Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
mduran
mduran began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Cybook / iLiad ghosting

Hi there,

I'm new in the group. I have been reading the different posts for two days and I must say I have learned a lot !

I am considering buying an ebook reader and given my constraints / preferences / wishes I have come to a point where my two final options are a Cybook or and iLiad device. I have a slight inclination for the iLiad (more potential) but I'm quite concerned about these reports on excesive ghosting on the iLiad's screen.

My question is: are these ghosting issues something that iRex will or can gradually improve by means of firmware updates of the current model or is it an unavoidable limitation of the type of einkt screen used in the current ER-0100s ?
Is the vizplex technology of the Cybook so much better and stable in this respect ?

Thanks for the advice,
m.

Thanks
mduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have ZERO ghosting on either my CyBook or my iLiad. It seems that a few iLiads have had an issue with ghosting. I've not heard any reports of ghosting on machines with VizPlex screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have seen almost no ghosting on my iLiad V2 nor my CyBook. Sometimes, when they have been lying around for a while i do get ghosting. My personal iLiads screen is a tiny bit darker than the CyBooks, but i observe my iLiads screen to be sharper and with cleaner blacks and whites. But thats just minor differences. If you just read reflowabl texts like mobipocket, txt or html, then go for the CyBook. If you want to read A4 or letter size PDFs then the iLiad is the one to go.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
mduran
mduran began at the beginning.

I will be mostly using it to read technical books that are originally in chm format. i know the iLiad will be more suitable for this but going thru a pdf conversion and reformatting I guess I could also make them available for the Cybook... ?

Today I have been reading some horror stories on iRex's forum about the fragility of the iLiad's screen (so people getting broken screens just by almost looking at them). I guess there's not a single explanation for this but the size of the screen surface would play a role in there. Besides that, do you (people with both devices) feel that the Cybook's screen would be more robust than the iLiad's ?

m.
mduran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It does not feel more robust. But the double screensize just makes the iLiads screen more fragile. And you sometimes dont pay enough attention to it. Like haloding the iLiad and a phone in one hand with the phone on the iLiads screen. A simple shake and unlucky position of the phone migt put extreme pinpoint pressure on the iLiads screen. Or having it in a backpack and putting a torque force on it, might also break the screen.

But i have used the iLiad now for almost one and a half years, and i have not yet had any problems and although i am very careful with the screen, it is not as fragile as i would be scared to break it, while taking notes.

And since the Cybook is soooo thin, i am always afraid, it might break in half
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mduran View Post

Today I have been reading some horror stories on iRex's forum about the fragility of the iLiad's screen (so people getting broken screens just by almost looking at them). I guess there's not a single explanation for this but the size of the screen surface would play a role in there. Besides that, do you (people with both devices) feel that the Cybook's screen would be more robust than the iLiad's ?

m.
size is certainly a factor but the new version 2 iLiad has a more robust mechanical design that should help with this problem.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

My iLiad is also about a year and a half old, and I've even left a page on the screen overnight (while it was charging), flipped the page the next day and: NO ghosting. And I'm careful with it, but my four-year-old son has drawn pictures on it (and the 10-yr-old's done sudokus) without breaking anything.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote