Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #301
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Actually I think it would be interesting to read this month's Star Trek nomination, as it contains the author's own words before they were run through Paramount's patented Franchise Homogenizer. The last such book I read was The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay by Harlan Ellison, and it differed considerably from what finally aired. Though the episode became the all-time fan-favorite, to this day Ellison despises the late Gene Roddenberry for the changes he made to his script to make the characters nicer and more noble. "Eviscerated" is the word he used.
I know so very little about Star Trek that it would be akin to reading a book written in Martian. One of the few things I know is that there are generation, and I don't even know which generation this is or who's in which generation.

Oh, and Shatner wore a girdle.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #302
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Shatner is the only reason I watch the old shows. Otherwise I am not a Star Trek fan at all.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #303
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Discussion/Suggestion thread

Issy, This book concerns the original generation, of which Shatner's character played a major role. Since you already know that in the later movies Shatner wore a girdle, you should be good to go.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #304
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I might read it because it would fulfill science fiction, but I'd be giving up the opportunity to cross both science fiction and Bolivia at the same time off my reading challenges.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #305
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
In any given month, the title chosen will undoubtedly have some people opting not to read it for any of many reasons. That's a given, and entirely valid. Issy isn't likely to read a Star Wars book -- I get that.

What we're discussing here is how to make sure that we keep obvious blocking factors in mind when we make our selections. Both in the nominating process, and especially in the final voting process. And what several of us are suggesting is that long books (>500 pages or so), are more likely to cause people to opt out that month. As would, for example, a book not readily available from the US, or a book priced at $15 or more. (Even $9.99 is a lot for some people, and can be a blocker if the book isn't readily available from their library.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #306
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having seen the quantity and quality of the discussion for this month's book, I'm convinced that we _can_ have a good and active discussion. But for that to happen, we need to actively think through all aspects of the process as we first choose a book, and then discuss it. We've talked about what characteristics make for a good Book Club selection, even though I'm not convinced we've all internalized them, but there were two aspects of the discussion this month that I think made a material difference in the quality of the discussion.

The first of those was having the author present and participating. Obviously that's not likely to be an option very often, but the unusual circumstances this month made it possible and I'm glad we were able to have Ms. Kirstein join us. If the opportunity arises at some future point for a book we've chosen, I would love to have it happen again, but I'm not holding my breath.

The second thing that I think helped was having an active discussion facilitator. As the nominator, I felt a certain responsibility and tried to make sure I stayed active in the discussion throughout. There's certainly no rule that says the nominator (or any other designated person) needs to do that, but I think it helps, and I'd like to encourage others who nominate a book to play a more active role than has sometimes been the case. I think we all benefit.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #307
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have any objections if we drop the the practice of adding links to the nominations posts? I have recently begun adding a Goodreads link to all nominations, and since Goodreads already has their own links, it seems that it would make the nomination process easier for everyone. What do you think?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #308
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No objections here; I think it makes sense. Given our international population, many had to do their own search anyway. And OverDrive holdings are unique to each specific library.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #309
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Personally, I like to have them but it isn't a big deal for me if they aren't there. I need to search my library manually anyway and that is my first stop.

Does Goodreads give other store links anymore? Looking through last month's nominations I only see links for the Kindle eBook, Amazon, Stores > Smashwords (which is the only option) and libraries (WorldCat which isn't helpful for eBooks that I can see). There aren't links for B&N or Kobo in any of them that I can see. I have attached what I see for Heart of Darkness, I know it is available pretty much everywhere but the only non-Amazon option is Smashwords, even when I change to an "eBook" version of the book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	151798  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #310
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I prefer to have at least the basic ones. I certainly use them, and do my best to provide them.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #311
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No objections here; I think it makes sense. Given our international population, many had to do their own search anyway. And OverDrive holdings are unique to each specific library.
I've never quite understood the desire for OverDrive -- you still have to log into your library, and search for it, and see what, if anything, they have. The links are virtually useless from what I can see.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #312
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Completely agree about OD, I need to manually search my library anyway so having a link to their main site doesn't do me any good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sure, drop the links unless there a special reason for a link like a sale or its free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #314
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I mean, people can still put them in if they want to, and I'll record them in the same manner as I have in the past. The main thing is I don't want people to feel obligated to make a time-consuming hunt for links to everything they post. It's convenient, but not necessary, and if it encourages more people to participate, that's a good thing. After all, I believe most of us have no problem finding ebooks to buy.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #315
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've advocated for the nominations and voting to be a month ahead just so we can nominate large books and have the time to read. Also, it can give us time to get the books from Overdrive since the wait list can be too long for a regular month.

There is another option. Just do all the nominating/voting in January and there you go for the year.
I think overall people would prefer books that weren't a huge time commitment in any case, especially if we'd like to entice people out of their comfort zone. I take your point about OverDrive; I'm usually pretty lucky when it comes to getting a book when the alternatives are pricey, but this month while I'm on a few waiting lists for Sapiens, I won't get it in time for the discussion.

I think your alternative option is a non-starter. Too much work for Tom in particular and everyone in general, for one thing. I think it would cut down on participation, also. By year-end, early voters might have moved on while people who joined the club after the vote are disenfranchised.

Last edited by issybird; 10-24-2016 at 09:44 AM.