Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
gstephen70
gstephen70 doesn't littergstephen70 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Nice silicone skin for the 950 - check it out

As I am unable to find the original Sony cover for the 950, like the one I had for the 600 that popped into the holes on the top and bottom, I opted to try a silicone skin. Paid $19.95. Fit and finish 9/10. Would have given it a 10 except any silicone will pick up a lot of lint. Other than that, it's great. Cuts down on glare from the silver case. And I also bought a Verso light. A great little light.

Let me know if you'd like pics or links and I would be happy to oblige.
gstephen70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I have this skin on my 950. Paid $5 extra for the matte finish, and wrestled with the resolution of the wallpaper a bit before it would show up, but it's all set now and looks very nice. No glare at all
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
gstephen70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I have this skin on my 950. Paid $5 extra for the matte finish, and wrestled with the resolution of the wallpaper a bit before it would show up, but it's all set now and looks very nice. No glare at all
Very nice freak,

I was gonna go with a decal from DecalGirl but I decided to go with the silicone instead. Only $9.99 from here. And it feels grippy which I like.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Like the texture, but not the little blue hands on the lower right corner. The black one also seems to be out of stock, and my trouble with the clear version is that I prefer to darken the silver body so as not to distract from the page. Darkening the body is the only reason I need a skin.

I do wish my Decal Girl skin were grippy, but its thinness is necessary for compatability with my cover.

Did you know the discontinued Kindle 2 Platform Jacket fits the 950 perfectly and was onsale at M-Edge for $15-24 until the past few weeks? The deal was so good I now own three in different colors. None obstruct the buttons, all fit my 950 snugly, all are real leather and two are textured in ways that should age rather nicely. Saner heads tell me to sell one of the three -- and not at a profit -- to a mobileread member who missed out. I'll do so the day some member contacts me, but I could easily keep them all and have fun switching from day to day.

I always get compliments on them when I do public readings (since I now use the 950 instead of physical books and manuscripts).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-21-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
gstephen70

PDW,

Thanks for the input. I've sent you a PM regarding the Platform Jacket. And JSYK, the little blue hands are not embossed on the skin itself. Only on the website. I think it's a great way to protect the eReader and it helps cut the glare from the silver case of the 950.

G
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I have this case/skin as well. Great texture for gripping. Lint can accumulate, but a blast of compressed air works well or a slightly damp towel. I wonder if an occasional rubbing with a sheet of fabric softener would help?
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
I bought a thin skin for the same reasons Presti did. I needed something that would stop the horrible glare, and that would fit in my black fake-leather cover/case, that was already on order from eBay.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
I prefer TPU cases over silicon. Grippy and flexible and doesn't attract as much dust.
Unfortunately, I can't find any for the 950.
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstephen70 View Post
PDW, . . . I've sent you a PM regarding the Platform Jacket. And JSYK, the little blue hands are not embossed on the skin itself. Only on the website.
Thanks, GS, and got your message yesterday. Will respond tomorrow after work.

Thrilled to know the blue hands aren't really embossed on the skin. Set fire to sleeping biker's beard with hairspray blowtorch in the midst of the excitement.

(Having the superimposed graphic curve with the skin in the picture as if it were embossed seems a wee Hank odd.)
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Did you know the discontinued Kindle 2 Platform Jacket fits the 950 perfectly and was onsale at M-Edge for $15-24 until the past few weeks?
Thanks for the tip. I ordered a $15 "as-is" Platform Jacket this morning. Should go perfectly with a refurbed 950! And I figure the marbled leather will hide any imperfection.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
laitsabr
Daily Learner
laitsabr doesn't litterlaitsabr doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, 350, 300, 600(sold), 505(dead), Coby 7024
I just ordered the Otterbox Commuter case (SKU: SON4-PRS95-20-E4OTR). A little more expensive at $30 shipped, but wanted to compare with the $8 silicone case I have for my 350 (good but a lint magnet).
laitsabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Thanks for the "as-is" tip for finding the K2 Platform Jackets. I missed those while searching last night and wasn't looking forward to paying $48 on ebay.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laitsabr View Post
I just ordered the Otterbox Commuter case (SKU: SON4-PRS95-20-E4OTR). A little more expensive at $30 shipped, but wanted to compare with the $8 silicone case I have for my 350 (good but a lint magnet).
That Otterbox looks pretty nice. Can you update with your impressions after you've received it?
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Thanks for the "as-is" tip for finding the K2 Platform Jackets. I missed those while searching last night and wasn't looking forward to paying $48 on ebay.
You're welcome. $15 shipped; you can't beat it. Seriously, cover prices are insane.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
JuniperPearl
Enthusiast
JuniperPearl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire, iPhone 5, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjirlly View Post
Seconding this. Thank you! I desperately needed a new cover for my K2 and those are becoming hard to find! I have a Platform Jacket for my Sony and love it -- now I'll have one for my Kindle too!
JuniperPearl is offline   Reply With Quote