Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Post Anyone buying back-up Readers?

I'm a complete machine addict and would rather use a device that I love than let vendors decide. Obsolescence only really happens when the parts and the knowledge are gone - my car is 50+ years old, and still running strong.

So I thought I'd start a thread for others who may be looking to pick up a Sony before they disappear.

T2

Tiger Direct has new Black T2s for $99US, plus refurbished for $69US and bundled with a $25 giftcard for $79US. (I bought the bundle as a gift last Christmas - no problems AFAIK)

New Red or White T2s from this ebay seller for $90US - Got my original from him, and will most likely get another.

T3

Looks like Best Buy Canada and Future Shop have the T3S for $79.99CA in Red or Black - no shipping for those of us in the US, but nice deal for those in Canada. (I may have to send my brother back home across the bridge to Windsor for a red one.)

US eBay has a few, some reasonably priced and others not so much, especially on the shipping charge.

Here's hoping for some great deals in the future - and maybe better availability for those of us in the US.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the "good for 50 years idea" fails on predicted battery life. 3 years if you are lucky, and not using it for 3 years does not work in your favour.
the T3 is still £99 in uk sony store ,same as at xmas - so no reductions yet.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, going to be looking into battery replacement down the road, if necessary. I'm fortunate to have a friend who loves fiddling with electronics.

I miss the days when hardware had user-replaceable/swappable batteries. Of course, battery capacity was a lot smaller then, too.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not actually read anything on how hard it is to change T series batteries, I know there are replacement kits for the x50 models, if you are up to the fiddly steps involved
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
And IF your going to Storage them You need to remove the Batteries for Safety.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I really like my PRS-T1, but I don't plan to buy another Sony reader unless they start selling new models in the US again. I will probably just wait until something happens to my T1 and see what epub readers are available in the US at that time.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I assume those prices for the T3 are sans case. I see the case as essential.

re: backups, I move to a rooted Nook STR (I have two) but I have a T1 & T2 and three 650s. *Shakes head* I'll have to get some 650 replacement batteries.

I'd like a front-lit e-reader, but the device I want hasn't been made yet (at least, in N.America, and for a decent price).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm still using my 505 from 2009. The battery is getting pretty bad. But I have bought a few extras off eBay (at least one works perfectly) which I alternate use. I like the buttons and just want to read...

I may get a new battery for my original 505. I'll use them until they die or something I really like comes out.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
And IF your going to Storage them You need to remove the Batteries for Safety.
why ? as there ever been a report of an exploded/caught fire battery inside of a sony reader ?

and as we know, you can't easily remove a battery - you need special tools & plenty of skill to do that.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I assume those prices for the T3 are sans case. I see the case as essential.

the T3 case is integral to the design - closing teh flap puts device in standby, like closing a laptop. It's a neat feature

So they are not sold without a case
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
So they are not sold without a case
Incorrect, there is a version without a case - the T3S.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Incorrect, there is a version without a case - the T3S.
not in the Sony store, there isn't. It may theoretically exist but have you seen a new one on sale anywhere ?
the only one that google shopping finds is a Jap import on ebay. I suspect there is no european T3S

Last edited by cybmole; 02-10-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
sharphamster
Anathema Device

Quote:
I've not actually read anything on how hard it is to change T series batteries, I know there are replacement kits for the x50 models, if you are up to the fiddly steps involved
Thanks cybmole - I checked with the vendor I've always bought my PDA batteries from, and they carry new batteries for most of the discontinued Sony models too. I've sent them a message asking if they are considering carrying stock for the Tx line also.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
not in the Sony store, there isn't. It may theoretically exist but have you seen a new one on sale anywhere ?
the only one that google shopping finds is a Jap import on ebay. I suspect there is no european T3S
I bought my T3S from ebook.de. Still rather theoretical for US residents. BTW I would not buy a spare T3. I hope for better hardware in 3 or 4 years, depends on how long the battery will endure.
Hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Interesting idea but what those ereaders will become if Sony doesn't update the firmware to render the new DRM scheme?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote