Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Anyway to use Kindle mbp file with Calibre?

Is anyone using Kindle .mbp files in conjunction with Calibre?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
What are you trying to do with them?? I use the fetch annotations function in Calibre to download into my metadata to keep track of my bookmarks/notes.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
What are you trying to do with them?? I use the fetch annotations function in Calibre to download into my metadata to keep track of my bookmarks/notes.
hummm... my thinking was wrong. I use Kindle for Mac (desktop) and Kindle app on my iPad. I was confused about having two "libraries" on my iMac, the Calbre lib and Kindle lib. I now realize (as I always should have) that when the .mobi file is launched from calibre it is actually launching the file from the Kindle lib. (if not present, Calibre it copies it there upon launch.)

So I guess I just need to always the the most updated .mbp file current on whichever device I'm on, and when on my Mac desktop it needs to be in the Kindle lib, having nothing to do with the Calibre lib, right?

Also, I'm not familiar with the "fetch annotations" feature in Calibre nor do I find it in the help files. Could you explain please.

Let me add... Having a great book database (Calibre) seems a little less great if I also have to keep track of the mbp files outside of Calibre.

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-14-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
MBP files have limited support. "Fetch Annotations" is the only way it is supported. It only retrieves annotations form Kindle (Sony but they use a different format) devices. Otherwise there is no support for tracking, storing, or transferring. MBP files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
MBP files have limited support. "Fetch Annotations" is the only way it is supported. It only retrieves annotations form Kindle (Sony but they use a different format) devices. Otherwise there is no support for tracking, storing, or transferring. MBP files.
Ok.. got it.. thanks for the information! I appreciate it.
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you aware that when you use any of the kindle apps and you use the highlight/bookmark/notes that they will be uploaded to Amazon if they are Amazon books? If they are non-Amazon books then Calibre would be the best place to maintain those files. Although Calibre only has limited functionality for the files, you can use Calibre to fetch them from your kindle and then back them up on your hard drive or you can also use a plugboard template to upload the data into the metadata of the file, see here for instructions : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949

Sorry I do not know to point it to the exact page but it is the "Reading/read status custom column (Kindle) (pchrist7, w/ideas from beckywc):" one in the first post.

BTW: You asked a similar question regarding these files in four different places, which will make it harder for you to get some assistance.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer

nynaevelan... I read/research, almost exclusively, public domain works from the 1700's and 1800's, mostly from epubs from google books that I convert to mobi using Calibre, therfore, there is no sync with Amazon.

Yes, you are right about the "almost duplicate" posts and I apologize for that. It certainly wasn't my intent. As I sit here "trying" things and as ideas and realizations pop into my head I tend to post a quick question instead of sitting back and collecting my thoughts. Again, I apologize.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

No prob, just want to make sure you get some assistance. I am going to test with my library now, but the last time I tried it it wouldn't work, which is why I started using the fetch annotations method along with the template that I pointed you to in the other post. I also backup my mbp files to a backup drive. But I only save the versions from the kindle. I only use the kindle app to update the amazon versions (for those that I purchased from Amazon). But I get my books from many sources so the Amazon method is not helpful for me either. But the best part I like about the fetch annotation method is it gives me quick access to the bookmark information in the Calibre library.

Also, after I have read the book and I know I will not be adding any more notes to it, I use Calibre to re-convert it to mobi and add the summary info to the first page of the book, so that gives me a more permanent lookup for the data also. A little excessive, I know but I think I have a little OCD in me.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
nynaevelan... I read/research, almost exclusively, public domain works from the 1700's and 1800's, mostly from epubs from google books that I convert to mobi using Calibre, therfore, there is no sync with Amazon.

Yes, you are right about the "almost duplicate" posts and I apologize for that. It certainly wasn't my intent. As I sit here "trying" things and as ideas and realizations pop into my head I tend to post a quick question instead of sitting back and collecting my thoughts. Again, I apologize.
Just reply to your original "on topic" thread as ideas or questions happen.
If you think you posted in the wrong section, one of the Calibre Mods will be glad to relocate the thread.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I just ran some tests, I can use the kindle created mbp files in the kindle for pc app but I cannot use the kindle for pc mbp files on the kindle. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the k2 or all kindles, probably just the k2.

Nyn
Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
I just ran some tests, I can use the kindle created mbp files in the kindle for pc app but I cannot use the kindle for pc mbp files on the kindle. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the k2 or all kindles, probably just the k2.

Nyn
I just tested too - iPad created mbp works both ways any number of times. Kindle for Mac (desktop) created mbp does not work when placed on iPad. (similar post in Plugins, I'm so so sorry, I'm going to stop posting now.)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

I did some tests between my k2, galaxy tab and k4pc on my Win7 32 bit computer and the notes/highlights and bookmarks work with all three devices no matter where it is created. I also did some tests between my k2 and my Win7 64 bit desktop, all the notes and highlights work from the kindle to k4pc but the k4pc created ones do not work on my kindle, so maybe it has something to do with the 64 bit app.

Nyn
Old 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
1611mac
eWanderer

I used "HexEdit" to look at Mac and iPad generated Kindle mbp files last night. Sure enough, the mbp generated on the iPad has one more "parameter" in the header than the mbp created on the iMac (Kindle for mac) application. Once present, this "parameter" stayed even when the mbp was put to use with Kindle on the Mac desktop.

I also verified for a third time that the desktop application created mbp file will not work when copied to the ipad but the ipad mbp will work on both, even after multiples moves back and forth.

So.... Since I never know which "eDevice" I'll be reading on, I now put the book on my iPad first, even if I'm going to read and markup on my iMac desktop. Once on the iPad I then copy the "empty" mbp file from the iPad to my Kindle lib on the desktop (via Kindle app in iTunes). (This only takes a few seconds.)

Hope all that makes sense.

Why am I so "picky" about all this?... Again, my reading is for reference and education so it is very important that I be able to have my notes, and other marks working so I must be SURE of what works and sure that my mbp is a good one that will work cross-device.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

So in order to get this work, you will always have to use the ipad mbp file? If you take the ipad file and put it on the imac and make notes in the imac, can you move that file back to the ipad and it will work on the ipad and imac??
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
So in order to get this work, you will always have to use the ipad mbp file? If you take the ipad file and put it on the imac and make notes in the imac, can you move that file back to the ipad and it will work on the ipad and imac??
I will always use an iPad GENERATED mbp file. One you have that file it works on both, and yes, you can add to on either and it still works.

I sent an email to Kindle Support suggesting they have the Desktop application create the same exact file as kindle (header info) and I received a note back to call them, so guess I'll do that.

Now that I see the difference in the mbp file I guess technically if I had an "Old" file it could be altered with the "new" header parm.

And the reason I'm in this forum is I wish that somehow I could store the mbp with the .mobi file in calibre. Something like a holding folder for each book for any kind of file, notes, etc. etc. Anyone?

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.