Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Bug or Feature?

Found this by accident, but it's repeatable.

On Xubuntu 10.04, 64-bit: launch Calibre -- hit a key (or hold one down) as the window appears. The first book in the list is renamed to whatever you've typed, as if you've hit F2 (but you haven't.)
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Found this by accident, but it's repeatable.

On Xubuntu 10.04, 64-bit: launch Calibre -- hit a key (or hold one down) as the window appears. The first book in the list is renamed to whatever you've typed, as if you've hit F2 (but you haven't.)
Bug or feature, I don't know, (Windows XP sp3 32bit) but it happens whenever you have any book selected and hit a key that isn't a shortcut. If you select a book by clicking the author field then the author field is momentarily disrupted. Hitting escape pulls you out of the edit. I've tripped over it once or twice and didn't give it a second thought.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you type non shortcut keys while the book list is selected, they are interpreted as typing and the GUI opens an editor. On my linux system, F2 is apparently the shortcut for opening the editor. As you can see if you press F2 once calibre has finished starting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

So it's an intended feature.

Not what I expect, personally. It makes the metadata vulnerable (I had to retype my title), and it's only useful as long as your edit involves a non-shortcut key.

I would expect that there was a shortcut to open the metadata editor, as there is, but not for a line selected to be edited simply by pressing a key (which might happen accidentally with some frequency.)

I'd expect a shortcut key to select the line/column and cycle through them, then for any additional key to begin editing. And I'd expect that shortcut key to be non-alphanumeric.

Or, perhaps, if any non-shortcut key opens the first column for editing, that it not replace the text until the next keypress -- this would allow you to press TAB to cycle through the columns (which is how it currently works.)

$0.02
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Not what I expect, personally. It makes the metadata vulnerable (I had to retype my title), and it's only useful as long as your edit involves a non-shortcut key.
I can't speak to your OS but in Windows instead of retyping the title I just escape out of it and everything is as it was.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
capidamonte

Not at boot. I can escape if I do it accidentally from the keyboard, but if you do it while booting it just gets changed.

It's still weird, even if you can back out.