Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
ldoblas
ldoblas began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Cannot get covers to show on my Kobo

I have a Kobo touch reader and I use caliber to manage my books. However I am unable to get some book covers showing in the Caliber library into my Kobo. I have tried epub to epub conversion, resetting my Kobo and don't know what to do anymore. Please give me a hand in order to solve this problem. Many thanks.
ldoblas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Try deleting the book and resending it. First make sure the cover shows in the calibre viewer.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
ldoblas

I have deleted it and resent it many times. I have converted it again from epub to epub, I have used the viewer to check the cover and it is there, but still dont show on my Kobo.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoblas View Post
I have deleted it and resent it many times. I have converted it again from epub to epub, I have used the viewer to check the cover and it is there, but still dont show on my Kobo.
When you delete it, are you doing this from Calibre or the Kobo? When it finds a new ebook on it, the Kobo generates cover images. If the book does not have a cover, the image generated are of the first page in the book. If you replace the book with a new version that has different covers, the images are not regenerated. If you delete the book using the Kobo, the images should be removed. If you delete it using Calibre, I don't know if the images are removed.

If you want to check the images, they are in ".kobo\images" on the Kobo when it is connected via the USB. The image names include the file name of the ebook with spaces changed to underscores. There should be five images per ebook. I think that any one being there will prevent the images from being regenerated. The image file extensions are "parsed", but hey are JPEGs and you can view them if you want to.

You can also open the ebook on the Kobo using the Calibre viewer while it is connected. This way, you can make sure it has the version you think it should. And make sure there aren't other versions hanging around.

After saying all that, what I would do is:

- Using the Kobo, delete the ebook.
- Connect the Kobo to the computer and check the ebook and image files are gone.
- Use Calibre to put the updated ebook on the Kobo.
- Disconnect the Kobo, wait until it rescans the files and then check that the cover is correct.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
ldoblas

I delete most books from Calibre. I'll try doing it from Kobo. I'have seen many covers in the Kobo directory, do I need to remove them?
Many thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When you delete it, are you doing this from Calibre or the Kobo? When it finds a new ebook on it, the Kobo generates cover images. If the book does not have a cover, the image generated are of the first page in the book. If you replace the book with a new version that has different covers, the images are not regenerated. If you delete the book using the Kobo, the images should be removed. If you delete it using Calibre, I don't know if the images are removed.

If you want to check the images, they are in ".kobo\images" on the Kobo when it is connected via the USB. The image names include the file name of the ebook with spaces changed to underscores. There should be five images per ebook. I think that any one being there will prevent the images from being regenerated. The image file extensions are "parsed", but hey are JPEGs and you can view them if you want to.

You can also open the ebook on the Kobo using the Calibre viewer while it is connected. This way, you can make sure it has the version you think it should. And make sure there aren't other versions hanging around.

After saying all that, what I would do is:

- Using the Kobo, delete the ebook.
- Connect the Kobo to the computer and check the ebook and image files are gone.
- Use Calibre to put the updated ebook on the Kobo.
- Disconnect the Kobo, wait until it rescans the files and then check that the cover is correct.
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoblas View Post
I'have seen many covers in the Kobo directory, do I need to remove them?
The only ones that should not be there are the ones for ebooks that have been removed from the Kobo. You can safely delete these. If you delete an image for an ebook that is still on the Kobo, it won't break anything. The Kobo will use a default cover when it needs to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
When I got my KT a few days ago I had the same problem - I went into Calibre and edited the metadata by searching for and adding covers to the books that had missing covers. That fixed it.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caliber, covers, kobo