Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #91
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
To darryl, I say thankyou and well said. I just was surprised by the tone taken in the article, given that the Guardian is usually quite level headed on books. Just because you don't agree with something, especially something as harmless as this, doesn't mean no-one else should enjoy reading Baen books.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #92
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Baen Books is the reason I bought an e-reader, the reason I found MobileRead, and the reason I have a library of in excess of 3000 books here in my home.
Me too, although my current ebook count is closer to 1100.

I purchased David Weber's first Honor Harrington book "On Basilisk Station" in dead tree format because they offered it for $0.99. I loved it and proceeded to buy the next 9 books. As luck would have it book 10 was due out the next month and it included a CD with all the previous novels on ebook as well as other authors (like Ringo).

I think they are a great publisher with a fantastic DRM policy.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #93
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Baen has some great books/authors, some enjoyable ones, some meh (to me), and, well, John Ringo .

They do seem to have sort of niches in milSF (right wing and non) and elvish type fantasy, but that's hardly ALL they are.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #94
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Which is why I know they aren't only (or even primarily) about MSF: I own 657 of their books and I know what I have.
So, only 30 short of the entire catalog?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #95
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Are Baen books really that bad?
What I've been wondering about is:

"Why do the Baen Free CD's seem to be advertisements for David Weber?" I've not counted, but he seems to have gotten the lion's share of the space on those CD's.

So... if Baen is possibly that bad, is David Weber the worst of all of them (as to represent 'bad' as good as possible... if you get the snowdrift), or is he one of the few good ones, trying to hide how bad published by Baen books really are?

I don't know... never read anything published by Baen up until now.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #96
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm pretty sure there's more to their catalog than what's on Amazon or the webscriptions.

I got most of their webscriptions before the price hikes, so $10-12 a month (for 4+ books) seemed like a reasonable deal. Especially since they supported both Rocketbook and MSReader format.

There's a lot of unappreciated jewels in their catalog.

I'm on record as recommending the Rick Cook Wiz Biz fantasy romps, the Ryk Spoor BOUNDARY trilogy (very Clarke-ish straight SF), and their deep lineup of alternate history novels in the 163x series. Lots of fun reads with nary an army in sight.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #97
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I don't know... never read anything published by Baen up until now.
Weber is probably their top seller and, like Ringo and Flint, open to giving ebooks away for free. Not all their authors are comfortable with that kind of marketting.
(Bujold, for one.)

Here's one (non-BAEN author who does):
http://scottwilliamcarter.com/2014/0...writer-can-do/

If you don't mind the BAEN logo, you might want to look into:

THE FIRE ROSE by Mercedes Lackey
OATH OF FEALTY by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
WIZARD'S BANE by Rick Cook
RETIEF! by Keith Laumer
PANDORA'S PLANET by Christopher Anvil
BOUNDARY by Ryk Spoor
1632 by Eric Flint
BEYOND THIS HORIZON by Robert A. Heinlein
THE WITCHES OF KARRES by James H. Schmitz
TELZEY AMBERDON by James H. Schmitz

And, if you are feeling like a walk down the dark side:
VORPAL BLADE by (yes) John Ringo and Travis Taylor
50's-style space explorers boldly going... with a touch of whimsy here and there.

Check the free library and the CDs: a few are free...

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #98
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I see 684 in the Amazon Kindle store for NA buyers

Some of the posters 657 will be no longer available or no longer available for sale.

eg Lois McMaster Bujold took back all her older ebooks and publishes them herself.

Cats have to be fed you know.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #99
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Wow I knew nothing about this Baen thing. I don't want to read any book from it. And no, it's not my loss.
You do realize that's a click-bait article written from a position of ignorance, right? That the 'journalist' hasn't actually bothered to do any journalism or fact-checking?

Baen publishes people like Mercedes Lackey, Lois McMaster Bujold and Eric Flint. Lackey and Bujold are actually two of their most famous authors. I cannot possibly see any way the Guardian writer can justify their statements except for blind prejudice.

AFAIK, Baen is one of the few publishers to openly support authors from all parts of the political spectrum. Including some really great writers (Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion series should be read by every fantasy fan) and some really terrible ones (Kratman - ugh, Lackey - ditto) and a bunch of middle of the road authors, like most publishers.

Last edited by Rbneader; 09-03-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #100
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
AFAIK, Baen is one of the few publishers to openly support authors from all parts of the political spectrum.
Since Baen is a Macmillan imprint, I'd then say that big five publisher Macmillan openly supports authors from all parts of the political spectrum.

If by openly support you mean pays the author an advance -- and I don't know of another objective measure -- I could come up with examples of a self-identified liberal/progressive authors, and self-identified conservative/traditionalist authors, from each of the big publishers.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #101
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Since Baen is a Macmillan imprint, I'd then say that big five publisher Macmillan openly supports authors from all parts of the political spectrum.

If by openly support you mean pays the author an advance -- and I don't know of another objective measure -- I could come up with examples of a self-identified liberal/progressive authors, and self-identified conservative/traditionalist authors, from each of the big publishers.
I meant 'published openly and unambiguously political books' - usually I find fiction publishers go for one or the other end of the spectrum in what they choose to put on the market, or keep very quiet about politics altogether. Baen's the one that I know made a point of having authors across the political spectrum. I haven't heard of other publishers particularly doing it, but if there are I'd be happy to check them out.

Baen worked to have a distinct presence and focus, and that's what we're discussing in the thread. I really don't think the head of MacMillan (or any Big 5 publisher) cares about presenting a distinctive brand of books. Ain't no big CEO got time for that. They care about having a group of imprints that are each profitable. The imprints or smaller publishers are the ones that try to target their books.

EDIT: Are you sure Baen isn't it's own publisher? That's what I thought it was.

EDIT2: Ninja'd by AnemicOak

Last edited by Rbneader; 09-03-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #102
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Baen has nothing to do with Macmillan (perhaps you're thinking of Tor). They do have a print distribution deal with S&S, but aren't an imprint of that publisher either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 AM   #103
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Baen publishes people like Mercedes Lackey, Lois McMaster Bujold and Eric Flint. Lackey and Bujold are actually two of their most famous authors. I cannot possibly see any way the Guardian writer can justify their statements except for blind prejudice.
What statement? The article said "specialize" and your examples does not contradict that.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #104
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

Baen is independent. They are not a Macmillian imprint.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #105
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Weber is probably their top seller and, like Ringo and Flint, open to giving ebooks away for free. Not all their authors are comfortable with that kind of marketting.
(Bujold, for one.)

Here's one (non-BAEN author who does):
http://scottwilliamcarter.com/2014/0...writer-can-do/

If you don't mind the BAEN logo, you might want to look into:

THE FIRE ROSE by Mercedes Lackey
OATH OF FEALTY by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
WIZARD'S BANE by Rick Cook
RETIEF! by Keith Laumer
PANDORA'S PLANET by Christopher Anvil
BOUNDARY by Ryk Spoor
1632 by Eric Flint
BEYOND THIS HORIZON by Robert A. Heinlein
THE WITCHES OF KARRES by James H. Schmitz
TELZEY AMBERDON by James H. Schmitz
You have no idea how happy this list makes me. Anyone with the SLIGHTEST interest in sci-fi needs to read Schmitz's HUB books and the Chris Anvil collections.

Ryk Spoor is great too, I loved Grand Central Arena... great, old school style space opera.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote