Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Synchronising library with device

As my last dumb question got a very quick and helpful answer, I thought I'd ask another one ....

Is there any way of synchronising the calibre library with the attached device? Even some assistance with this would be helpful - such as being able to search for books in the library that are not on the device?

I'm hoping to be able to ditch the Sony software in favour of Calibre, which is much nicer, but I tend to add books to my library over a few days, then when I connect the reader I can't remember which ones I've added.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just send all the books to the device. If a book is already there it will be overwritten.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
just send all the books to the device. If a book is already there it will be overwritten.
That would do the job. A true synchronisation option would be quicker than resending all the books, particuarly for a large SD card containing a lot of books, I suspect that won't be an issue in practice.

/JB
Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem with a true synchronization option is that timestamps on the reader are not very reliable (the readers internal clock needs frequent resetting) and also once your library becomes large having a lot of books on the reader makes it very difficult to navigate.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

If Calibre was allowed to assume that it had exclusive control over the reader, then it wouldn't need to look at the reader timestamps - it would already know what versions of what files were on the reader because it put them there.

Obviously, this would all fall down in a huge way if Calibre wasn't the only means used to manupulate files on the reader, but the assumption might work for some.

/JB
Advert