Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Screensaver hack for Kindle Touch

I want to pay the $40 and get rid of the SO's on my Kindle Touch but before I do that I want to be sure there is a working hack so I can put my own screensavers on it. I looked at the screensaver hack thread here on MR but can't find anything specifically for the Touch. Can anybody lead me in the right direction? Thanks so much!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
mc2739
mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch
There is a sceensaver hack for kindle touch non-SO. More information is available here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking
mc2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Thanks for your post, but that looks way too complicated. I put the screensaver hack on my K2 and my K3, it was much simpler than that! Or am I just reading too much into it?
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
mc2739
mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.mc2739 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's not really that hard.

1. Jailbreak kindle touch: extract jailbreak package and play the mp3 file.
2. Install the screensaver hack: extract file contents and "Update Your Kindle".
3. Add your screensavers: this may be the hardest step since the files need to be named properly.
mc2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
theoddpassenger
theoddpassenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra H20
The process for just adding the screensaver hack is actually pretty simple, you just have to dig through that page to find it.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

Go to that link to download the jailbreak file. The readme provided in that download tells you how to jailbreak your kindle, but basically you take the mp3 provided, put it in your kindle's music folder, play it on your kindle's mp3 player and click the 'Press to Jailbreak' button that shows up.

Then go to this link:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...#Screen_Savers

Download the screensaver hack at that link. What you'll then do is take the file called update_ simple_screensaver_1.0_install.bin and place it in the root folder of your kindle. Then go into your kindle's settings, press menu, and select 'Update Your Kindle'.

Now you can change your Kindle's screensavers. Read the README provided with the screensaver hack or the IMAGE_NAMING_RULES file in your kindle's new screensaver folder to see the requirements for images to be screensavers.
theoddpassenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
SharonK
Enthusiast
SharonK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
I successfully used the jailbreak for the Touch and copied the xxx_install.bin to the root directory. Then I tapped on Menu to update and there's no choice to update. What did I do wrong?
SharonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
theoddpassenger
theoddpassenger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra H20
In order to see the Update option you have to go into your Kindle's settings and then press menu again once you are on the settings page. When you open that menu you should see the option 'Update Your Kindle'.
theoddpassenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think the recent update fixed the mp3 exploit.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think the recent update fixed the mp3 exploit.
Yes; thankfully it did. A security hole which allowed arbitrary script execution via the ID3 tags of an MP3 certainly needed to be fixed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote