepdfviewer be available and do a better job than the built in reader for PDFs?
(I suspect it's lack of CPU power that's the main problem when I try to view scanned/imaged based large-page PDFs.)
I guess I would need to root the device?
kindlepdfviewer is a lot better pdf reader than built-in reader, giving you almost everything you need to read scanned and textual pdfs comfortably and quickly.

I also have Kindle DX White.

You can install it even without rooting but i would suggest above mentioned method that uses launchpad and jailbraking.

It's simple and takes a few minutes.

If you happen to fail at some step, not a big deal, just do it all over again untill you succeed.

Last edited by markom; 02-15-2013 at 05:53 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote