Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
Killed my PB360 in a heroic selfless act

Thats what happens to a PB360, when you sit in the kindergarden, read a book, while a mother leaves her child unattended in (but strapped into) a buggy, it gets nervous, topples over backwards, you try to catch it and simultaneously throw your PB360 some 4-5 meters against the next wall in the process.

Summed up, a child without headache costs about 200-250€

Salute!

If I were bold, i could read half the page in landscape and the other part 180 deg. rotated lanscape, But i'm not

Now i ordered a K3 because its cheap and the new PB series are not yet out. Yeah i know.. shame on me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grmbl.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	58764  
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wongdong View Post
Thats what happens to a PB360, when you sit in the kindergarden, read a book, while a mother leaves her child unattended in (but strapped into) a buggy, it gets nervous, topples over backwards, you try to catch it and simultaneously throw your PB360 some 4-5 meters against the next wall in the process.

Summed up, a child without headache costs about 200-250€

Salute!

If I were bold, i could read half the page in landscape and the other part 180 deg. rotated lanscape, But i'm not

Now i ordered a K3 because its cheap and the new PB series are not yet out. Yeah i know.. shame on me...
Ouch indeed!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Is that actually a cracked screen? It seems very uniform to me and from memory all the cracked screens were very jagged in appearance with diagonal splits.

Could there be no other explanation for this?
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
wongdong
Connoisseur

Nope, the screen itself is actually whole.

What is "broken" seems to be every second line of one half of the screen. So I guess the impact caused some kind of lost contact for the display connector. Anyways, sending it to be repaired and paying the repair itself will probably cost more than a new kindle.

Thanks for the sympathies though

And btw.: I'll buy one of the new pocketbooks anyways once the come out (nad have a good screen) and resell my K3. Once you learned the value of the pocketbook software (foldermanagement, openness, fbreader, background images, fonts etc..) there is now way of turning back IMHO ;-)

Last edited by wongdong; 09-25-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This looks like a problem with the display controller. Since the screen is not actually broken, why not contact PB and find out what they can do about this. Does the case look damaged at all? If not, just mention the screen and not the aerial acrobatics.

Another thing you could do is tell that mother just what happened and get her to help you pay for the damage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
wongdong
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does the case look damaged at all? If not, just mention the screen and not the aerial acrobatics.
Yeah... can't do that I'm pretty sure they would give me a new device if I sent it back, but the fact remains that the device was crashed by me. I simply can't blame the company for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another thing you could do is tell that mother just what happened and get her to help you pay for the damage.
Yepp, tahts what i WILL do At least ask her to tell her insurance company. If not.. well, I would've bought the new PB 90x anyways ;-)
Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
Right after reading your post I took my reader and attached it an old wrist lash from the photo camera. I always felt nervous when holding my device in crowded places and I couldn't get a good grip.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I still use the good old wrist lash as well!)) It's specially good in NYC's subway)))
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote