Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
New version 1.4.0.0 available

The new version is now available on addons.mozilla.org: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/45281.

Here is what I changed:

Changes
  • Now it's possible to read ePub-files similar like real books: jump from page to page without scrolling and switch automatically to the next chapter. This is available in Firefox 3.6 or later.

Bugfixes
  • In some ePub-files it was not possible to switch to the next chapter.
  • In some cases it was not possible to save the changed preferences.

The following translations are still missing, because they are not finished right now: Catalan, Hungarian, Italian, Swedish and Turkish. The missing translations will be included in the final version.

As always, please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you .

Last edited by mikelv; 10-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Attached you find the new version 1.4.0.0.

Here is what I changed:

Changes
  • Now it's possible to read ePub-files similar like real books: jump from page to page without scrolling and switch automatically to the next chapter. This is available in Firefox 3.6 or later.

Bugfixes
  • In some ePub-files it was not possible to switch to the next chapter.
  • In some cases it was not possible to save the changed preferences.

The following translations are still missing, because they are not finished right now: Catalan, Hungarian, Italian, Swedish and Turkish. The missing translations will be included in the final version.

As always, please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you .
I broke it when I re-sized my window:

BTW it was really cool, until I messed it up. Just like a book
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split_it.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	59989  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I broke it when I re-sized my window:

BTW it was really cool, until I messed it up. Just like a book
Thanks for your feedback!

Could you please tell me the exact steps you did until it was broken? It seems to be a special case because resizing itself shouldn't cause a problem.

What happens, when you reload the book via the reload button? Is the problem fixed afterwards?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback!

Could you please tell me the exact steps you did until it was broken? It seems to be a special case because resizing itself shouldn't cause a problem.

What happens, when you reload the book via the reload button? Is the problem fixed afterwards?
I just dragged Firefox's Left edge wider. I had already shrunk the TOC pane.

Reload made things Normal and set me back to the beginning of the chapter.

BTW XP SP3 FF 3.6.10 (11 downloading now)

I just tried this: If I re-size Firefox with any of the TOC still open, it breaks. If I re-size the TOC, it fixes itself.
If I colapse the TOC it is good.

Last edited by theducks; 10-20-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: More
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
I just dragged Firefox's Left edge wider. I had already shrunk the TOC pane.
Damn! I've tested so many things, but obviously missed this one .

I could reproduce it and try to fix it soon.
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Damn! I've tested so many things, but obviously missed this one .

I could reproduce it and try to fix it soon.
Glad to have helped find the bugs.
(I think I set a new personal record, brek a program within 30 minutes of release AND figure out what I did to break it , and report it )

BTW I was one of the people that asked for this viewing mode. so
Old 10-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update. Amazing new features! Reading styles are super cool!

I have a couple of issues/suggestions.

1) In case at first there was set Reading style "Book"and then Reading style is changed to "Website" there is no vertical scrollbar displayed. In order to display scrollbar one should click on the link in Contents pane. It seems that this behavior should be considered a bug.

2) It would be good if in "Book" reading mode some indicator were displayed showing how much the reader has proceeded in reading the chapter. (In website reading mode the vertical scrollbar indicates how much the reader has proceeded).
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Glad to have helped find the bugs.
(I think I set a new personal record, brek a program within 30 minutes of release AND figure out what I did to break it , and report it )

BTW I was one of the people that asked for this viewing mode. so
Okay, the problem should be fixed. Please install again the attached version.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Hi Laisvunas,

great that you like the new version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvunas View Post
1) In case at first there was set Reading style "Book"and then Reading style is changed to "Website" there is no vertical scrollbar displayed. In order to display scrollbar one should click on the link in Contents pane. It seems that this behavior should be considered a bug.
Yes, you are right, this is a bug. I'll try to fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvunas View Post
2) It would be good if in "Book" reading mode some indicator were displayed showing how much the reader has proceeded in reading the chapter. (In website reading mode the vertical scrollbar indicates how much the reader has proceeded).
Yes, I already thought about this. But I think this is something for one of the future versions . I put it on the change list.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay, the problem should be fixed. Please install again the attached version.
Ok that works.

New issue
2 col mode
book has asymmetrical margins (2pt,16pt) because of ADE 'page numbers' on my reader.
The second col does not honor the Right margin set in the book. In 1 col mode, it does. The first col appears to do it correct.

You can say "NO"
Old 10-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #11
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yes, I already thought about this. But I think this is something for one of the future versions . I put it on the change list.
Perhaps simple horizontal srollbar would be sufficient. BTW, in Lucifox/Lucidor horizontal srollbar indicates how much the reader has proceeded in reading chapter .
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
New issue
2 col mode
book has asymmetrical margins (2pt,16pt) because of ADE 'page numbers' on my reader.
The second col does not honor the Right margin set in the book. In 1 col mode, it does. The first col appears to do it correct.

You can say "NO"
Hm, interesting problem .

I tried to reproduce it but couldn't manage it. Could you please post a screenshot? Even better, could you make the book available? But I guess that this is not possible due to legal issues .
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Just tested it on my works PC and it works great! Love the fact that I can put it into book mode and change it to a single/multiple columns and then change pages by clicking on the left-side to go back a page and on the right-side to go forward a page.

I'll test it on my brand-new convertible laptop when I get home and see if this works with my finger tapping the screen when it's in portrait tablet mode. If it does then you've resolved my request for touch-screen support and have given me a fantastic eBook reader for my new PC.

It's about time PC's were given a decent touch-screen reader and it looks like you've made me a very happy man. Karma to you.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hm, interesting problem .

I tried to reproduce it but couldn't manage it. Could you please post a screenshot? Even better, could you make the book available? But I guess that this is not possible due to legal issues .
I don't know what the problem was caused by. The copy in epubreader was NOT the same as what I had in Calibre (close enough that the variations were hard to spot) .
And yes, it was a Webscription file so I won't post. I freshened the copy in epubreader an the problem is gone.

(where does epubreader stash it's library?)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
I don't know what the problem was caused by. The copy in epubreader was NOT the same as what I had in Calibre (close enough that the variations were hard to spot) .
And yes, it was a Webscription file so I won't post. I freshened the copy in epubreader an the problem is gone.

(where does epubreader stash it's library?)
Okay, please let me know, when the problem occurs again.

EPUBReader stores the epubs in a subdirectory of the Firefox profile folder. You can easily get a copy of the stored file, if you click on the disk symbol in the navigationbar or in the private library. If you imported the same file again, the old version is replaced by the new one.

There is only one chance how you can get the old version: the old version is deleted when you restart Firefox. So if you didn't restart FF after you imported it the second time, the old version is still there. If this is the case, please let me know and I can tell you the easiest way to find it.