Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #136
drogon
drogon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It should have wiped the entire partition before the error message. If you do not want the error message, the quick and dirty way is to add 2>/dev/null to the end of the command.

The "right" way is more complicated (which I try to avoid whenever possible), and requires that you find out how many blocks your destination has. There are a number of ways to do that. Using "fdisk -l" is one of them (but those are 512-byte blocks, so you have to divide by 8 to get 4K blocks), or you can use "df" (but that gives 1K blocks so you need to divide by 4). Then you need to add the computed block count to the "count=" parameter of "dd".

As you can see, it is a lot more complicated than my one-line answer, which just ignores the "normal" error when the device gets full.

Another way would be just to write enough to "kill" the partition format, such as "count=1000" or something...

The point is to make the partition no longer mountable, so that the startup scripts will reformat that partition during the next reboot.

I do :
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=8184((End - Start)*8)
After doing that,it's working.However,I can't update my Kindle.It showed error 007.
drogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #137
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogon View Post
I do :
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=8184((End - Start)*8)
After doing that,it's working.However,I can't update my Kindle.It showed error 007.
Which update are you trying to apply?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #138
qtybest
qtybest began at the beginning.

Quote:
the original 5.0.4 firmware update,and after the error the kindle stucked at the "wait a moment while your kindle starts up"and I failed to reset it by holding the power button,the only way to recover it is to selectboot to main via mfgtool,this also happen when i tried to reboot my device through restart the device in the setting menu
qtybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #139
drogon
drogon began at the beginning.

Quote:
My condition is the same as qtybest

the original 5.0.4 firmware update,and after the error the kindle stucked at the "wait a moment while your kindle starts up"and I failed to reset it by holding the power button,the only way to recover it is to selectboot to main via mfgtool,this also happen when i tried to reboot my device through restart the device in the setting menu .
drogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #140
qtybest

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtybest View Post
the original 5.0.4 firmware update,and after the error the kindle stucked at the "wait a moment while your kindle starts up"and I failed to reset it by holding the power button,the only way to recover it is to selectboot to main via mfgtool,this also happen when i tried to reboot my device through restart the device in the setting menu
what's more,I tried to jailbreak it by use yifanlu's jailbreak.mp3 and uninstall jailbreak.bin. however it's impossible to run the bin since the kindle stucked at the wait for kindle restart screen in all condition
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #141
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what's more,I tried to jailbreak it by use yifanlu's jailbreak.mp3 and uninstall jailbreak.bin. however it's impossible to run the bin since the kindle stucked at the wait for kindle restart screen in all condition
The mp3 jailbreak method was disabled in firmware newer than 5.0.0.

You can use a RUNME.sh with my generic data.tar.gz.

You should try setting the bootmode idme var to main.

If you can boot to main using MfgTool, then you should be able to use MfgTool to boot to fastboot or diags.

In fastboot, do:

fastboot setvar bootmode main

or in diags, from a RUNME.sh (or from an SSH shell if you installed mmcblk0p2_ssh) do:

idme -d --bootmain main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
reboot

Let me know how these work for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #142
qtybest

Quote:
The mp3 jailbreak method was disabled in firmware newer than 5.0.0.

You can use a RUNME.sh with my generic data.tar.gz.

You should try setting the bootmode idme var to main.

If you can boot to main using MfgTool, then you should be able to use MfgTool to boot to fastboot or diags.

In fastboot, do:

fastboot setvar bootmode main
now the device can restart by itself,but still has error 007 when updating

or in diags, from a RUNME.sh (or from an SSH shell if you installed mmcblk0p2_ssh) do:

idme -d --bootmain main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
reboot

Let me know how these work for you.

now the device an restart by itself,however the device still has error 007 when updating to 5.0.4 and i can't enable dictionary function
Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #143
qtybest

Quote:
now the device an restart by itself,however the device still has error 007 when updating to 5.0.4 and i can't enable dictionary function
and when i use the 5.0.3 update restart it and the error become 3
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #144
geekmaster

Quote:
and when i use the 5.0.3 update restart it and the error become 3
Did you flash the 5.0.4 main kernel image?

If you did, that might prevent the update to 5.0.4. You can flash a 5.0.0 main kernel image, but somebody needs to upload one and provide a link to it.

Or you can flash a main mmcblk0p1 image from a 5.0.4 kindle.

Another thing that can prevent updates to 5.0.3 or earlier is having changed files that the update wants to patch. The 5.0.4 update replaces entire files as needed instead of patching them, but it also updates the main kernel and may fail if that is not what it was looking for.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #145
qtybest

Quote:

If you did, that might prevent the update to 5.0.4. You can flash a 5.0.0 main kernel image, but somebody needs to upload one and provide a link to it.

Another thing that can prevent updates to 5.0.3 or earlier is having changed files that the update wants to patch. The 5.0.4 update replaces entire files as needed instead of patching them, but it also updates the main kernel and may fail if that is not what it was looking for.
i have flashed a 5.0.4 kernel,can you provide a 5.0.0 kernel image?or when the 5.0.5 is released it will be possible for me to update?

Last edited by qtybest; 04-07-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #146
qtybest

Quote:

or is it possible that i can get a main mmcblk0p1 image from a 5.0.4 kindle?and now de RUNME .sh doesn't work any more,i couldn't install my Chinese language pack either,why?

Last edited by qtybest; 04-07-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #147
geekmaster

Quote:
i have flashed a 5.0.4 kernel,can you provide a 5.0.0 kernel image?or when the 5.0.5 is released it will be possible for me to update?
There is now a download link for touch main kernel 5.0.0 in the first post for this thread.
Quote:
or is it possible that i can get a main mmcblk0p1 image from a 5.0.4 kindle?and now de RUNME .sh doesn't work any more,i couldn't install my Chinese language pack either,why?
You can get a main image from a 5.0.4 kindle with the "dd" command, as documented in many posts.

RUNME.sh is launched by a payload that is installed by various data.tar.gz files. Some payloads only work booting from main (not diags). Others only work on SOME kindle models and can severely brick a kindle if installed on the wrong kindle model. That is why I wrote a generic data.tar.gz that has a generic payload that works on ALL kindle models. I tested the payload that it contains on DX,DXG,K3,K4,Touch. The K3 and earlier need the payload installed manually because they do not automatically extract data.tar.gz. My generic payload also works booting from both main and from diags. In fact, it MUST boot from diags for a RUNME.sh to be able to write to the idme vars (such as bootmode). The idme command in the main boot is read-only.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-07-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #148
qtybest

Thanks for your kindly help for providing the 5.0.0kenel~
Can you tell me the exact line that I need to input to flash my kernel in the fastboot mode under windows?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #149
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks for your kindly help for providing the 5.0.0kenel~
Can you tell me the exact line that I need to input to flash my kernel in the fastboot mode under windows?
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #150
qtybest

Quote:
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.0.0.img
after flashing it I still have 007 error...maybe I should give up trying to update my kindle....

Tags
debricking