Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
My experience with Iliad tells me that it doesn't make sense to compare the device to laptops or tablet pc. Though iLiad and 1000sw does support wifi, the internet access is too unreliable and slow. I think 1000sw will not change that because eInk is not responsive enough for a convient browsing or emailing.

Still, iLiad and RD1000 will serve me for a single purpose: to read lots of long technical papers and books. I think that should be THE reason to buy this expensive device. Otherwise, you will be disappointed.
I did not say I wanted a browser. I listed 3 specific document handling activities that I want. I can perform those activities on a laptop without the need for the DR1000. I cannot perform them on the DR 1000 without a computer. This is a shortcoming, in my opinion.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I did not say I wanted a browser. I listed 3 specific document handling activities that I want. I can perform those activities on a laptop without the need for the DR1000. I cannot perform them on the DR 1000 without a computer. This is a shortcoming, in my opinion.
With the very greatest respect, Nate, the fact that a particular device doesn't do what you personally want is not a shortcoming in the device; it simply indicates that the device isn't suitable for your specific needs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #33
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the very greatest respect, Nate, the fact that a particular device doesn't do what you personally want is not a shortcoming in the device; it simply indicates that the device isn't suitable for your specific needs.
Exactly. What Nate's comparison basically says is that the DR1000 is not a laptop. He's right, but I didn't think it was supposed to be one.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Exactly. What Nate's comparison basically says is that the DR1000 is not a laptop. He's right, but I didn't think it was supposed to be one.
That is not at all what I said. Please do not put words in my mouth.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't get the impression that he's trying to put words in your mouth, Nate, so much as trying to summarize what it sounded to him like you were getting at.

It's just an attempt to make sure of understanding, I expect.

I, on the other hand, would summarize it that for the price, you're looking for more features than the DR is going to have, and that those features would mostly be filled by a laptop or tablet at a similar, if not lower price point.

Does that come closer to what you're saying?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is not at all what I said. Please do not put words in my mouth.
Isn't that basically what this means?

Quote:
I can perform those activities on a laptop without the need for the DR1000. I cannot perform them on the DR 1000 without a computer.
If not, then I'm misinterpreting you and/or summarizing poorly. But, it sounds to me like what you really are looking for is a laptop/tablet, not an ebook device. You are correct in that for your requirements, an ebook reader is not a stand alone device that is able to exist without the need for a supporting computer. But is it supposed to be?

I don't think ebook readers are meant to replace laptops. They fill a different need.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

That is a reasonable interpretation, but I think you took it out of context. I saw it as questioning the value of adding a $750 accessory to perform an activity that can be accomplished without the accessory. But that sentence could be interpreted both ways.

The viewpoint of your last two sentences raise an interesting point. Why do you (and a bunch of other people) see the DR1000 as _only_ an ebook reader? It seems like once the label was applied no one considered how capable the hardware really is. I see the DR1000 as a slate PC with a 10" Eink screen. I want Wifi on this slate PC so I can move PDFs & etc on and _off_ easier.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
The viewpoint of your last two sentences raise an interesting point. Why do you (and a bunch of other people) see the DR1000 as _only_ an ebook reader?
Because that's what it's being marketed as? I agree there is more potential there compared to other readers, and it's more of a general document reader and note taker, but it's not really meant to replace a laptop/tablet/slate PC either.

Quote:
It seems like once the label was applied no one considered how capable the hardware really is. I see the DR1000 as a slate PC with a 10" Eink screen. I want Wifi on this slate PC so I can move PDFs & etc on and _off_ easier.
The SW model does have Wifi, and sounds like it will do most of what you are asking for.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #39
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
The problem that devices have is that they do a bunch of stuff half @$$ed. I like that the ebooks are marketed as ebooks not as laptops or web browers or music devices or TVs or video players. Its silly.

If I want to listen to music I have an iPod that does a great job, if I want to watch a movie I watch it on my TV, if I want to surf the web I use my computer. I dont understand why people now want every device to do everything, I'd much rather have my iPod get 20 hours of music life than to get 2 hours because it jams a bunch of other useless stuff in there.

Wifi is pointless for an eBook reader, if you have an ebook reader you probably have a computer, if you dont then I feel very sorry for you. They need to strip these devices down and get the functionality working seamlessly and stop adding more stuff on. The more you add the more you can ignore core problems. Concentrate on speeding up boot time and page turns dont worry about web browsing.

People aren't not buying ebook readers because they can't watch TV on it, its because there isn't content regularly available and the devices are slow. Companies should concentrate on that and throw the bells and whistles on at the end. As Obama said about Palin, its like putting lipstick on a pig
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I see it more as an document handling appliance. As such, yeah, it's kinda pricey. However, if it fills the niche well enough, professional users will make it up in paper and toner right quick, real fast, and in a hurry.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #41
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The DR1000SW might eventually be able to function as a slate in the way Nate seems to want, but I think that will be after the SDK is released and the community has a chance to enhance the capabilities of the system. It doesn't look to me like iRex plans to invest a lot in the software functionality. (For example, they haven't bothered to provide a plugin to access MS documents in their viewer -- when that's probably the kind of document most people will want to read.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
The viewpoint of your last two sentences raise an interesting point. Why do you (and a bunch of other people) see the DR1000 as _only_ an ebook reader? It seems like once the label was applied no one considered how capable the hardware really is. I see the DR1000 as a slate PC with a 10" Eink screen. I want Wifi on this slate PC so I can move PDFs & etc on and _off_ easier.
That's an interesting idea.

I originally thought of the iLiad as a tablet computer. But because of the nature of the e-ink screen, you can't really use it like that. Every user function has to have a new interface built for it. So, many seldom used features are left out.

If eink devices were standardized and could run the same operating system across models, perhaps that would change. But in the meantime, you're at the mercy of the priorities of the manufacturer, and what they think is important to program.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
If eink devices were standardized and could run the same operating system across models, perhaps that would change. But in the meantime, you're at the mercy of the priorities of the manufacturer, and what they think is important to program.
I have high hopes for OpenInkpot.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #44
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
I don't know that I will be able to cancel the order. That event is dependent upon Irex responding to a customer. It might never happen.
Do a CC chargeback via your bank, should amount to the same thing
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #45
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Do a CC chargeback via your bank, should amount to the same thing
That's what I'll probably do, yes.