Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Arlin
Arlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Post Kindle DXG doesn't come back to the same spot on a page.

Hi, I got Kindle DXG 2.5.5 (with 3G that works internationally). I noticed after some time that when you flip pages forth and back within let's say 5 pages (for example p1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1) you are going to see exactly the same text layouts on all the pages. In other words when you come back to page 1 you will see it exactly the same. But if you go beyond some limit of number of adjacent pages and the keep turning back to page 10 from page 20 you will find page 10 displayed shifted a bit (by one sentence or by 5 lines or by a paragraph - it seems to be random effect really).
So the question is: is this normal. I guess it doesn't matter after all but somehow it doesn't go with the idea of an ebook being replacement for a printed book. Of course my model doesn't have the idea of page numbers (only location numbers). And it can't happen with pdf of course.
Second question is: is it possible that I miss a line of text either going page + or page -. It seems to rather retain a line or two when going backward and put it at the bottom of the screen. I don't want to need to check every now and then if I have missed something in the text flow.
I checked this on AZW and TXT. I still should check out MOBI. I have Mobipocket software and Calibre so I can make some test books to do that. Or maybe it is a problem with wrong formatting or no formatting at all. Or maybe it is quite difficult to paginate a continuum of text flipping pages backwards? Microsoft Word can do it though in page layout view. Why Kindle cannot?
Arlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
When you first open a book, you will see the status bar at the top of the page. That is where you see the wireless info, charge info, title of the page. when you go to the next page, you won't see the status bar and when you come back to the page you first opened there will be a shift because of the absence of the status bar. You are absolutely not missing anything, they just change places. There is no solution to this as far as i know, but it is really no big deal. The page numbers aren't exact in the first place as you can change the space between lines, font type, font size etc which all change the layout of the page of course.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a feature of the Mobipocket reader (which the Kindle uses) that going backwards a page doesn't precisely mirror going forward a page. All versions of the Mobi reader do this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Question bookmarks

if you bookmark a page is there a way to go back to that bookmark if you go forward or backward in the text?
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
The text as such doesn't exist until you go to a page.

When you go forward, it starts a page from the next word and fills the screen from there.

When you go back it has to calculate the approximate start of the page that will make the last word on the screen the word before the first word on the screen you just left (with me so far?). This could mean trying a first word, checking the result, adjusting, trying again, and again... which would impact on speed and battery life. So instead it approximates the first word to make a valid page that doesn't miss any text, you'll often get a few words or a line or so that previously appeared at the top of the next page - I say previously because, when you go forward again, it will again have used the word after the last word to start the next screen. This is a compromise, but does speed things and save battery.

I'm sure someone technical could explain it better, this is how I understand it which works for me, hopefully it helps you.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
flipping pages, text shift