Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Swythan
Swythan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Chapters broken when buying a book after reading the preview

The following problem has happened to me both times I've bought a book from Kobo after reading the preview on my Kobo Touch:

I read the preview to the end, and then bought the book (once on the website, once on the device). When I try and read the book, it starts on the title page, and won't get page-turn past the early pages of the book ("other books by this author" on one "reviews of this book" on another.

If I look in the Table of Contents: all the chapters are there twice.

If I use the TOC to get to a chapter: I can page-turn all the way to the end of the chapter, but then it takes me back to the same page it got stuck on above.

The first time it happened I fixed it by deleting the book from my library, and then putting it back by settting a bookmark on the kobobooks website (NOT an obvious way to get it back!).

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, is there an easier workaround?

Thanks.
Swythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
That is exactly what happened to me. I had purchased, after reading the whole preview on my iPad app, from the iPad. I think I was able to buy from the app itself.
The book was then totally unstable, double chapters, bookmarks not working. I deleted it but was unable to download it again to my iPad. I did get it on my Touch but it would not download through the Kobo desktop I had to use ADE and put it on the Touch that way. It still is not on my iPad. I don't carry both with me all day so I really miss having my current book on the train etc.
I'll be very interested to know if this has happened to others. I posted about it last week but no replies.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
I just finished a book with this problem. I slogged through it by going to the TOC at the end of every chapter.

I was going to try deleting the book and adding back in but I didn't want to do that until I finished it, just in case I lost it entirely.

Another thing, in the Kobo app on my phone (Android), the chapters are completely empty.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie_ms View Post
I just finished a book with this problem. I slogged through it by going to the TOC at the end of every chapter.

I was going to try deleting the book and adding back in but I didn't want to do that until I finished it, just in case I lost it entirely.

Another thing, in the Kobo app on my phone (Android), the chapters are completely empty.
I don't think it's possible to permanently delete a book from your Kobo account.

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-30-2012 at 11:55 AM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Swythan

Deleting seems the only option...

I sent the same query to Kobo support and their reply was as follows:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care.

For the books that are giving you this error now we probably will have to delete and re-add the. After that you are going to sync both your desktop and your device.

1. Go to the Kobo website (www.kobo.com) on your computer.
2. Sign into your Kobo account.
3. Go to MY LIBRARY and select the TRASH section.
4. Check mark the eBook you wish to un-delete and select the pink UNDELETE button.
5. This will re-add the eBook to your I'M READING page and you will be able to read the eBook again!

To prevent this from happening again, when purchasing a book perhaps delete the preview first and make sure your device is fully updated.
Which is disappointing.

I actually tried this and found that it didn't actually work as described (the book wasn't in my Trash).

What I did was:
  1. Delete the book from my library (on the Kobo)
  2. Hit the "Sync" (cloud) icon on the top-right corner of the Kobo
  3. Went to "My Library" on kobo.com
  4. Checked the "Trash" section - It was empty!
  5. Went to the "Purchased" section
  6. Checked the box next to the book I just deleted and clicked the "Bookmark" button.
  7. Confirmed that I wanted to bookmark page 1
  8. Hit the "Sync" cloud icon on the Kobo again. This made the book download again. Hurrah!

That appears to be the quickest way to make it work. If it happens again I'll have to see if the web-based part of that is possible from the browser on the Kobo. The first time this happened I ended up having to get out of bed and head downstairs to the laptop so that I could carry on reading!

I hope it doesn't do this every time I buy from a preview. That would be a bit of a sales & marketing failure!
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Can anyone tell me why my book won't go to my Kobo app when I refresh. It is on my Touch. I have tried all the above.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
Can anyone tell me why my book won't go to my Kobo app when I refresh. It is on my Touch. I have tried all the above.
What is the name of the book and the author?
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I'm having the same problem on my Touch - 11/22/63 Stephen King.
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I just had the exact thing happen to me, I had the preview on my KT and then I bought the book from kobo. At the end of each chapter it would take me back to a page in the beginning. I slogged through going to the TOC at the end of each chapter and selecting the next chapter. I don't remember this happening to me when I had a preview of another book then went on to purchase it.

Perhaps it is a bug with release .17 .... is everyone that had the problem using .17?
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Swythan

Lightbulb

If other people are having this problem too, then I'd suggest they contact Kobo support at help@kobobooks.com.

They won't give you any more help than me, I imagine, but at least it will let them know how widespread the problem is. I'm a software developer myself, and I can assure you that bugs that are only reported by only one person don't usually end up on the top of the "fix it" pile (unless they cause data-loss)!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannont View Post
Perhaps it is a bug with release .17 .... is everyone that had the problem using .17?
Yep. I have .17.

For what it's worth, deleting the book, syncing the Kobo, then adding the book back in and re-syncing fixed it.

This is really annoying though. Because Kobo doesn't have a shopping cart, I use previews to remind me which books I want to read. It looks like I'll have to delete the preview before I buy the book now.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Orn8one
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
What is the name of the book and the author?
Sorry I missed your reply to me. The book was called Liar Lair by (I think) K T Larson. It had a promising preview but wasn't my kind of book. I had all kinds of trouble with it and ended up not liking it! I just use the website now and use 'GoodReads' for recommendations. I hope to avoid any further contact with customer (no) service.