Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Problems compiling eb1150 on Ubuntu Intrepid

Greetings,

I recently bought an Ebookwise for my daughter as a birthday present. So far she has been most pleased with the device. We do not use windows computers at home however. I have been trying to compile the eb1150 driver but have been unsuccesful. ./configure works fine, but when I try to make I get the following:

make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -g -O2 -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/main.Tpo -c -o main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1/src'
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -g -O2 -MT main.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/main.Tpo -c -o main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
main.cpp:32: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
main.cpp:35: error: ‘strcmp’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

main.cpp:32: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/luqman/eb1150-0.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've used a windows computer at my parents' to move some books over to the device, but I would really like to be able to do this on my Ubuntu machine.

Thank you!

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I take it you have seen the installation instructions for the eb1150 here in our EBookwise-1150-Linux wiki? Download derrell's revised eb1150 offering here.

I've installed it in Ubuntu 8.04 and had it working well.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah that's the version I used when I received the error. I also tried an older version I found on an ubuntu forum. I followed the directions in the wiki and when I issued the make command received the error described above.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

I used g++ to compile the driver. Do you think using a different compiler may help?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I have been trying to compile the eb1150 driver but have been unsuccesful.
I don't own an eb1150 and opened this thread by accident, but I am a software engineer and this is the actual error:

Quote:
Which means that main.cpp isn't including string.h. Try editing main.cpp and adding the line:

Code:
#include <string.h>
In with the other #include lines.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Which means that main.cpp isn't including string.h. Try editing main.cpp and adding the line:

Code:
#include <string.h>
In with the other #include lines.
Thanks, you're right!

I think this compile under 8.10 picked up a typo in the file dev1150.h, line 21, which currently is:
Code:
#include <string>
but should be:
Code:
#include <string.h>
I'd be interested to know if this too cures your problems. If so, please report back so that we can "fix" that eb1150 driver .zip!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I think this compile under 8.10 picked up a typo in the file dev1150.h, line 21, which currently is:
Code:
#include <string>
but should be:
Code:
#include <string.h>
If this is C++ which uses strcmp(), it quite likely wants both <string> (the C++ standard string class) and <string.h> (ISO C NUL terminated char "string" manipulation functions, such as strcmp()).
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Thank you both very much. It worked when I applied both of your suggestions. I added

#include <string.h>

to both dev1150.h and main.cpp and it compiled succesfully. I've was able to use the driver in conjunction with impserve to transfer files to my daughter's device. You've made her birthday.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Thank you both very much. It worked when I applied both of your suggestions. I added

#include <string.h>

to both dev1150.h and main.cpp and it compiled succesfully. I've was able to use the driver in conjunction with impserve to transfer files to my daughter's device. You've made her birthday.
Thanks for this debugging information!

I think the only #include that you would need, in light of llasram's comments, would be the one in main.cpp, as he suggested.

Just for clarification, can you try without the #include in dev1150.h (that I suggested) to see which changes truly ARE necessary. If it doesn't work, then just change it back to your solution. In any event, I would still like to know so that we can properly "fix" the eb1150 driver.

And enjoy your new "addition" to your family circle...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

It definately takes both edits. Just editing main.cpp or dev1150.h singley doesn't do the trick.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
It definately takes both edits. Just editing main.cpp or dev1150.h singley doesn't do the trick.
That's great to know!

Exactly what I wanted (needed?) to know so that we can improve this driver!

Thanks again!