Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #121
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Let's be patient.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...rper-than-ipad

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...-fatal-mistake

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-surf...st-7000006002/
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #122
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Man, you can say what you want,
I'm all for the hardware, if it lasted a while on a battery charge, but I'm totally not for the operating system!

Give me XP over anything else.
Many have seen that windows 7 probably uses only 25% more resources than xp, while the hardware has sped up by over 2-4x, and they found it acceptable, but windows 8 is really not a nice version to be working with...
It's a step backward, back on the same level as Windows 3.11 if you ask me!
Almost no control, no flexibility, runs slow on those slower tablet processors, is too large in size for an OS; and most of the time, the OS is not even able to do what you want to do, and if it does it, it won't do it very well, nor very fast!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #123
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Man, you can say what you want,
I'm all for the hardware, if it lasted a while on a battery charge, but I'm totally not for the operating system!

Give me XP over anything else.
Many have seen that windows 7 probably uses only 25% more resources than xp, while the hardware has sped up by over 2-4x, and they found it acceptable, but windows 8 is really not a nice version to be working with...
Almost no control, no flexibility, runs slow on those slower tablet processors, is too large in size for an OS; and most of the time, the OS is not even able to do what you want to do, and if it does it, it won't do it very well, nor very fast!
Wow! Yep, I remember the good old XP days... I'm an architectural designer, using very demanding 3d applications (Autodesk Revit), thank god XP is gone in our neighborhood! It can't hold a candle to 7, but I do miss those daily crashes, blue screens, etc. If it weren't for windows update, I wouldn't have to reboot at all.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #124
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post

I have used and worked on DOS and Windows based PCs. I think Windows 8 is fast. Boots up on my old Pentium 4 PC in less than 30 seconds. IE10 is a vast improvement over IE9. I hardly use IE9 opting for Google Chrome instead. For the average PC owner Windows 8 simplifies the use of their PC. The Metro interface kind of grows on you once you use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by lack of control because everything is there and very accessible. If you press the Windows key + X you can go under the hood of Windows 8. For those missing the old desktop, it's there. Missing the Start Menu, download Start8 by Stardock.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #125
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Windows 8 hasn't launched yet and there's already dozens of *free* start Button replacements. Some are even good.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...for-windows-8/

Think of them as bicycle training wheels, useful to get started but they'll soon come off for good.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #126
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
On my Windows tablet, 7 took forever to boot. From a full off, it boots the Windows 8 consumer preview in about 15 seconds.

Just timed my iPad 3; I get to stare at the apple for 49 seconds from full off. Never been impressed by the boot time of Apple's mobile devices.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #127
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
On my Windows tablet, 7 took forever to boot. From a full off, it boots the Windows 8 consumer preview in about 15 seconds.

Just timed my iPad 3; I get to stare at the apple for 49 seconds from full off. Never been impressed by the boot time of Apple's mobile devices.
Yeah, just that you hardly ever need to reboot the iPad, while Win 7 forces you to reboot ever so often, if that's any indication of Win 8. I've had my iPad 1 from the day it became available until I got the iPad 3 on launch date (is that about 2 years?) and rebooted it maybe 3 or 4 times during that time frame, with daily extensive use.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #128
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Why would you ever boot it?
Start time from sleeping is ~0 seconds.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #129
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Why would you ever boot it?
Start time from sleeping is ~0 seconds.
Agreed. I've only had to reboot my iOS devices about once or twice (it's older stuff, iOs 4). My android devices (range from gingerbread to ICS) all benefit from a daily "booting", and take 30-60 secs. Win7 laptop takes a (perceived) etenity come to life.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #130
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Agreed. I've only had to reboot my iOS devices about once or twice (it's older stuff, iOs 4). My android devices (range from gingerbread to ICS) all benefit from a daily "booting", and take 30-60 secs. Win7 laptop takes a (perceived) etenity come to life.
Just comparing apples to apples (no pun intended). I can't compare my tablet with 8 on it, because it's at home and I'm at work, but I just woke my Windows 7 laptop from sleep, and it took a grand total of 5 seconds. Is five seconds more than "0 seconds"? Yes. Is 5 seconds unreasonable? No.

Especially if it comes with the benefits of a full operating system.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #131
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just comparing apples to apples (no pun intended). I can't compare my tablet with 8 on it, because it's at home and I'm at work, but I just woke my Windows 7 laptop from sleep, and it took a grand total of 5 seconds. Is five seconds more than "0 seconds"? Yes. Is 5 seconds unreasonable? No.
I'd agree, my Win7 laptop wakes up very speedily as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #132
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I never understood - using the "hibernate" (or "suspend-to-disk") mode on my XP laptop as "normal" procedure that saves the current RAM contents to harddisk and retrieves them again in ~ 15 seconds, why nobody has, so far, incorporated that into booting ... writing a copy of a "clean boot" RAM to harddisk and load that instead of going through the complete boot procedure.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #133
hrosvit
Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
...all benefit from a daily "booting"
At some point during the day, I want to "boot" most of my devices, also.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #134
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
At some point during the day, I want to "boot" most of my devices, also.
Running start or drop kick?
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #135
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I never understood - using the "hibernate" (or "suspend-to-disk") mode on my XP laptop as "normal" procedure that saves the current RAM contents to harddisk and retrieves them again in ~ 15 seconds, why nobody has, so far, incorporated that into booting ... writing a copy of a "clean boot" RAM to harddisk and load that instead of going through the complete boot procedure.
It would need to change every time you installed a driver or start-up program or changed some settings.