Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
gk31
gk31 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone / iPad/ Kindle
Angry Bricked In

My KT was updated to the latest 5.1.2 fw, running jbpatch 2.2.1, kindlet, and jailbreak 1.2. The screen would freeze and stay stuck on screensaver, or even during regular use. I got it out by rebooting most of the time, or connecting to usb and disconnecting, but after a few times it just BRICKED.
The last time my KT worked was after a fastboot flash of kernel and main images, whereupon the screensaver just froze in place. After entering and exiting diagnostic succesfully the screen froze again, and wouldn't make it past the tree screen. I'm now at attempt to debrick #5 - the KT is stuck on a diagnostic screen after trying to flash the main partition - it just won't reboot.
I'm using the n00b's guide to debricking v3 (from here). I followed the instructions to the T.
The last attempt was with 5.1.0 images: kernel 5.1.0, mmcblk0p1 5.1.0, diags mmcblk0p2 5.1.0 (here).
I got the KT in diagnostic mode using fastboot (now after 5 attempts and counting - i think something may be corrupted).
Typed: fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img then
fastboot flash kernel kernel-5.1.0.img then
fastboot setvar bootmode diags
fastboot reboot

The device entered Diagnostic mode succesfully. Entered usb drive mode, copied mmcblk0p1 5.1.0 to it.
Got it to be Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget, connected via putty no problems.
Typed: dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K after a while it finished no problems. Then: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K told me something like no room to write or something...not sure exactly.
Typed: rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS gave me this error:
rm: can’t remove ‘/mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS’: No such file or directory.
Then typed idme -d --bootmode and then main
reboot
. No respone from KT - still frozen. Help anyone?
I seem to be missing a crucial step somehow. If so, I lack the diags_kernel of 5.1 if someone could provide me with the link.
Also I wanted to try and flash to 5.0.0 but I am unable to procure the 5.0.0 mmcblk0p1 img, because github is down. If someone can provide that image, I will try with 5.0.0 and provide feedback.
Thanks all.
I first posted in the jbpatch thread saying the patch was crashing my KT, but even after I uninstalled it, it crashed and Bricked. Here is the link to my original post, and i would like to apologize if i insinuated that the jbpatch crashed my device. Most likely it didn't.

Last edited by gk31; 08-15-2012 at 08:48 AM.
gk31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Use this combination of kernels and images:
- diags (these can both be flashed from fastboot):
diags_kernel 5.0.0 (the ge.tt one)
mmcblk0p2_ssh 5.0.1 (the ge.tt one)
- main:
main kernel 5.1.2 (make sure to flash it from fastboot!)
either of the "mmcblk0p1 5.1.2" images (must be dd'ed from diags). The first is pristine, the second already includes Jailbreak, Kindlet Jailbreak, and SSH.

The procedure you took looks *almost* correct to me, except that you need to flash *both* kernels to the correct respective location, and the diags image as well.

The final commands to execute in diags are
"idme -d --bootmode main", then "reboot", not "idme -d --bootmode", then "main reboot". But that probably just was a typo on your part.

The images and kernels I mentioned above are guaranteed to work. I debricked my device several times with them (in fact, I am the one who created the 5.1.2 image and kernel).

PS: Your description looks like you either flashed a broken main kernel, or a wrong one. (Yes, there are "known broken" kernels in the list! The 5.1.2 is "known good", though). Thus, make sure to flash the correct main kernel to the correct location! This is probably the step that you did wrong so far.
PPS: You don't need to re-flash the diags kernel and image over and over. As soon as diags works and you can access it with SSH, you can leave the diags parts of the device alone, and focus on the main kernel and image.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-15-2012 at 09:17 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
gk31

thank you! will post an update once I get home and to my kindle.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
2 possible issues:

1. Did you follow step 8) of the guide? Erasing your /var/local partition? A full /var/local has weird consequences.

2. Do you have a directory "fonts" in the user mountable folder (/mnt/us/fonts)? If yes either rename it or install this version of libfreetype: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91#post1998991

Your brick sounds like the one I had, USB-mounting worked but it was flaky. Since 5.1.0 the KT scans /mnt/us/fonts for fonts and if you have a font that makes the buggy amazon-supplied libfreetype crash -> semi-brick.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
gk31

well, now my kt won't even go in for fastboot, the connection via usb to the device resets after 5 seconds and then my pc doesn't even see the device as connected.
i did follow step 8, and in so far as i know - i don't have fonts folder on my kindle. I'll let the kindle charge for 2 days, and try again then. Thanks for the help.
Advert

Tags
5.1.0, brick, kindle touch