Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Copyright notice wording

Some of the "don’t steal this" statements after the copyright notice sound a bit heavy-handed. I'm wondering if simplifying it to this would still cover the necessary bases:
"Copyright 2012 Eric Bergstrom. This ebook is licensed for personal use only, and may not be re-distributed. Thank you for respecting the livelihood of this author."
Any thoughts - legal or otherwise? Thanks.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I just use the simple text from Smashwords:

Quote:
This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you are reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please return to Smashwords.com and purchase your own copy. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.
and I have

Quote:
Copyright 2012 Vincent Trigili
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Reader reaction:

Smashwords sounds legalistic and is indeed too long. The part about returning and buying it again is, if you take it literally, bizarre.

Native's text reads well. However, like anything of its kind, it reminds the reader that piracy is possible.

If I was considering piracy, these kinds of reminders would cause pangs of regret. But since I'm anti-piracy, this means nothing.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-22-2012 at 06:31 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I personally think that 99% of readers do not even read the copyright page. Its there as a legal need, not for readers. I have had readers (who are members here even) ask me if I had any more books, when I have listed more books in both the beginning and end of the novel they read and claimed to love. Readers just seem to flip till they see the novel start, and read till it ends. So I have not spent much thought on the wording of it. I do not think anyone should. Use a boiler plate one, and move on.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd just stick with: "Copyright 2012 Eric Bergstrom"
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I personally think that 99% of readers do not even read the copyright page. Its there as a legal need, not for readers. I have had readers (who are members here even) ask me if I had any more books, when I have listed more books in both the beginning and end of the novel they read and claimed to love. Readers just seem to flip till they see the novel start, and read till it ends. So I have not spent much thought on the wording of it. I do not think anyone should. Use a boiler plate one, and move on.
Vydorscope, you've given me an idea! When I have my second and more books published, I'll have the "Other Books by the Author" page at the end rather than the beginning.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Vydorscope, you've given me an idea! When I have my second and more books published, I'll have the "Other Books by the Author" page at the end rather than the beginning.
Ha. Me too.
I never stop being amazed at how good readers (have to be if they read my work) don't read all the stuff I cram in. Notes. Map legends. Character references. Chapter headings and explanations. Inspirations. Books published. Books coming. Book Links. Series.

One intelligent reader who seems to have read only book 2 of a multi-vol series expresses delight at a complicated mechanism I employed for the really intense fan, and shows real comprehension of the subtle underlying thread that runs in several diverse chapters, then writes something like "really great. Are you going to write any more books?"
I guess they didn't make the "vol 2 of xyz series" on the front cover big enough.

I've been very busy, but I had to comment on that!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Reader reaction:

Smashwords sounds legalistic and is indeed too long. The part about returning and buying it again is, if you take it literally, bizarre.
Especially since Smashwords won't let you re-buy something you've already bought, even if you bought it with a coupon or it was one of those pay what you like books and you underestimated how much it would be worth to you.

Everywhere other than Smashwords I just use (book title) Copyright © (year) by (name). All rights reserved.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Everywhere other than Smashwords I just use (book title) Copyright © (year) by (name). All rights reserved.
Yeah, I like that better. I too basically follow the Smashwords requirements, but the style runs counter to the way I want to write, and seems like a bad beginning for the occasional person who might actually read it. Thanks all.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I use this:

Copyright © 2012 Todd Young

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without the written permission of the copyright holder.

I think you're supposed to say "all rights reserved."
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Young View Post
I use this:

Copyright © 2012 Todd Young

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without the written permission of the copyright holder.

I think you're supposed to say "all rights reserved."
"All rights reserved" is not required.

And saying "no part may be copied in any manner whatsoever" sounds like you don't allow reviewers to quote a few sentences.

Written permission is not legally required to use copyrighted material, although that may be a warning for "if you didn't get written permission even though I told you you could use it, I might sue you anyway."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote