Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #16
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
<wipes a couple of tears away> Crack me up over here. I needed that.

In all seriousness now, isn't there an option while ordering via Amazon to mark the item as a gift which keeps it from being included in your "owned" items? I know I used it during the holiday season for a few gifts, or is that strictly seasonal? (Ok, now I'm totally off topic... Hey! What's that over there? <sneaks away>)
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, I have my Reader installed on 2 PCs although they share the same account name with each other. If your mum makes her UK account look like a second version of your current account then she can download whatever you buy and can charge books to your deposit credit card. It should work, I think, I hope, maybe, perhaps, might.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
RWood, that should absolutely work. Basically, all AndiR's mum would need to do is install the ConnSoft, and log into AndiR's account from it, of course, that assumes AndiR trusts her with the e-mail address and password for the account, and doesn't mind paying for all her books.

L1Wulf, I guess I should pay more attention when I'm ordering stuff from Amazon -- I think I've noticed that "this is a gift" thing, but it didn't register in my brain as anything other than a request for gift wrapping. Thanks for pointing it out, before sneaking away.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
RWood, that should absolutely work. Basically, all AndiR's mum would need to do is install the ConnSoft, and log into AndiR's account from it, of course, that assumes AndiR trusts her with the e-mail address and password for the account, and doesn't mind paying for all her books.
We are doing this and it works fine.

We have fairly similar tastes in books
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Well, she would have to use your US based credit card anyway since they will reject any request that has a non-US based credit card.

Other than "Doc Savage" my Father and I have no common interests in the type of books we would read.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #21
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
We went and got the 2nd Reader today at the local Borders. When at the store waiting to pay they handed us one from behind the counter (there was no display but I had spied the boxes on a shelf back there during a previous visit). I noticed the box was a little mangled and mentioned it to my girlfriend but told her it was hers and she could take it or ask for another one, whatever she wanted. The cashier said all the boxes looked like that due to poor Sony shipping (uh huh). We went ahead and bought that one but when we got out to the car I had her take it out of the box and turn it on. Sure enough, it had been used, it only had two battery bars left and it was sitting on the 14th page of one of the sample books. Great.

She went back in and exchanged it while I waited in the car. The manager gave her some grief but gave her another one, she turned it on in the store and confirmed it came on with the "Starting up..." page before accepting it. The manager claimed it couldn't possibly be used because they hadn't had any returned at that store, so I can only assume an employee "borrowed" it.

Anyway, we got it home and installed Connect on her laptop and hooked it up. It crashed. The screen went weird, it got black lines in spots all around the outside edges of the screen and the Sony name that usually shows on the bottom when connected was all mangled. The Connect software recognized it for a split second and then it disappeared from the menu. We unplugged it and let it wall charge for a few hours and then tried again and it was fine. Kind of scary out of the box experience though.

On the second hookup it authorized fine and we were able to download all the previous purchases to the new Reader. No $50 credit though, still bummed about that.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 01-14-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote