Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
SarahL
SarahL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hi ... from New Hampshire

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and thought I'd stop by to see who the rest of you are, where you are from, and what readers you have. I have a Sony 505 and trying to learn more about best ways to use it.

I downloaded "calibre" and gave it a try and know I need to learn more.

I like to read but do not always have time, so the reader is great. I can bring it to work (I am a Special Ed teacher at our local high school) and read when I can.

It is also handy to have copies of the books my students have to read so I can keep up with their reading and help them with their studying.

Sarah
SarahL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Welcome Sarah!

I have a 505 as well (in red!!) and I love it!
Calibre is a great program.

Did you know you can get public library books
on your 505? That alone has made my 505 worth
the price.. hehe.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Sarah......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Sarah and welcome to Mobileread. I've had a 505 (blue) for over a year now and like it a lot!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
SarahL

Question AbFabGab -- plz share more info ... thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Welcome Sarah!

I have a 505 as well (in red!!) and I love it!
Calibre is a great program.

Did you know you can get public library books
on your 505? That alone has made my 505 worth
the price.. hehe.
I have the silver one (actually my husband and I each have a silver one). I did not know I can get books to load onto my 505 from our library. What do I search for when I look things up on their catalog?

Sarah
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sarah,

Start here:https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

I joined NY & DC libraries.
I got immediate access to DC.
NY, I had to wait for card to come by mail.

My local town library is set up differently.
It doesn't have a separate ebook/digital section
so I haven't investigated further yet.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
SarahL

AbFabGab,

Thank you for the link. I will check into checking them out.

Sarah
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I belong to the Fairfax library and have downloaded several books from them. You get to keep the book for 21 days.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I belong to the Fairfax library and have downloaded several books from them. You get to keep the book for 21 days.
What I love about having the 505 and using Adobe PDF
in the library is that I can return my borrowed books as
soon as I've read them. This way I'm not limited to the
amount of books I check out.

I re-read the downloading instructions and it said Adobe
books can be returned early while Mobi books cannot.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Looked on the Overdrive site and you may be out of luck living in New Hampshire. Seems most of the libraries there belong to a consortium that only uses audiobooks.

If you have relatives in other states they can usually get a library card that you can use. Otherwise, non-residents of New York can get a New York Public Library card for $100. NYPL has a very large selection of pdfs available for download.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster

btw: DC library was free for me and I'm not a resident.
It's not as big selection as NY but it's still good.