Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Touch with offers and reverting firmware

I continue to have problems with tapping/page-turning not responding, and I'd like to try reverting to 1.9.14 (although I have my doubts it will help). I have a Kobo Touch with Special Offers that is running 1.9.16.

Will I be able to revert to 1.9.14?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contacted Kobo support and will post their response.
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
I am pretty sure they will not encourage you to do it, but AFAIK the hardware of the special offers and "regular" are identical, so you should be able to put 1.9.14 on it - and until you sync with Kobo Desktop or through Wifi the ads will also disappear...
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
I am pretty sure they will not encourage you to do it, but AFAIK the hardware of the special offers and "regular" are identical, so you should be able to put 1.9.14 on it - and until you sync with Kobo Desktop or through Wifi the ads will also disappear...
When I initially purchased it, and later did a factory reset, it seemed to upgrade to 1.9.16 automatically. If I downgrade (to 1.9.14), it won't automatically upgrade (to 1.9.16) once I enable wifi?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

I'm afraid it will upgrade itself again, yes, so you have to give up syncing, using wifi, and all kobo-related stuff, even reading kepubs. Also you have to "trick" the sqlite database to get rid of the initial "Set up your Kobo" screen.
If you are still interested, I can tell you the steps you should follow. Or you can wait for the next firmware release - hopefully that will be available soon, and will resolve the tapping problems.
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Here is Kobo's reply to my email (I included my original email):

Quote:
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
Kobo Touch tap problems and reverting firmware

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (XXX) 03/09/2012 11:21 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your device.

To resolve your issue we recommend that you perform a pinhole reset on the eReader. To perform a pinhole reset, please follow these steps:

1. Please make sure the eReader is charged.
2. Turn the eReader onto its back. You will see a small hole in the back.
3. Find and bend a paper clip that is small enough to fit into the hole.
4. Press the paper clip into the hole and hold for 3 seconds or until the Kobo eReader screen starts to refresh.

Feel free to contact us if you have further queries.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Customer By Email (XXX) 03/09/2012 08:25 AM
Hello,

I have a Kobo Touch with Special Offers with firmware 1.9.16. I've had
it for about 2.5 months. I have a problems with taps not being
recognized; About one in 10 times it doesn't turn a page. It looks like
it is a very common problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166744

I would like to try an older firmware (1.9.14), to see if will help with
the problem. Is this possible with a Special Offers Kobo Touch?

Thank you,
XXX

Question Reference #XXX-YYY
Product Level 1: Kobo Touch With Offers
Category Level 1: Complaint
Date Created: 03/09/2012 08:25 AM
Last Updated: 03/09/2012 11:21 AM

Troubleshooting
So I gave them a call. They asked for my email address, home address and phone, and what color the unit was. They said they were going to send me another email confirming the information, and requested I reply by email with a picture of the unit and my receipt.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
clsdclsd
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
... and what color the unit was...
Let me guess... Black?

(That's the only available color for Special Offers version)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer

No email from Kobo, and no call.

The Kobo Touch is so frustrating! I installed the plugin, and many problems went away (book deletion, table of contents not displaying, ..., although I still had page turning problems). So I wanted to verify that the plugin actually solved the problems. I uninstall the plugin. The problems come back. I reinstall the plugin, and the problems are still occuring.