Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Best way to care for/honour a special p-book?

My grandparents are in poor health and my 86-year-old grandfather has decided recently to put his 'affairs' in order. I was asked (along with my cousins) if there was anything special we wanted from their house before my mother and aunts start going through it---I suspect most of it will be trashed as their furniture was bought in the 1920s along with the house and my grandfather is a bit of a hoarder and has a lot of junk. My mother said he specifically told her he would be happy to know that his grandkids got some special things and will enjoy them.

I am not really a 'thing' person, but the one really strong memory I have is sleeping over at their house when I was very young and my grandmother reading to me from a certain book ('Now we are Six' by A.A. Milne). I have decided that this is the item I want from their house and I have been told to please help myself to it the next time I am over there.

So, what do I do with it once I have it? Is there a way to display such a thing, assuming I am treating it not so much as a 'book I want to sit down and read' but as a memento from my grandmother, whose relationship I treasure? Ideally, I think I would like some sort of shadow box type thing where I could sort of frame the book and perhaps hang it on the wall, but it would be removable easily if I wanted to occasionally take the book out and show it to someone. It is very fragile (this book is probably 40 years old or more) so if the display method would somehow help protect/preserve it, excellent. Ideas?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
So, what do I do with it once I have it? Is there a way to display such a thing, assuming I am treating it not so much as a 'book I want to sit down and read' but as a memento from my grandmother, whose relationship I treasure? Ideally, I think I would like some sort of shadow box type thing where I could sort of frame the book and perhaps hang it on the wall, but it would be removable easily if I wanted to occasionally take the book out and show it to someone. It is very fragile (this book is probably 40 years old or more) so if the display method would somehow help protect/preserve it, excellent. Ideas?
40 years is nothing for a well-made book that has been stored reasonably. If it is already very fragile, then it wasn't printed on acid free paper, and will get worse unless you have it professionally preserved. don't know how much money you are willing to put into something like that.

http://www.ptlp.com/deacid.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
I guess you could get a medicine cabinate and swap out the mirror for a see through glass thing, but if your putting it on the wall be sure to keep it away from the sunlight.
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote