Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Not sure where to post a wishlist idea

Adding one single book several times made me wish for a way to add a single book to calibre from the explorer menu (in windows 7 and 8). I know there should be an easy way to do this but don't have the skill to do it
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Adding one single book several times made me wish for a way to add a single book to calibre from the explorer menu (in windows 7 and 8). I know there should be an easy way to do this but don't have the skill to do it
Easy-Peasy

Create a new 'file association' (if it is not there) to calibre.exe in the Explorer 'Open With' menu

BE CAREFUL and NOT click the Always use this box while making the association to possible programs. Ticking the box make double click: ALWAYS add to Library
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can also use the Send To menu. In fact, a custom batch script could send a book to calibre using the cli and thus possibly avoid opening calibre if it is not open.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Easy-Peasy

Create a new 'file association' (if it is not there) to calibre.exe in the Explorer 'Open With' menu

BE CAREFUL and NOT click the Always use this box while making the association to possible programs. Ticking the box make double click: ALWAYS add to Library
Argh, never thought of that. It is already in the list of files to open with... just not as handy as when it's an option but better than drag and drop. Thank you
Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can also use the Send To menu. In fact, a custom batch script could send a book to calibre using the cli and thus possibly avoid opening calibre if it is not open.
I do most 'ad-hoc' adds this way, has the advantage that one can send just about any file type, eg MP3, MOV etc - including .LNK files which are hard (impossible ?) to add using Open File dialogues.

Drag drop is notoriously inaccurate - source of many/most 'calibre/windows/amazon etc ate my library, books, music, videos etc' complaints,

You could also send the file to the Autoadd folder if you have one - add a shortcut to that folder into the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder.

Putting calibre.exe into a file associations sounds dodgy to me. It has to be done for each file type - whereas a short cut in the Send To is one thing for all file types. Also 2nd, 3rd uses on the same file potentially creates the situation where you'll have duplicates. I'm not sure, but there may even be a scenario that it will overwrite the file that's already in the library - possibly the file that you just spent half a day slaving over a hot ebook editor to get rid of the cruft.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Drag drop is notoriously inaccurate - source of many/most 'calibre/windows/amazon etc ate my library, books, music, videos etc' complaints,

BR
D&D Ate a whole XPpro

Don't try this at home (or work )

I slipped with the drop into the start Menu LIST and dropped onto the 'Start' button. It destroyed the ability to launch most programs. (I used a second system to recover User Data from the HD before doing a 'Fresh XPproinstall'
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What talent!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What talent!
whoda thunk it would happen
Probably why no trapping (Google could not find a solution. I must be unique )
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
LadyKate
Fanatic

LOL, I should create an autoadd directory. I normally add one or two files at a time by drag and drop but either my trackball is being "twitchy" or my hand is not as steady as it used to be.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
LOL, I should create an autoadd directory. I normally add one or two files at a time by drag and drop but either my trackball is being "twitchy" or my hand is not as steady as it used to be.
I have one of the 'Expert Mouse' that uses a cue-ball. I still need to regularly take a fine brush to the sides of the 'bearings' (that has stripes) to remove build up of lint (OK Cat hair).
Never again, will I buy one of those Marble ball Models. the rollers are prone to fouling and the springs too fragile to survive brushing.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
LadyKate
Fanatic

I clean the bearings regularly, at times it is like picking out a small piece of felt with a toothpick lol. This trackball is a few years old, old enough for the logo on it to have become a shadow. I've been using trackballs since the 90s when they first came out and can't imagine using a mouse. Having to use a flat surface to move my cursor would drive me batty. I got used to putting my keyboard on my lap to type and having the trackball beside me or on my knee or in my hand when wanting to move around using it.

Ah, the joys of cat hair, back when I was breeding colorpoint sh (siamese of another color) I had to clean it almost daily Those little shorthairs sure could shed and I used to have cats playing on my desk when I was at the computer.