Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Link to K2 2.5 update bin?

Anyone got a link to the bins for the 2.5 update for Kindle 2? Somebody share!
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
I have been looking for it for the last 2 days with no sucess..
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post

From the Amazon site:
Quote:
Kindle Version 2.5 Overview

The 2.5 software update for Kindle and Kindle DX is coming soon. We are rolling out the new software update to a limited group of Kindle users and plan a broad release in late May 2010. Check back here for updates on the release schedule.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
From the Amazon site:

Yeah, we KNOW that, but some people managed to grab the 2.5 bins before they updated- those of the chosen few to receive it first as beta. We're hoping one of those people will have mercy and post here with bins for the US k2 and dx.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
And I second all this saying we need also the k2i .bin
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
And I second all this saying we need also the k2i .bin
Yep, it is Amazon's official line that is doing our heads in.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
I think I'll wait for the late May build. God knows I would chew through the back of my head if I was stuck in an airport and my Kindle was buggy / unusable.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
dubmehard
dubmehard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm still searching for the bin too, since the first news from amazon.

kindle 2 intl.
dubmehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
lopez
lopez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
i'm also looking for bin file to k2i. there are bunch of DXi but no luck with k2i ?strange..
lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Still havent found it
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
If anyone does get the update automatically over the air and doesn't have a chance to catch the .bin file before it is automatically installed, it's pretty easy to get it back so that you can share the wealth.

All you have to do is run a file recovery program "Recuva" by Piriform works best. When you get the automatic update over the air, the .bin file is downloaded to the root of your kindle and when the update is installed, the .bin file is automatically deleted.

With any file system when things are deleted they are never truly gone until the physical location on the drive has another file written over it. When you delete something, the system just deflags that file location and file name, saying there is nothing here, feel free to put any new files at this location. Until that happens, you can run file recovery programs with a fair chance of recovering it.

In short, if someone gets the update for Kindle 2, DX, or Kindle 2 International, dl Recuva for free, snag the recovered .bin file (if you're not sure, snag all files with .bin at the end) as soon as possible so that location doesn't accidentally get a file placed on top of it.

If you can't figure it out, get in touch with me and I'll walk you through it and then post it up here for everyone else to enjoy.
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
I'm peeing myself
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll post this on the Kindleboards forum and see if I get any luck there. Unfortunately many aren't as tecchy savvy as the people like you are though. Do you know someone on kindleboards had the hacks on, and saw that the update was downloading, quickly removed the hacks, and then the download to 2.5 proceeded. I think it was a K2. They might help out here. I know of an Aussie who has it, which makes theirs a K2I.

Last edited by Pushka; 05-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I'll post this on the Kindleboards forum and see if I get any luck there. Unfortunately many aren't as tecchy savvy as the people like you are though. Do you know someone on kindleboards had the hacks on, and saw that the update was downloading, quickly removed the hacks, and then the download to 2.5 proceeded. I think it was a K2. They might help out here. I know of an Aussie who has it, which makes theirs a K2I.
Hopefully a K2i, but either way, I wouldn't be opposed to helping someone get the K2us firmware out there.

For me, recovering a file with Recuva is about as easy as opening a word document, so hopefully I can convey that idea out to whoever is lucky enough to get the update
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTToxic View Post
For me, recovering a file with Recuva is about as easy as opening a word document, so hopefully I can convey that idea out to whoever is lucky enough to get the update
Ok, I might amend my thread to make it sound reeeaaallly easy.