Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Astabeth
Member who wants a reader
Astabeth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Project Gutenberg on Kindle 1?

Hi, all!

After everyone's help here at MR, I have decided to get a Kindle 1. So now I have a new question. I understand that Project Gutenberg texts can be modified / formatted somehow to use on Kindles. My question is, if I don't mind typos and formatting errors, can I use these on a Kindle? If so, which format do I download? Plucker, HTML, or one of the two plain texts (if so, which)? Or does it have to be converted somehow?

I appreciate the help and hope to help some myself once I get my reader and learn more.

Thanks,
Astabeth
Astabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The plain text version can be read on the Kindle, but you'll get hugely better results if you spend a few minutes converting it to MobiPocket format, which is the Kindle's "native" format. I have written a number of tutorials which describe how to do that; they can be downloaded from the "Book Uploads" forum section.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Astabeth
Member who wants a reader
Astabeth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks! So looking here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17914 it sounds like I should download the HTML version of the books to get started? I am currently downloading and will have to convert from home. Mostly art history books (I am looking for some things for my students) but I don't have to have the pictures intact.

One other thing - do you know if the converting software works on a mac?

I am still reading... haven't found it yet.

Last edited by Astabeth; 03-11-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: I am nervous about it because I read a post here where someone said they could only convert one book per day!
Astabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
One other thing - do you know if the converting software works on a mac?

I am still reading... haven't found it yet.
Book Designer will not run in Mac OS. If you run Windows via Parallels or Boot Camp (or maybe VM Ware?) it will run.

Be sure to check the books here that have already been nicely formatted. You'd want to use the Mobipocket/PRC version for the Kindle. You can also get a lot of the PG books at feedbooks.com

Both the Mobile Read and Feedbooks libraries can also be accessed right from your Kindle via Whispernet (or of course you can download to your computer).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17465
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25268
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
[...]
My question is, if I don't mind typos and formatting errors, can I use these on a Kindle? [...]
Thanks,
Astabeth
if you haven't already, you might want to check the Kindle book store - many (but obviously not all) Gutenberg titles are there for free. sort by price - low to high to start; you can search for titles too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12367936...011&sort=price
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Harry is right, nicely converted books are better, but I have also downloaded and read plain text files from Project Gutenberg. They're usable and readable if you can ignore the lack of formatting. They're free, putting them on the Kindle is a very small investment in time, and the worst that can happen is that you won't like it, you'll delete it and start over.

I would also strongly second AnemicOak's suggestion to use the libraries here. I've been impressed with how good a job folks here do with the texts--often better than Amazon, I hate to say (but I must).
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And in case you are as dense as me, the libraries here means "find that blue bar about an inch down from the top of this very page, it says EBOOKS on it. Click there! Then select format MOBIPOCKET." It took me several weeks to notice that very obvious blue bar!
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
And in case you are as dense as me, the libraries here means "find that blue bar about an inch down from the top of this very page, it says EBOOKS on it. Click there! Then select format MOBIPOCKET." It took me several weeks to notice that very obvious blue bar!
And several months to catch on that psockpuppet was a sockpuppet.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, hush up!! A vague memory says I may have originally known that (and the "ps" in the name should have helped) but lost that fact, as time progressed.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
And several months to catch on that psockpuppet was a sockpuppet.
So that's why it smells like dirty feet in here.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
FeedBooks is pretty awesome for public domain stuff formatted for the Kindle.

http://www.feedbooks.com/
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
It does take some time to get all the formatting down, but its worth it.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think it would be well worth your time to convert the text to mobiformat, or simply see if the titles you're interested in are available through Amazon for free; I've found quite a few that way.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I know it's been said before, but always check HERE (mobileread) first, to see if someone has formatted a public domain book. There are more than 5000 books online here. (I forget the latest count)
Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So that's why it smells like dirty feet in here.
Nah. That's Adrian, who needs a bath. And I'm not going to be the one to mention it to him.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote