Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Do you read nonfiction? If you do, I highly recommend Come from Away, by David Macfarlane. It's the history of Newfoundland seen through the prism of the author's family history, with a particular focus on the Great War.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
There is a one week initiation process. Strip to your skivies, take a picture, and make it your avatar.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #78
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Nova Scotia rather than Newfoundland - have people read "No Great Mischief" by Alistair MacLeod. A haunting, heartbreaking book, but quite wonderful.

Equally haunting and wonderful: "Le Testament Francais" by Andrei Makine.

And finally, I want to put in a good word for Iris Murdoch. I think my favourite is "The Black Prince" - one of those books you think you understand until you realise eventually that you had understood nothing.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #79
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Go confirm Hamlet53's selection for November!

ETA: Seriously, since you asked, all are welcome; just jump in. Go to the Book Club subforum (link above) and youll find the threads relating to the literary book club. And while you're there, confirm the book for November.
This thread is now a part of the Book Club Subsection.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #80
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
This thread is now a part of the Book Club Subsection.
Good idea. This is the first time I've seen it and it looks interesting. I note that the wonderful Literary Book Club had its genesis here.

I've been reading Paradise Lost again. Those first two books--especially Book One--can almost be read as stand-alones. Phenomenal!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #81
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Do you read nonfiction? If you do, I highly recommend Come from Away, by David Macfarlane. It's the history of Newfoundland seen through the prism of the author's family history, with a particular focus on the Great War.
I read nonfiction, but not in the history realm. I usually stick to science and parenting. I'll have to check it out. I've put Steffler's The Grey Islands on my list to read and it's a recount of life lived on the islands in the NorthWest part of the province.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #82
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Here's a question for you: Do you think that a consensus of opinion has any role in assessing the quality or effectiveness of a work of fiction?

I would argue that consensus is virtually meaningless whether the work is consigned to literary or genre (and both cross over, as the centuries have taught us). Perhaps the idea is not to agree on a book's merits but to discuss them.

If there is no absolute taste, then perhaps the point of talking about books is to become more conscious of their complexities, more awake to the levels of awareness, style, characterization and sense of form they offer.

The point, I think, is to sharpen one's own tool set and avoid being told how to feel or think, avoid being conditioned to react to the attempt.

I've read stunningly well-argued essays on the worthlessness of novels I absolutely love, and walked away feeling even greater certainty, greater clarity of mind, about my conclusions precisely because the opposition laid theirs out so carefully.

I've read quite often on these forums that some people feel Flaubert is boring. No offense to them, but I find him to be exciting: He's a male writer who made a concerted effort to understand what it was like to be each of his main characters, most notably women, and his success absolutely floors me in an age when you're only supposed to write from your own experience.

Bovary and A Simple Heart, as boring as they might be to some, taught me more about becoming one's female characters than a stack of fast-paced adventure novels ever did. And I don't find those stories boring at all: I can see the research Flaubert must have had to absorb to write from the points of view of his characters.

In order to write Bouvard and Pecuchet -- which he didn't even finish -- he read something like two hundred books so that he could write precisely about every wrong turn into ignorance his characters happened to take. Same with Huysmans and A Rebour. Same with George Eliot, master of the mercurial point of view. She can become absolutely anyone, it seems.

Why do I care about this? Because my mother taught Shakespeare, and his ability to become his characters meant tons to me. Because I admired John Keats beyond reason and was altered permanently by his letter to a friend, in which he outlined his idea of Negative Capability: The ability to step outside oneself and become the people in the forest, the forest itself, the day moth fluttering downward to its death, the soldiers rallying to die, the gods and angels mating among tangles of cloud-rags overhead.

It's not boring, friends. It's absolutely thrilling.

I lost track of the name of the MR member above who said he found Ulysses slightly boring. I don't share that opinion, but I think it's an interesting one. Here's the question I'd like to ask of that member (and I mean it in the friendliest way possible): If you'd had the power to tell Joyce how to revise Ulysses, what would you have told him to do to make the book less boring?

Ulysses is a book that has to fascinate the reader in terms of associations, wordplay, puns in several languages, allusion, music and linguistics -- all interlock, interweave, move independently, like counterpoint that bristles and climbs into lyricism en masse, but also like a complex overlay that becomes the focus even more than the narrative. The framework is there -- classical allusion and its mock-epic translation into a day in the life -- but like story in an Argento flick, it is not the artist's main concern. If you like Joyce's mix, then I say enjoy it without feeling like a snob. If not, then read something else without feeling like a leper.

A lighter and wittier writer with Joycean moments might be Flann O'Brien (a/k/a Brian O'Nolan). See if you like or prefer his At Swim-Two Birds.

Things I've been reading lately: Virginia Woolf in MR member Pynch's gorgeous new epub version; James's The Bostonian; Raymond Roussel's New Adventures of Africa (doesn't quite work as an e-book yet -- too complicated typographically!); Clarice Lispector's The Hour of the Star; Gissing's New Grub Street (reputed to be the truest novel ever written about the life of an author).

This along with the less-literary: Thomas Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco, Bertrand Russell's Mysticism and Logic, Samuel Delany's new novel Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders (which I'm reading because our magazine is publishing its missing chapter in our next issue).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-20-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #83
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
So, does anyone have any new literary books they'd like to recommend or talk about?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #84
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Did I not cite enough books for you in my last post? I mentioned at least thirteen by name, and I recommend each one to the reader who's looking for the kind of experiences I tried to outline.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #85
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Yours were great (and I'm currently reading Ulysses), but they were from over half a year ago. I was wondering if anyone (including you ) has read anything recently they'd like to recommend or talk about.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-21-2012 at 12:56 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #86
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a couple which I felt had a literary slant to them. On the surface they seem like genre fiction, but in reading them I found they were poetic enough or multi-layered enough to make me want to use the "literary" tag.

The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A A Logan. This was an indie work and as long as you don't mind a grim (rather depressing) story, I found it to be quite excellent. It's certainly one of the books that I keep thinking back upon from this year's reading which has to be a good sign.

Martuk ... the Holy by Jonathan Winn. I might be out of limb for this one - blinded by my own reaction to it. I thought its language was poetic in a visceral way. I liked this authors use of words to elicit gut reactions from me. It's also not a particularly pleasant book. But what can I say - I'm drawn to the darker side of story telling.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote