Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Majal Kita
Majal Kita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Issues sideloading books.

Hi guys! Long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I'm hoping somebody can help me out with my KT.

KT: Firmware ver. 2.0
Desktop App: Edition 3.0.1

I recently got an Amazon gift voucher, so I bought a bunch of ebooks from their store. After stripping the DRM and converting the books from .mobi to .epub, I tried to side load them onto my KT. (I'm still trying with the first one - let's get over this small hurdle before we tackle them in bulk.) The method that I'm using is: Finding the .epub file in my Calibre folder through Windows Explorer and then dragging and dropping it onto the Kobo desktop application.

The side loaded book goes to my Kobo Desktop application without any issues, but when I attemt to synchorinse my KT with the Desktop app via USB, the KT just doesn't receive the Amazon book. When I attempt to delete the book from Kobo Desktop, it crashes and aborts the program entirely, and the book remains when I load it again.

I'm really hoping that this is me just overlooking something very obvious.
Majal Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majal Kita View Post
KT: Firmware ver. 2.0
Desktop App: Edition 3.0.1

I recently got an Amazon gift voucher, so I bought a bunch of ebooks from their store. After stripping the DRM and converting the books from .mobi to .epub, I tried to side load them onto my KT. (I'm still trying with the first one - let's get over this small hurdle before we tackle them in bulk.) The method that I'm using is: Finding the .epub file in my Calibre folder through Windows Explorer and then dragging and dropping it onto the Kobo desktop application.
This method is completely new to me. Where in the Kobo application are you dropping it? I just tried with 3.0.0 and everywhere gave the "not allowed" icon. Hence dropping it didn't do anything so I couldn't get to the next step.

Quote:
The side loaded book goes to my Kobo Desktop application without any issues, but when I attemt to synchorinse my KT with the Desktop app via USB, the KT just doesn't receive the Amazon book. When I attempt to delete the book from Kobo Desktop, it crashes and aborts the program entirely, and the book remains when I load it again.

I'm really hoping that this is me just overlooking something very obvious.
As the book is already in calibre, just use it to send to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
Majal Kita

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This method is completely new to me. Where in the Kobo application are you dropping it? I just tried with 3.0.0 and everywhere gave the "not allowed" icon. Hence dropping it didn't do anything so I couldn't get to the next step.
The desktop icon.

Quote:
As the book is already in calibre, just use it to send to the device.
I read somewhere within this forum some time ago that this isn't possible with the KT. Has the issue been since resolved?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majal Kita View Post
The desktop icon.
Wow, that did ad it to the library. But, it didn't get sent to my Kobo Touch. And I can't see a way to delete it from the library.
Quote:
I read somewhere within this forum some time ago that this isn't possible with the KT. Has the issue been since resolved?
That is a furphy. About the time the 2.0.0 firmware was released a check and warning about on the database version on the Touch was added to calibre. No actual function was changed in the driver. Nor had then been any for many months. If you followed the instructions in the warning, everything would work the same.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
You could also drag it to the device's folder in explorer, rather than to the Desktop application.

I have had some issues with re-sending a new copy of a book that's already on the device through calibre, but it has always worked for just putting books on.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Majal Kita

Thank you both for clearing things up for me - I'll try both methods with a few Amazon books when I get back to my computer. Do either of you have any idea of how I can deal with the Amazon book "stuck" inside my desktop application?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And I can't see a way to delete it from the library.
Logout of Desktop and back into it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Majal Kita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Logout of Desktop and back into it.
I know that this was not directed at me, but I tried doing this to delete my own Amazon book from the Desktop application, and it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions for us to try?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Weird! When I tried loging out from Desktop (ie Account Icon on top right, and then Sign Out) it worked like a charm.

Sorry to say no other ideas
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Majal Kita

That's okay. it might well sort itself out in the next update.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I just logged out and back in and it did remove the epub.