Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
4ll4n
4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up Kobo touch + Dropbox. It works!

Just wanted to share this as I've been forever waiting for a reader that would integrate Dropbox 'out of the box'.

I'be had a play around with the Kobo and the iPad app of the same name to see how they behave with each other.
Using dropbox on the ipad with the app is super simple but of course epubs don't sync between devices, no surprise there though I'm hoping a future update may change that. So I set about visiting the Dropbox site from the Kobo Touch browser and it turns out I was able to download an ePub to the reader without a problem from there.
Navigating to the file was somewhat fiddly but it worked!

I guess it makes perfect sense since epubs can be downloaded from sites offering free ebooks but I still felt it was worth sharing as I have not seen this mentioned anywhere and I think this makes the Kobo touch the only e-ink device capable of doing this without hacks.

Hope it helps others looking for this kind of functionality.
4ll4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wrote about this awhile back. Now what we need is someone who can find a way for Calibre to remember bookmarks and sync. I know that there is an Aldiko sync program that works with Dropbox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Works great.

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
johoul
johoul began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
hi there -

Just bought a new kobo touch and pretty happy with it so far. The one gripe I have is that I can't download books from drop-box through the browser (my wife has a sony prst1 and drop-box works perfectly with it). I suspect I may have to downgrade to an older firmware version to be able to use drop-box, does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance
johoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
4ll4n
4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.4ll4n can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Glo
Which firmware are you running at the moment?
4ll4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Flashpaul
Flashpaul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
To download a book from Dropbox I had to select the desktop version from the bottom corner

I was then able to download books
Flashpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The newest firmware seems to have broken the ability to download books via the browser.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
If that's true that's a real shame. I know the browser is not officially supported but this feature has to be fixed IMHO.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am using KT with firmware 1.9.17 and downloading books from my home server works fine. I tested with few books, sizes ranging from 5 MB to 55 MB. I am not using SD card if this matters.

The browser is quite slow to start up though, slower than with old firmware.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder why some servers seem to work, and others fail when downloading material... Some subtle difference in the HTTP protocol between servers?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

I just tested it with a custom nginx server and it's not working. I'll dig a little more.

EDIT :

After some testing I found out that any link to a php script don't work. On the other end any link to an epub work (and the epub is ready to be read).

I also found out that I get a reboot after every download so there's something wrong with my webserver or my Kobo or any interaction between those two.

Last edited by vlad59; 04-10-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
johoul
johoul began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
hey, thanks for all the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ll4n View Post
Which firmware are you running at the moment?
I'm running 1.9.17 (r37603) - just tried again with dropbox, it's connecting in desktop version - no reaction when i click on any pdf or epub -
johoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
vlad59
Addict

If you want to make some tests. I made a small HTML page with 3 download links :
  1. Direct download
  2. Download through a PHP script
  3. Download through a PHP script hidden by some URL rewriting

In all 3 cases the mimetype is correct : application/epub+zip.

I found out that only the second link is not working. But after each test my Kobo freezed and rebooted.

You can test it yourself : http://cops-demo.slucas.fr/index.html and tell me if you have the same results.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
peaze
peaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I was able to download via dropbox. (firmware .17)
I selected the desktop version from the bottom corner.
To download you have to double click!
Then the download button will appear.

regards
peaze

Last edited by peaze; 04-16-2012 at 10:25 AM.
peaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Isidar
Isidar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch T1
Wow this seems a good new, I'll try it in a few minutes
I'm happy to read this :-)

Yepp, it works,
Great thing ...
Just go to www.dropbox.com/login

Last edited by Isidar; 05-06-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: it works, just tested !!!
Isidar is offline   Reply With Quote