Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #61
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by highend View Post
As most of you should know already: Won't work if you install the 5.0.3 update.
Auto rotate still works after update.
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1923855&postcount=41
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #62
greghellyer
greghellyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Installing Kindle Touch MP3 Landscape Files?

Hi, I am having trouble getting this fix to work on my Kindle Touch. Should the Extensions directory be installed under the Music folder or under the root directory on the Touch? I've tried both ways and get the MP3 GUI but it doesn't do anything....Thanks....
greghellyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #63
blackjack13
blackjack13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastik View Post
Code:
How to type code on Putty
blackjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #64
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Code:
After the v5.0.3 firmware update it's still possible to set the device in landscape mode (using the GUI launcher) but with an extra issue. Now when reading a book in landscape mode the last 2/3 characters (a fixed vertical stripe of pixels) of each TEXT row are not displayed. Header and footer are still there.

Addition: this issue concerns only the book reading application. The web browser is OK.

Last edited by pirl8; 01-19-2012 at 04:29 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #65
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack13 View Post
How to type code on Putty
You can use vi command to edit files. But be sure to have backups of your root file system (see KT wiki). If you are not comfortable with vi or other parts of my description, it's better to wait.
So far, I haven't figured an easy way to automate it without distributing Amazon code.
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #66
ft.parham
ft.parham began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Hi every body, I have a big problem! I installed rotation pack on my kindle touch and after that I couldn't use it i mean it didn't work I decided to uninstall it. after that I couldn't open the store, after two or three times my device restart and after that whenever I try to open either store or special offers it gives me this error "the selected application could not be started. Please try again"
please help me what should I do now?
ft.parham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #67
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft.parham View Post
Hi every body, I have a big problem! I installed rotation pack on my kindle touch and after that I couldn't use it i mean it didn't work I decided to uninstall it. after that I couldn't open the store, after two or three times my device restart and after that whenever I try to open either store or special offers it gives me this error "the selected application could not be started. Please try again"
please help me what should I do now?
Keep the power button pressed for about 20 seconds. Then release it.
Click to power on. Your kindle shoud then reboot.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #68
mr.w0lf
n00b
mr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with others

Quote:
You can use vi command to edit files. But be sure to have backups of your root file system (see KT wiki). If you are not comfortable with vi or other parts of my description, it's better to wait.
So far, I haven't figured an easy way to automate it without distributing Amazon code.
on windows a nice way to get files and then edit them with notepad is WinSCP
http://winscp.net

usefull even for going around filesystem and copy/modify things.
mr.w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #69
mr.w0lf
n00b
mr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with othersmr.w0lf plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
After the v5.0.3 firmware update it's still possible to set the device in landscape mode (using the GUI launcher) but with an extra issue. Now when reading a book in landscape mode the last 2/3 characters (a fixed vertical stripe of pixels) of each TEXT row are not displayed. Header and footer are still there.

Addition: this issue concerns only the book reading application. The web browser is OK.
So, to summarize, with 5.0.3 (will add this on main topic):

1) mp3 bug is fixed (no more code execution)
2) ebook reader app mess (more) up by using landscape mode.
3) auto-rotation still works, for now, but (2) should still be present

I am full-time studing but i'll try to give my 2 cents of help if i can.
now, brain storming on what to do now:

i think that the most simple thing to do is to make an uninstaller for the 5.0.3 patch (as far as i have seen, nothing really worthy in this update)

PRO: fix 1,2,3 in 1 time
CON: will work just for already JB devices.

what do you think?

@rastik using linux patch system?

@pirl8 il nick faceva intuire che fossi italiano, ma l'host dell'immagine mi ha confermato la cosa
mr.w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #70
pirl8
Pest

I think the main advantages of the 5.0.3 update are faster page turns and more precise "touch". Anybody willing to attempt a patch to uninstall the update, should consider to leave at least those features in place, if possible.

BTW there's another issue to consider, closely related to the 6-tap bug. After 6 swipes (when you want to go to prev/next chapter) the display is not refreshen and stops responding, unless you tap on the top to bring down the menu bar. I think it was still there in previous firmware, maybe someone can confirm.

@mr.w0lf: ebbene sì!

P.S.

Is there a kindle emulator anywhere?

Last edited by pirl8; 01-19-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #71
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
I think the main advantages of the 5.0.3 update are faster page turns and more precise "touch". Anybody willing to attempt a patch to uninstall the update, should consider to leave at least those features in place, if possible.
Thanks for pointing out these advantages!

Quote:
BTW there's another issue to consider, closely related to the 6-tap bug. After 6 swipes (when you want to go to prev/next chapter) the display is not refreshen and stops responding, unless you tap on the top to bring down the menu bar. I think it was still there in previous firmware, maybe someone can confirm.
I HAD 5.0.0 firmware and I'm quite sure it didn't have the 6 page turn issue. Now because I have activated brilliant auto-rotation proposed by Mehdi, I'm not sure if this issue is caused by the firmware or Mahdi's auto-rotation but it wasn't in 5.0.0.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 01-19-2012 at 05:04 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #72
blackjack13
blackjack13 began at the beginning.

[QUOTE=mr.w0lf;1931305]So, to summarize, with 5.0.3 (will add this on main topic):

1) mp3 bug is fixed (no more code execution)
2) ebook reader app mess (more) up by using landscape mode.
3) auto-rotation still works, for now, but (2) should still be present

I am full-time studing but i'll try to give my 2 cents of help if i can.
now, brain storming on what to do now:

i think that the most simple thing to do is to make an uninstaller for the 5.0.3 patch (as far as i have seen, nothing really worthy in this update)

PRO: fix 1,2,3 in 1 time
CON: will work just for already JB devices.

+1 like
blackjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #73
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I HAD 5.0.0 firmware and I'm quite sure it didn't have the 6 page turn issue
You don't have the 6-page turn issue when in portrait. The problem is in landscape mode, if you don't turn on the page refresh. This was done automatically by all the "orientation" hacks implemented so far.

I was talking about a slightly different problem. If you want to turn pages you have to tap left and right to go back and forward. If you want to go to next/previous chapter you have to swipe over the screen. After 5 sweeps the display locks as it used to do when tapping without refresh.

Quote:
There's another issue, after this auto-rotation, when I'm in landscape mode, the far right-end of the texts is cut!!!
This the issue no. 2 in mr.w0lf list. It happens while reading a book and not while browsing the web. This bug has been introduced by the 5.0.3 update.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #74
Newbot
Newbot began at the beginning.

Thanks so much! My kindle's usefulness has increased by 300%!
Newbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #75
dir194
dir194 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Why not use my launcher?
somehow the launcher's portrait inverted mode doesn't work on my kt (neither 5.0.0 nor 5.0.3) it will be useful when I try to lean it up against the wall and the power button trigger by accident. Is there any way to make portrait inverted works?

Last edited by dir194; 01-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
dir194 is offline   Reply With Quote