Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
Loading an HTML document

Sometimes when I load a new HTML document to make into an ebook it appears on the list with its actual file name.

Sometimes it appears with the name "Default."

Is there a way to control which way this goes?

rk
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
RossK

Loading an HTML document
Sometimes when I load a new HTML document to make into an ebook it appears on the list with its actual file name.

Sometimes it appears with the name "Default."

Is there a way to control which way this goes?

rk
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Just a wild guess: Since file name and contents have no inherent relationship, and HTML has such facilities as a <title> tag to store document titles, maybe you're experiencing decent and poor HTML authoring?
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
Just a wild guess: Since file name and contents have no inherent relationship, and HTML has such facilities as a <title> tag to store document titles, maybe you're experiencing decent and poor HTML authoring?
Thanks, but I'm doubting that since the HTML producer (Open Office Writer) is always the same.

RK
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
Thanks, but I'm doubting that since the HTML producer (Open Office Writer) is always the same.
That I would agree with if you wrote your stuff directly on that program, but the moment you're using it to process imported HTML from somewhere else, everything depends again on what was previously in the files. Maybe you can post your files somewhere so we can have a look. Or you can load them in a browser and see what that reports as title.
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
RossK

Quote:
That I would agree with if you wrote your stuff directly on that program, but the moment you're using it to process imported HTML from somewhere else, everything depends again on what was previously in the files. Maybe you can post your files somewhere so we can have a look. Or you can load them in a browser and see what that reports as title.
These are separate text documents downloaded from a fanfic site, combined into one document per set and saved in both .odt and .doc. When final editing is done I convert to HTML.

I just loaded a dozen of them one at a time into Firefox and they all came up under the proper title. Frankly, I don't know enough about any WP's to draw a conclusion.

I'm going to check to see if files converted from .doc to html act the same as those converted from .odt to hmtl.

RK
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
RossK

Quote:
I've angered the gods. I checked into the first link, but when I came back for the other one neither appeared in the posts.

The first one was about vcredist_x86.exe. There are 5 of them on my system from 2624 Kb to 4381 Kb and the way "Created" date stamps hopscotch around I have no idea what is the lastest. OO 3.4 installed one days ago (apparently the latest one installed) long since the issue began that is 4111 Kb so I'm still clueless.

I wonder if I replaced the one from the OO _3.3_ installation with the smallest one it might work...

RK
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
These are separate text documents downloaded from a fanfic site, combined into one document per set and saved in both .odt and .doc. When final editing is done I convert to HTML.

I just loaded a dozen of them one at a time into Firefox and they all came up under the proper title. Frankly, I don't know enough about any WP's to draw a conclusion.
When you add an ebook to calibre, calibre will get the title and author from either the file name or the metadata. I'm assuming you have it set to get these from the metadata in the file. If so, are you setting the document properties in OpenOffice? Calibre seems to read the title from this. I suspect that with the different files you are combining, sometimes the title property is being set (say from the title of a HTML file) and sometimes it isn't.

Also, as you are talking about fanfic, have you tried the FanFiction Downloader plugin?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Also, as you are talking about fanfic, have you tried the FanFiction Downloader plugin?
Thanks for your reply.

I haven't so much as understood the difference between plugin and extension yet... I have managed somehow to get a couple plugins working, but never heard of the one you named. Is there a good description of it somewhere?

I guess I really need to try to get the Open Office guys to help on this bit about where the "Default" title and my name as author are coming from.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I haven't so much as understood the difference between plugin and extension yet... I have managed somehow to get a couple plugins working, but never heard of the one you named. Is there a good description of it somewhere?
Have a look in the Plugins section here. There is a list of all available plugins and a separate thread for most of them. The thread and development for the FanFictionDownloader plugin is very active. Odds are, its thread is the first one listed.

Quote:
I guess I really need to try to get the Open Office guys to help on this bit about where the "Default" title and my name as author are coming from.
Did you look where I suggested? I'm not sure why it is "Default", unless this comes from the template you are using, but calibre reads the title from the title property of the OpenOffice document. The same goes for the author, but I don't see how to change that in OpenOffice. I think it sets the author to whatever you set it to when installing OO.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
RossK

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you look where I suggested? I'm not sure why it is "Default", unless this comes from the template you are using, but calibre reads the title from the title property of the OpenOffice document. The same goes for the author, but I don't see how to change that in OpenOffice. I think it sets the author to whatever you set it to when installing OO.
I guess I'm too dense to understand what you suggested. In OO's File -> Properties -> Description I can change the author on an as-I-go basis, but I have dozens of documents to do and would hope to find how to set whatever sends "Default" in there in the first place. Since it has set the title right 2 or 3 times there must be a way.

I'm going to try removing my name from Properties. That will probably make author say "Unknown," but I'd still like to get "behind" that. The guys at OOo Forum essentially say "It does what it does." Maybe someone who knows it well will still post and give me something to go on.

You mentioned metadata and something I must have set. I really didn't follow that ... not even which program you were talking about, Calibre or OO Writer.

Templates is another subject I haven't had much luck with. But I am not using a pre-designed template. I just set one up with the margins I want.

RK
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
MrWarper
Zealot

If you want to be in absolute control, doff OpenOfffice etc. -- just open the HTML in Notepad (or the like), and change

<title>Whatever there is</title>
<meta name="author" value="whoever"...

to
<title>Whatever you want</title>
<meta name="author" value="whatever you like"...

If you have it already in a few files, you'll probably want some kind of scripted tool (I doubt you can batch-process files with OO); as for setting the defaults, didn't googling "OpenOffice HTML title author" help?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ RossK: In OpenOffice
the title of the document is in: File --> Properties --> Description;
the author is in: Extras --> Options --> OpenOffice.org -->User data

George
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote