Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #76
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Ok, this may be just my Kinde, but the update to 1.0.4 increased the functionality of the default dictionary. Before the update, when I would look up a word, I could view the definition of the word, but couldn't go to the next page of the dictionary. Sometimes the definition of the word would be more than one page. And I couldn't do much about it.

Now when I look up a word, I can go the next page, and the next page, even on to different entries from with-in the little dictionary window pop-up. Couldn't do that before.
I don't notice that mine works any differently than under 1.0. The pop-up dictionary windows would always have page number at the bottom (i.e. Page 1 of 2) and I could page backwards and forwards for those pages but not beyond.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or maybe you are looking up differently. I'm just moving the cursor to a line in a book and selecting "Lookup".

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #77
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Ok, this may be just my Kinde, but the update to 1.0.4 increased the functionality of the default dictionary. Before the update, when I would look up a word, I could view the definition of the word, but couldn't go to the next page of the dictionary. Sometimes the definition of the word would be more than one page. And I couldn't do much about it.

Now when I look up a word, I can go the next page, and the next page, even on to different entries from with-in the little dictionary window pop-up. Couldn't do that before.

So have I made any sense here? Sorry, it's early!
That's strange...I have had that function since I got the gadget on Nov 21. It was there in the original firmware for me. Except I don't believe I have the 'pop-up window' you described.

I've read that for some reason the first batch of Kindles have not been updated yet.

Somebody sent me this in email:

'I’m sure Amazon is releasing the update in a “test” market. I know very few folks that received their Kindles in the first batch who have been contacted. I think this is for a reason. Perhaps it is because the firmware from later builds has been having issues, i.e battery, indexing and the like.'

Don't know if that's true or blowing smoke. I do know that I've bought 4 Kindles in my account and have yet to receive the update email.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #78
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
I don't notice that mine works any differently than under 1.0. The pop-up dictionary windows would always have page number at the bottom (i.e. Page 1 of 2) and I could page backwards and forwards for those pages but not beyond.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or maybe you are looking up differently. I'm just moving the cursor to a line in a book and selecting "Lookup".

Bob
Yeah, when mine would say Page 1 of 2, I couldn't get to the page 2.

Now, I can go way beyond that. I can keep pushing next page and the defined words change, so basically now I have the whole dictionary opened up. So basically if I select the word "ant," I can keep pushing the next page and get through all the A words, B words, etc. Not really useful at all after getting my full definition, but it is a change for my Kindle.

So I wonder if the update changed the dictionary function or if for mine, it just made it the way it was supposed to be in the first place.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #79
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
That's strange...I have had that function since I got the gadget on Nov 21. It was there in the original firmware for me. Except I don't believe I have the 'pop-up window' you described.

I've read that for some reason the first batch of Kindles have not been updated yet.

Somebody sent me this in email:

'I’m sure Amazon is releasing the update in a “test” market. I know very few folks that received their Kindles in the first batch who have been contacted. I think this is for a reason. Perhaps it is because the firmware from later builds has been having issues, i.e battery, indexing and the like.'

Don't know if that's true or blowing smoke. I do know that I've bought 4 Kindles in my account and have yet to receive the update email.
Mine was in the first batch, I actually ordered mine the first day they started selling them and got it the second day. But my update came from the brief download section that was put up a week ago or so. I had to copy the update to my Kindle, so I didn't update it via wireless.

But again, it could have been just a quirk of my Kindle that didn't allow the dictionary to work properly in the first place. It worked fine for the basic definition, but I never got to go into the "meat" of the definition (pronunciation, word origin, etc) until now.

But from the looks of it, based on people's reply, the update didn't really change the function after all. It just "fixed" mine. Good either way I suppose.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #80
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tried everything to get the new update but nothing worked, although I got part way there. I tried the alt+upshift+R+home but while the Kindle did reboot, it still showed ver. 1.0 in the settings. I then tried the Restart from the menu, but that didn't work either. I then did a hardware boot by removing the back cover, and with a straightened paper clip, did a reset from there, but that didn't work either -- all of them rebooted, but the settings still showed only ver. 1.0

Then I found a menu item -- hard to find -- that said it would update my Kindle software, so I tried that. I think this is really the right way -- it did an awful lot of work -- and finally the settings showed ver. 1.0.1 -- but not 1.0.4 -- disappointed of course. But that's at least part way. I think you must be connected to the right server to get the 1.0.4 to download, while I obviously am not.

Since I knew this would take a lot of juice from my battery, I left the battery plugged in the whole time I did the above, and the battery came out fully charged at the end.

And I'm stll waiting for someone who has the update to tell me and everybody else just what it does that is different.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #81
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Now, I can go way beyond that. I can keep pushing next page and the defined words change, so basically now I have the whole dictionary opened up. So basically if I select the word "ant," I can keep pushing the next page and get through all the A words, B words, etc. Not really useful at all after getting my full definition, but it is a change for my Kindle.
Oh yeah - mine does that too. I never noticed it before, maybe it is new.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #82
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
Oh yeah - mine does that too. I never noticed it before, maybe it is new.

Bob
It is not new. I could do that with my 1.0 firmware starting from day one...
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 AM   #83
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They also obfuscated their Java classes this time
So igor, is it possible to construct a customized firmware now? I think you know the way to scramble/descramble the bin file, aren't you?

I have the 1.0.4 bin file here, I am eagerly to know if I can replace the Caecilia font with another font, possibly with unicode support, and flash it.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #84
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Um, I'll try to do another post "soon" summarizing my various findings...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #85
lovebeta
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Um, I'll try to do another post "soon" summarizing my various findings...
Cool!

I could imagine that hacking kindle will be harder,... due to the ota firmware push ability. Can amazon detect a cooked rom and push an official one? I have kept my Whispernet down for the last couple of days in fear of new firmware update being irreversible (like the iphone stuff). But it is getting harder and harder as I have to buy/sample books and check wiki. I remembered that you mentioned in your blog that there's a hidden software switch to turn off the auto update. Is it really useful and safe to use?

Anyway, take you time.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #86
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Question for Igor

I have two Kindles, one for 'backup' in case the main one fritzes out.

I'm out of EVDO range and can choose when & if I get the update.

Is there any reason NOT to get the update on one.....or both?

I wonder if there is some code inserted to disable further hacking, such as Jobs has done in Iphone updates.

It might be well to keep at least one unit in the 1.0 firmware. I don't use Kindle #2 much at all at present.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #87
trokair
trokair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Looks like the release window has been extended...

Quote:
If you don't receive the update wirelessly between February 14 and March 15 or travel outside our wireless coverage area and cannot receive the update automatically via Whispernet, we'll post instructions for applying the update manually on this Help page soon after the rollout of the wireless updates is completed. We appreciate your patience.
trokair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #88
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have a replacement Kindle which arrived the end of the first week of February. I'm still running 1.0 with the Dictionary bug. I know that eventually I'll get the update since I use Whispernet several times daily.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #89
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
We have not noticed any difference with the update, no improvements nor problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
I have two Kindles, one for 'backup' in case the main one fritzes out.

I'm out of EVDO range and can choose when & if I get the update.

Is there any reason NOT to get the update on one.....or both?

I wonder if there is some code inserted to disable further hacking, such as Jobs has done in Iphone updates.

It might be well to keep at least one unit in the 1.0 firmware. I don't use Kindle #2 much at all at present.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #90
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
This is for anyone (like me) who hadn't gotten the update. It was posted in another forum, I tried it, and it worked. Do an Alt + Up Arrow + R + Home. This resets the Kindle and, when I did this, it immediately started the download process. Put it to 'sleep' and wait. You should see it reboot in 20-30 minutes as it applies.

Does this erase the current contents of the kindle as well or is it only performing the update?

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote