Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #31
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Well this is just freaking awesome. I thought I would log out of the desktop app and log back in again to see if that would make any difference as to whether I would get the update. Didn't make any difference but I did lose the 59 books I had on my wishlist.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They couldd reappear when you do a sync on your device. Mine did.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
They couldd reappear when you do a sync on your device. Mine did.
They might IF I ever synced my books to my device. If the Kobo Desktop app actually had more functionality than it does I might use it for more but as is I only use it to update the firmware and add books to my wishlist. My fault for assuming Kobo kept track of my wishlist like it keeps track of my previews and bought books.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #34
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There are several threads with information about this sort of thing, kaikara. My basic understanding is that when the Touch was first released, how the readers "partnered" with other sellers (for example, Borders in the US vs Whitecoulls in NZ) accounts for some of this. The base firmware on the device when purchased may also influence this.

Kobo has not yet (and may never) weigh in on installing from the .zip file. They did tell people NOT to install the 2.1.1 .zip in a thread all its own.
I know 2 Kobo touch, all from Fnac (So same partner), buyed same time (oct2011) who have the 2.1.4 auto-update in wifi the same day (this morning)... an one is 703 the other is 710.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #35
nicka
nicka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wondering whether to upgrade from 1.9.17. Does anyone know how the speed of page turns on sideloaded epubs compares?
nicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Wondering whether to upgrade from 1.9.17. Does anyone know how the speed of page turns on sideloaded epubs compares?
I'm wondering about this as well.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #37
Dipsomaniac
Dipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
So far I haven't been able to tell because upon my upgrade from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4, my KT crashes every time I try to open a sideloaded epub. Looks like another failure from Kobo so far.

Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 10-04-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added quote for context
Dipsomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Disappointed there are no new/improved fonts bundled.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
So far I haven't been able to tell because upon my upgrade from 1.9.17 to 2.1.4, my KT crashes every time I try to open a sideloaded epub. Looks like another failure from Kobo so far.
Just updated from 1.9.17 --> 2.1.4 and sideloaded epubs seem like they may be a tab slower but without a side by side comparison it's hard to tell for sure. At least it's not crashing for me... yet
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsomaniac View Post
I just manually installed the 2.1.4 update from 2.1.1 and it works perfectly with the two sideloaded epubs I tried. I love how zippy it is - and thank you for giving us the ability to add to shelves from the library view or from within a book itself!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #41
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Manually loaded 2.1.4, (r43710), from 2.1.1 and I do not see any difference in page turning speed, (lot faster than before 2.1.1).

I use side loaded epubs and no problems so far, touch wood.

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Has italics been fixed for Avenir?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Has italics been fixed for Avenir?
I just manually updated mine and Avenir font still has the italics bolded.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #44
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
My 6c on the new 2.1.4 firmware is thankfully every area that was slow on 2.1.1 is now impressively fast, including returning to the home page, and browsing and editing shelves ( also enjoying the new functional improvements) , and lastly sideloaded epub page turn speeds are at least comparable to 2.1.1 and placebos aside may be back to 1.9.17 levels. Well done Kobo ! Scooby snacks duly awarded .
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #45
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Has the cover bug been fixed? (The one where putting the Kobo to sleep shows you the cover of the last book you were reading, not the current one?)
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote