Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How does a Wacom stylus work?

A stylus for a Wacom touch screen just looks like a piece of plastic, but it clearly isn't, given that the screen will only work with the "special" stylus. What is the "magic" in the Wacom stylus that makes the screen respond to it?

Just interested to know...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Everything is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom#Technology
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
For future reference, there is a much more satisfyingly sarcastic way to answer people who could answer their own questions with a very simple google search:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wacom+technology
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60

ardeegee

that is SO getting bookmarked
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I did do a Google search before asking, but did not come across that particular article.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Steve Jobs: Apple Invented the Wheel

The gory of history of pen computing is summarized here (with links):

http://users.erols.com/rwservices/biblio.html

We'll have to check out where this Apple patent application is going:

http://gizmodo.com/5402971/apples-ne...d-tablet-input

It seems to be of a software nature.

Wacom makes wonderful devices. I wish I could afford their top of the line Cintiq display/pad. Until the recent upsurge in pen computing and touchpad use for the consumer, I wasn't particularly interested in the technology. Now I am. Especially in the cost, which I hope will be lowered through the proliferation of the technology.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
For future reference, there is a much more satisfyingly sarcastic way to answer people who could answer their own questions with a very simple google search:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wacom+technology
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
The short answer? Extremely well!

The little bit longer answer: I couldn't do my covers without one. Well, I could, but it would get a lot messier! However, the onscreen stylus isn't necessary. The pad works beautifully and it was amazingly easy, even for an aged, confirmed pencil and paper gal to get used to working one place and seeing in another. In fact, I love it because your hand never gets in the way or smears the pencil/ink/paint!

And unless you're a really serious art-person, the lower end (intuos 3 and below) will probably do you just fine. I've got a 4, but I'm not sure I really need it.

I know...that wasn't what you were asking. But I thought the technical part had been handled already.
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
TheSpook
TheSpook began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's never too late

I know I know, 2 years late, but better late than never, especially since his question was never actually answered.

Anyways, http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/techinfo.html

Simple answer if you rather not click(it's the first paragraph, lol)
Quote:

The Wacom stylus looks and feels like a pen yet contains no batteries or magnets. Instead it takes advantage of electromagnetic resonance technology developed by Wacom Co. Ltd. in which radio waves are sent to the stylus and returned for position analysis. In operation, a grid of wires below the screen alternates between transmit and receive modes about every 20 microseconds.
Do what you may, do what you shall, I've come to do what I did and I am content.
TheSpook
TheSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It is very cool and amazing technology. I got along fine for many years with one of their early (pre-Bamboo) 4x5" pads for photo editing. The increase is sensitivity levels and function (button & scroll wheel in my newer and larger Intuous is a noticeable improvement if you're going to do actual painting-type work (along with the optional "Art" pen that detects tilt). The smaller pad with less sensitivity would still work just fine for photo masking and similar Photoshop editing.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not too much point in dragging a 2-year-old thread back from the dead, is there?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not too much point in dragging a 2-year-old thread back from the dead, is there?
I don't know ... I learned somthing, and saw a couple of very cool links. Thanks Spook!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
Oakroyd
Oakroyd began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60
The touchscreen function on my E60 has suddenly stopped working. Any ideas, chums? Can it be reset. Unlikely to be the pen I would think??
Oakroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have one, but it's definitely no cintiq. Newer android tablets are going to be like cintiq for us who can't afford the higher priced stuff, but it just won't be quite the same since there won't be the pressure sensitivity... just the ability to finger paint... but being able to see the image as you touch/manipulate the screen instead of having to look at one screen and touch somewhere else makes will make it a more direct process.

Asus just announced a 250.00 7" tablet that will be coming out in 2nd quarter... looks interesting since that's same price the nook is.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote