Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #181
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Where did you get your figures? When it opened on the 25th, the win8 appstore had 7873 apps. Not 150k.
150 K apps for Windows phone. 8000 Surface/Metro UI apps.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #182
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
150 K apps for Windows phone. 8000 Surface/Metro UI apps.
Thank you. I knew I saw a number like that somewhere.
Good to know the meds are still working.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #183
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Most people aren't picky about screen resolution, as long as it is in a usable range. Most tablets are in ranges similar to their laptops and desktops, so it suffices.

Apps, kinda the same, as long as they can do what they want. Plus how many are useless barely downloaded apps? But too few apps and people are hindered. I have been hearing that about Windows RT. Too few quality apps for what people want to do. It is also why so many root the nooks. My nontechie mother-in-law was asking me to root her nook Tablet, because there were too few apps in the B&N app store.

Things will change in time, but Microsoft isn't making it easy for themselves. No to mention, but how many surface buyers bought because they expected their Windows apps to work? Once they find out it doesn't, and that you're limited to just the appstore, you'll probably see sales drop, especially since the fanboys will most likely have bought by then.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #184
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Most people aren't picky about screen resolution, as long as it is in a usable range. Most tablets are in ranges similar to their laptops and desktops, so it suffices.
Wouldn't mind a resolution of at least 1920x1200 (Nexus 10, Apple iPad). I could then connect remotely (RDC, VNC) to my workstation without having to rescale the workstation's desktop.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #185
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I think the messaging has been particularly botched for Windows 8. The people around me aren't technophobes by any stretch of the imagination, but they and I all have trouble understanding the differences between the tablet, phone, and desktop versions of Win8, which apps will work where and which won't, which devices have legacy x86 support and so on. The language of Microsoft's communications has been "a single, unified experience across platforms" but that's not the reality, and it sets up false expectations.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #186
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only reason I would get Windows 8 is to take advantage of the low upgrade price. Don't see why I should upgrade as long as Win 8 Surface doesn't deliver.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #187
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
The only reason I would get Windows 8 is to take advantage of the low upgrade price. Don't see why I should upgrade as long as Win 8 Surface doesn't deliver.
For the first week that Win8 was available, Microsoft made Win8 upgrade available for $15.(originally for those who purchased a Win7 machine after June 1 2012, but was open to everyone) I got in on that deal. Even though I installed it (and subsequently removed it), I'm sure I'll end up reinstalling it once some of the inconsistencies are ironed out.

FYI, Microsoft is also making Windows Media Center add-on for Win8 available for free until January 2013.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #188
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Where do you find the Media Center add-on?
I have Windows Media Player, but the Center adds more functionality, no?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #189
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Where do you find the Media Center add-on?
I have Windows Media Player, but the Center adds more functionality, no?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Med...ack,18736.html

Win8 media player (apparently divided into individual music and video players) is a pale imitation of previous incarnations. Media Center offers a lot more functionality but a bit overkill as a Media Player replacement. But for free, I can't complain.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #190
shenye
Zealot

Quote:
The company said this was due to "the changing landscape, the cost of decoder licensing, and the importance of a straight forward edition plan."
Strange justification for selling OS add-ons. I kinda get the decoder licensing part, but this isn't something new and competing products (the famous fruit) don't charge extra either AFAIK.

Last edited by shenye; 11-06-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #191
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Edit: D'oh! I found this thread via the search, and didn't realise it was located in the News forum. Mods, please feel free to move my post to the General forum, or if you let me know I can create a new thread there and you can nuke this post.

---

So... I received my Nexus 10 on Friday and have spent the weekend with it glued to my hands.

In terms of build quality, image quality, response time, and general hardware concerns, I find no discernable difference between it and the 3rd gen iPad. The Nexus 10 is a great piece of hardware.

Software? Simply put, Android 4.2 is the best mobile OS I've ever used. For reference: My only previous experience with Android is my Motorola Milestone (Droid in the U.S.), which is running 2.1, and the latest version of iOS I've used is 5.1 on the 3rd gen iPad.

Some of my favourite things:

- It took me a few e-mails to get the hang of it, but I absolutely adore typing via keyboard swiping. So fast, so cool.

- Widgets have already changed how I read my e-mail, I've put an e-mail widget on my lock screen so I don't even have to unlock the tablet to check for new mail. I also use a calendar widget, a weather widget, and a word-of-the-day widget. Love them all.

- The ES File Browser is great. With it I can connect wirelessly to my laptop, my SkyDrive, my webserver, and transfer files from them all.

- I love having a menu that collects all my apps, making me free to keep only a select few on the desktop to reduce the clutter. On iOS I used folders for this purpose, but I much prefer the menu system. It's true that I still use one folder on my desktop, but overall it's a much tidier experience.

- The notification bar is a thing of beauty. Makes it easy to quickly scan newly arrived e-mails, launch newly downloaded apps, respond to Google Talk chats, and all kinds of things.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, the only real complaint I have is with the cover. I bought the authentic Google cover along with the tablet, and it's a bit underwhelming.

Yes, it turns on/off the tablet, and it's pretty slick how it attaches to it and becomes part of the tablet, but I really wish Google would've taken a page from Apple's playbook and made it so the cover can be turned into a stand.

As it is, not only is it less functional than Apple's version, but it also makes the tablet less comfortable to hold. With the iPad I often fold the cover into a triangle when I hold it in my lap or on an armrest, but I have no such option with Google's cover.

Luckily there's third party solutions for that.

Last edited by K. Molen; 04-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #192
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I too thought of just buying W8 when it was cheap.
I never got around to doing it.
Now I am glad.

Maybe W9 or W10 or ...
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote