Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
find and remove zero size .epub files?

MacOS

At some point many months ago, I was converting .epub files to .pdb files -- which I read old Palm OS PDA -- and while I ended up with perfectly usable .pdb files, I also ended up with zero length .epub files.

I've just noticed the problem, because I was cleaning up the library (a total of over 3000 files, of which probably 300 or so have these zero length .epub files).

Yeah, the backups are the same. I don't use .epub except for converting to .pdb so hadn't noticed.

Can I find, and remove, the zero length .epub files in some way?

It's perfectly easy to see them with MacOS -- but I realize I shouldn't let the OS remove them. Or can I, and have Calibre forget about them or rebuild its record?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Or can I, and have Calibre forget about them or rebuild its record?
You could do that and run Check Library afterwards and have it remove the missing formats, but there is an easier way: 'size:=0K and formats:epub' should find them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
hank
Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
'size:=0K and formats:epub' should find them.
Pasting exactly that string as quoted into the search box finds nothing.
Using just 'formats:epub' does find all the books that include any epub.

Am I missing something about doing this in a sequence of steps?
Or, can anyone test this?
I'm one version behind, I'll update Calibre and try it again.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre still thinks they are the right size. Use the Quality Check plugin to disabuse it of that notion -- there is an option to fix incorrect format filesizes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If these were small to begin with, the displayed value might just be rounding to 0
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Also, if the book has more than one format, "size" is useless for this test. You would need to make a custom column built from other columns and populate it with the real file size for the epub using the formats_sizes() function.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
hank
Dinosaur

> 'size:=0K and formats:epub' should find them
Is that definitely the case, that search _should_ work? (under Mac OSX).
Because if that's broken somehow, I don't know what else I should mistrust about files.

Fix file size finds there are no file size problems.
Mac OS also sees these as zero size files.
(TextEdit sees them as blank pages too)

These did have measured file size info before I converted to get the .pdb files
I do suspect something during conversion trashed them.
Trying to open them with Mac OS 'get info' also shows zero size.

But I really don't need these .epub files now.
The .pdb files created from them do work fine and haven't lost any text.

And whatever the problem was that got the zero size files hasn't continued to happen. These are many months old.

I'd be happy to throw away the zero size .epub files.

Can I do that without opening all of several hundred book folders to find them and then closing the folder and using the "remove format" option one folder at a time.
What's the best way to do that?

How about using OSX to remove the zero size .epub files, then rebuilding the library, as suggested in the first response above?

Last edited by hank; 06-19-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
hank
Dinosaur

PS, I did get eight "OS artifacts" like these:
ERROR parsing book: /Users/hankrobots/Documents/Calibre-clean copy/Mark Twain/On the Decay of the Art of Lying (698)/On the Decay of the Art of Lying - Mark Twain.epub
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_epub", line 733, in evaluate_book
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 751, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 786, in _GetContents
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 801, in _RealGetContents
BadZipfile: File is not a zip file

ERROR parsing book: /Users/hankrobots/Documents/Calibre-clean copy/Thomas Paine/Atheism refuted_ in a discourse to prove the existence of a God_ (1267)/Atheism refuted_ in a discourse to prove t - Thomas Paine.epub
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.quality_check.check_epub", line 733, in evaluate_book
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 751, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 786, in _GetContents
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 801, in _RealGetContents
BadZipfile: File is not a zip file

Last edited by hank; 06-20-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sure. In Terminal.app:
Code:
cd /Users/hankrobots/Documents/Calibre-clean\ copy/
find . -name *.epub -type f -empty -delete
Then do Library maintenance ==> Check library
Old 06-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
hank
Dinosaur

OK, checked that Terminal string without the -delete, verified it's finding the right things, and ran it with -delete and did Check Library

> Check Library
I've told it to ignore file extension .DS_Store, and name .DS_Store
Check Library is reporting fourteen "unknown files in books" that are all .../.DS_Store
any problem with these?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
hank
Dinosaur

Hm, either that Terminal search missed some, or I've got new zero size .epub files (dated two days ago on the timestamp, apparently it missed some.

Odd.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #12
hank
Dinosaur

Now I have dozens again, all dated new since I cleaned them out and cleaned the library.
Is there some reason Calibre for OSX would be creating blank .epub files, maybe using empty files as placeholders or something?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

No.

Are these books that used to exist as EPUBs, or are they books that didn't have EPUBs yesterday?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #14
hank
Dinosaur

These are books that I added as .epub files -- and two older copies of the library still have most of them with contents. I copy the whole library from time to time to back it up. I've just checked four different copies made over the past several weeks. For a given book, in some cases none of the .epub files have any content. Even the oldest of the four libraries has some zero size files as .epub. The newer ones have more of those files gone to zero size. And the newest has half a dozen .pdb files zero size.

Termites?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #15
hank
Dinosaur

I'm recovering some of the .epub books by moving the good copy forward to the latest library. That seems to be holding up so far.

I do find scattered blog posts over the last few years where people did get zero size files in Calibre for one reason or another (or, mostly, no known reason I can find). So it may be either misreading one of the instructions and doing something I should know better not to do -- or some rare bug not understood.

Dunno.

Oh, and there's no case I've found where a file that lacked an .epub acquired an empty .epub file (or any .epub file) spontaneously, if that's what you asked above.

Tags
epub zero-size